Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:13

All times are UTC+02:00

us 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 10:43 
Likes to type... (229)
As you all know, since the 1.3 update, the server has been given an overhaul on how the server runs. I'm doing this critique to analyze all the differences of the previous Homestead/Bedlam combo system, seeing as there has been some mixed feelings when it comes to this. Another note, this is not just about the plugin, this is about the new spawn and other technical changes.

Towny has literally changed the very fundamentals of the game. No more free building, you must pay for land to build on, and the Green Zone, just to name a few. Towny, at first, was a very intimidating change to most people, including me, but now a month has passed and I've been playing for a while now, so i'm pretty much used to the system.

The Pros:

--New spawn
It was about time the changes i've been preaching have been put in the server. Information upfront instead of not being written anywhere is a good thing, however, it's not laid out how I had in mind, it's just all there at once, nothing is making anyone read it. As for the spawn's layout, It's rather efficient to find the portals and the market, only thing I'd change is to remove some of the trees and such blocking view of the portals and add some signs.

--100% grief free (sorta.)
Without being able to build without claiming land, nobody can touch your stuff except you! However, if you're a part of a town, an unruly assistant would be the only person to do anything to your things. Pick a town with good staff!

However, there was really no grief before anyways. Having to be registered+ to build in Homestead, very few people were actually griefers. On top of that, griefers were cought very quickly and demoted. And on top of that (again), people could use residence to protect their property in the first place. This is almost not a Pro for the Towny change.

--A self-cleaning server
The server basically cleans itself. If a town dies or a plot is unclaimed, the chunks are regenerated.

However, the map is so big that ruins would not be an eyesore on the server.

--Extended map lifetime
People won't be as bored during the end-game because they have to spend time maintaining what they have. It's also harder, as well as taking more time, to gain materials and wealth, thus, keeping people interested longer.

The Cons:

--The player market
Where is it?

--Still not beginner friendly
It's not obvious enough to new people what to do. Like I said about the spawn, nothing is making them read anything, whether it be a sign or a book. The massive glob of signs are just sitting there being walked past. Not to mention Towny is a complicated plugin, even after reading the signs a new player probably wouldn't understand how the server works.

--Too advanced for people new to the game
Say, hypothetically, a player has the knowledge to create a town. Okay, but if they're new to the game they can't maintain or grow it. I would not be where I am if it weren't for my knowledge of the game (diamond finding, enchanting, monster killing techniques, etc)

--Limited Building
While this could be a good thing to stop people from building everywhere, it really stops people from playing the game. Basic natural resources may be hard to obtain, such as water or sand. The very fact that people are limited to the land they buy is very deterring to their want to play on this server.

--Forcing people to play because of the threat of losing all of their possesions
This is probably the worst thing about Towny. People have to come back and make money to keep their stuff, or they lose EVERYTHING! Some people will just realise this and just say "forget it" and not play altogether. Others won't be so lucky, not play for a month and come back with all of their things gone due to land regeneration or a town owner clearing their plot.

My Summary:
Towny seemed to fix problems that didn't exist, on top of that, creating big, new, glaring ones, not to mention not fixing the problems from before: the lack of active, new people. While there may be more of a sense of accomplishment, there's always something holding you back and giving you negative thoughts about the system. This seems to be a downgrade from an active community server, to a passive server that's "just there" and needs no attention. The feeling of being completely free to do whatever (to an extend) is gone. The only thing out of this whole change that was completely positive is the new spawn.

We could have done better than this :(

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 12:03 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Pizzaman194 wrote:
(My critique of the server)
Pizzaman194 wrote:
It was about time the changes i've been preaching have been put in the server
Pizzaman194 wrote:
We could have done better than this :(
The level of arrogance you hold and sheer volume of ego you cart around with you simply staggers my mind. You should go into politics as that is the only place someone as self opinionated as you could ever exist without getting shot.

First up, we have not been waiting with baited breath, desperate to receive our Pizzaman Report Card. Second you have never "preached" changes, just change: the difference is immense. Third, and most important of all, there is no "we" here, sunshine. There is me and there is frimple and there is Spike. The server exists because of us. It has nothing to do with YOU.

Let me break this down for you. Again. For like the 50th time. 'Cos clearly you have a disorder:
The previous server DID NOT WORK. Do you get that? DO you see the words to the left? DO you comprehend them? THE SERVER DID NOT WORK. Bedlam was a perfect solution - I should know: it was mine - but it was ABUSED CONSTANTLY by its player base. Bedlam near killed the server, driving every last guest out of there as the standing players just abused them and never once thought to help them. Add the fact that the OP team fucked off (again, looking at you, though not SOLELY at you this time) so there was no one around to manage the place and we spent all our time with a totally fucking empty server.

As to your fetish regarding spawn - the changes you suggested boiled down to this: Add more signs in a place that forces people to read them. This shows nothing more than how utterly clueless you are regarding the server. We cannot, for blood, money, bribery or threats, get the average SMP guests to read ONE FUCKING SIGN at spawn and yet your master-plan is to have them jammed in a room that they cannot escape until they read a whole volume of books. IT WILL NEVER WORK. THIS IS WHY I DID NOT DO IT. The entire concept is patently gibberish to anyone with even a modicum of intelligence and yet you are still banging on about it.

As to Towny: I know its a bad idea. I have said this over and over and over and over. It is too draconian, too limiting and too automated. The problem is that even though you were all given in excess of 6 months to suggest an even partly working strategy for how to run the server, not one of you made even the slightest attempt to do so. You, like several other members, did not even give Towny a chance, instantly just pouting and whining and moaning that you want the old server back. The old server that you NEVER PLAYED ON. The old server cannot come back; its not possible. But don't let mere facts, logic and me being utterly right as usual get in the way of a good grumble.
As to your last statement about "Towny seemed to fix problems that didn't exist", that is just ignorant. It fixed the problem that we had no other protection options and the ones we used to have were never used by most people. It fixed the problem that the map used to look like a god damned war-zone as people simply strip mined the shit out of it. It fixed that fact that the map has to be self managed as the admin team are never, ever fucking on. It fixed the fact that people did not know what to do as no one was on to help them (see previous point). It provides a totally comprehensive, self teaching system for managing the server. Is it more difficult than Residence? No flatly, its a fuck load easier, just more in-depth. Is it more difficult than vanilla MC? Sure, but we cannot just let people do what they want. No, its not blindingly simply, yes it takes a little effort, but that is how it has to be. If you disagree MAKE A SUGGESTION AS TO HOW TO CHANGE IT! But no, you never will. You are a critic, not a thinker. Always part of the problem, never part of the solution.

So what will happen? Nothing. Nothing at all. You wont suggest any way to fix things and will continue to peddle lies that you do and the server will drift on, slowly dying and joining FB in the "shit we no longer support as the community clearly is totally out of fucks to give" category. This is enormously depressing for me but I have done all I can. I have given you fun high-maintenance servers, I have given you secure servers and I have given you what I still know to be the perfect server. You have abused and ignored them all so there is nothing more I can do.

Oh and FYI, cry as much as you like about my tone in this post. I know I am being angry and dismissive, but that is because I feel like I am talking to a bucket full of retarded children. No one listens, no one learns, no one does anything other than drool and moan. As I have been screaming at the FB community for months now, this is down to you lot. I can built whatever server you like and SPA can provide whatever backup and support you need to run it but YOU have to decide what server YOU want as that is the only chance we have of YOU actually SHOWING UP!

us 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 13:40 
Likes to type... (229)
Why do I even bother...oh wait. It's because I DO give two shits about this community.

I am absolutely shocked by the level of negativity you put in yet another one of your bashings.

Allow me to refute what you said.
Quote:
The previous server DID NOT WORK.
YES, it didn't. This isn't news to me. I was the one who started advocating for change. Remember? SMP is dying?
Quote:
As to your fetish regarding spawn
The spawn is very important. It is the prime dictator whether or not when a player logs in that they actually play the game instead of logging off immediately. If you want decent people on the server, you're gonna need A LITTLE faith in humanity and give them a few signs to read.
Quote:
If you disagree MAKE A SUGGESTION AS TO HOW TO CHANGE IT!
I didn't want to give suggestions yet because 1. I didn't think of one yet, and 2. I just wanted to get the ball rolling. But you probably ruined that because since you posted this full page bashing NO ONE will make suggestions. So thanks for that.

Another thing. I played the hell out of the last map and liked it, I was expecting improvements for everyone but apparently that never happened. I did try this map (contrary to most other whiners) and I can say it's not as fun.

And frankly, you just treat everyone like shit. You know who I am, why won't you respect my opinion instead of just calling everyone retards, and calling me an egoistic kid.

Why do I even go out of my way to play here if you won't get through your head of yours that most people here aren't fucking 9 years old.

us 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 14:18 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Hmm, Interesting :P

Well, you're both right in my eyes.

Pizza, lets be honest, out of all the OPs, we are all inactive. We needed something that could manage itself when we weren't around.

As to the spawn, we do need a great spawn, spawn fetishes are great, but I feel the spawn is the best it can be. If they choose to read the signs, good for them, if not, we push them a little in the right direction(Telling them where to go, what to do, etc.)

I disagree with one thing, that towny is bad. It's great, for all the reasons you said Howard. That's what makes it great. I love the idea of having to actually care to have a house. Skipping work can foreclose your house, literally. I like it, not much more to add.

To pizza, if you do have a better idea, make a thread, a big thread, detailing every aspect that the server would require, what plugins, permissions and ofc, you've got to test it.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 14:49 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
I do not treat anyone like shit, let alone everyone but I am sick and god-damned tired of the same old crap being rolled around and around. The last map failed because of the players - period. The new map is a solution but not one I really like (one of the many, many, many reasons why I don't set foot on it) but wailing and gnashing our teeth will not change that. You ("you" being "the players") need some ideas. I am open to all suggestions that make sense (a pretty low bar to set really, especially as it is me that has to do all the work around here) but there are none forthcoming.

1.3 was shit of a patch - most (seriously MOST) of the plugins died. All the block trackers and ALL the player controlled protection systems went up in smoke bar Towny so I had no other choice. 1.4 is gonna be the same, killing another slew of plugins and 1.5 (if the API finally arrives) will turn the server on its head and kill every plugin there is. At the best of times this is a tough thing to run but now its just a nightmare. Any options that do not include Towny require MASSIVE input from the OP staff as everything has to be managed in real-time and the simple fact is I cannot even consider them as the admin staff have vanished (not pointing fingers - real life does happen). This, as I so often had to explain to the rest of SpA Management is just not like other servers (other games I mean). If people are not on the ball and the guests not managed, the whole server can be crippled or destroyed in seconds and we simply don't have the facilities (or willpower come to that) to organise regular enough backups.

I'll say it again - any and all suggestions welcome but people standing on their soap boxes, claiming involvement or giving patronising soliloquies about how they new better will receive nothing by my anger and scorn.

us 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2012, 23:04 
Likes to type... (229)
So...let me get this straight. Saying that I have a big ego, that I would get shot outside of politics, and saying that I have a disorder still makes me better than a peice of shit? Whatever.

Okay, so Towny was a must. Why couldn't it be set up like the old map? Turn on wilderness building, turn off wilderness regeneration, chunk-by-chunk protection would be okay if it couldnt be helped.
Quote:
I'll say it again - any and all suggestions welcome but people standing on their soap boxes, claiming involvement or giving patronising soliloquies about how they new better will receive nothing by my anger and scorn.
Here's where you're still wrong. I am VERY much involved. This might sound too childish for you so bear with me, I did a LOT to keep the old map running. I've been the guy helping out almost everybody. I also banned the most people for xraying. I played every day for the longest time. So how could you say that I'm not involved out of the few people that are left.

us 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 02:57 
Crap at posting (40)
Pizza first off.... you have the biggest god damn balls ever. Period.

Next, Howard I know you have a lot of idiots that are always giving you and the admin team shit, and I don't think anyone here is one of those. I do believe Pizza is trying to help here, even if there are no suggestions. It's constructive criticism, and it may help. I do know that he is involved, I've seen him on the server a lot :P Although I can't get on now, because I'm lovin me some flower pots. :26

Now then, I can't offer any suggestions, so you'll probably stop reading right now. But I am complete CRAP at finding good plugins, tried it once, and got nowhere. So that's one job for another day.
I'm just going to ask this question for clarification though, I thought we had all agreed on the famed "option 5" that was suggested, by you Howard. Not sure if I missed a huge debate or not, but I never saw a mention of a Towny plugin in there. We had agreed on a simple change, with 1 map and no shunning of guests. This seemed like a great change to me, but was it ever tried? I think we can see the change that came with Towny, we've lost a LOT of players that were very frequent around here. And what is your definition of "Never played on"? I played almost on a daily basis, and I know others that did. And those others have been lost. So I guess my "suggestion" (If you want to call this stupid thing I just thought up a suggestion) is that we do what the option 5 suggested. 1 map, no shunning of guests to a different map. The protection plugin I have no idea what to do, as I stated above with my finding plugins problem. But I do hope that there is one simple enough where we can still have a free building world, with protections. Probably a pipe dream, with the plugins being non-updated and just dead, but I don't know.

And I do realize that Towny might not go away, and I can live with this. It's an "Ok" plugin in my eyes, but I think that there are better solutions. (Yes I KNOW I didn't suggest any solutions) It does help with grief, actually it near damn eliminates grief, but takes away the buildings that could be griefed. So it's protecting what's not there?

Oh and one last point, we may indeed be a bucket of retarded children, but at least we're a bucket of retarded children that care about this server, this community, and this game. We may not be the best at suggesting, communicating, or just whatever else that seems it should come easy but doesn't, but we do all share a love for this server. (at least I hope, cause I sure damn do) So I'm open for criticism and suggestions! :D

fi 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 03:57 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Once upon a time there was a Howard who came up with the Towny-idea. The plugin was suggested in the past, though he never got to implementing it. Sure, at that time things were running somewhat smoothly.
      So, as I said, Howard came up with the idea and asked the people on the server about what they thought of the plugin. We agreed it seemed nice. As time passed and no objections were made, it was quite clear we were going to use Towny. Alas, shortly after the new setting was online, people who rarely were on - especially when decisions were made - suddenly re-appeared and started shouting "this is shit, I won't play anymore".

I don't see the big deal here. Towny doesn't restrict building, it only restricts outsiders' ability to destroy things. Pretty much all the non-idiots get [R], which means they can set up a town and claim as many chunks as they want. This only means that people can no longer go building gigantic shitholes, go away for a month and see it all griefed to bits. No, now you have to plan your absences and use your brain. Kindergarten folks could do that.
      Why would you want a free world where everyone can do what ever they want? Casual griefing is not bannable on our server, not even punishable. Larger raids and intentional "omglolwutwtf I'm going to grief the hell out of all the buildings, I'm only here to cause destruction"-griefing on the other hand has been punishable. Without protections we'd all go nuts. People cry and spam "I was griefed, ban the fucker" all day long and there is nothing we can do. I can relate to that from two points of view - once I cried and spammed like that, now I have to listen to it. Rather, I once had to. Thanks, Towny.
      I hate anarchy.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

us 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 04:16 
Has learned to write! (161)
Stesser not sure if you missed this but
Quote:
most (seriously MOST) of the plugins died. All the block trackers and ALL the player controlled protection systems went up in smoke bar Towny
Towny is what we've got, and I agree with Samiak. It isn't that restricting on building. You make money and you buy plots.
I will say it makes mining a little more difficult and expensive, but that means everything you mine is worth more which means the economy of the server isn't going to collapse because you can't just hop in you over sized mine and clear out more of the worlds resources whenever you want. You have to work together with other people on the server to get the things you want and need.

[22:26] <+PTB2> UNICORN_XD: well not so much hitting it but rubbing it on my face because it was soft XD

[21:17]<+SMPB> (Patogy) what were you expecting to eat?
[21:17] <@Aadolf> Shit.

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 08:33 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
stesser wrote:
I'm just going to ask this question for clarification though, I thought we had all agreed on the famed "option 5" that was suggested, by you Howard. Not sure if I missed a huge debate or not, but I never saw a mention of a Towny plugin in there. We had agreed on a simple change, with 1 map and no shunning of guests. This seemed like a great change to me, but was it ever tried? I think we can see the change that came with Towny, we've lost a LOT of players that were very frequent around here. And what is your definition of "Never played on"? I played almost on a daily basis, and I know others that did. And those others have been lost. So I guess my "suggestion" (If you want to call this stupid thing I just thought up a suggestion) is that we do what the option 5 suggested. 1 map, no shunning of guests to a different map. The protection plugin I have no idea what to do, as I stated above with my finding plugins problem. But I do hope that there is one simple enough where we can still have a free building world, with protections. Probably a pipe dream, with the plugins being non-updated and just dead, but I don't know.
Because that option required 2 things: 1) residence which shut down and there is no plugin to replace it and 2) a large and active OP team which we do not have.
Without a player-controlled, self-serving protection system, that style of map can no longer function. A few people are working on replacing/recoding Residence from scratch but no one has released anything.

Pizza...I'll deal with you later...

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 09:20 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Pizzaman194 wrote:
So...let me get this straight. Saying that I have a big ego, that I would get shot outside of politics, and saying that I have a disorder still makes me better than a peice of shit? Whatever.
I said what I said. I meant what I said. If you choose to read what I say then make up your own version of what I said then point accusingly at me you can fuck off.
You are massively egotistical as, without any knowledge of how to run a server and with zero experience of putting one together, you accuse me of not knowing what I am doing or doing shit for my own amusement.
Every server we have has been built to the best of my ability and that is an ability that outstrips anyone here by a 1000 yards. You don't investigate anything, you never suggest any alternatives and you have no opinion beside "HOWARD IS WRONG - I AM RIGHT". You do nothing but nitpick, moan and whine and are utterly non-constructive all the time. What your actions were on the last map is no longer relevant as you have utterly ruined your own reputation and tarnished any good name you may have ever had with a constant stream of simply terrible behaviour.
Stop thinking you are the wronged party here. You have and continue to act appallingly and you are utterly remorseless about it.

As for your conversation with GB3 - we will deal with the separately but I don't fancy your chances.
Pizzaman194 wrote:
Okay, so Towny was a must. Why couldn't it be set up like the old map? Turn on wilderness building, turn off wilderness regeneration, chunk-by-chunk protection would be okay if it couldnt be helped.
Because that is a retarded idea and I keep saying why. A strip mined, massively griefed map a) drives everyone away as there is no where good to build and no resources and b) looks a total fucking mess. Without any OPs on to police the place and without Logblock, a server run without wilderness protection would have collapsed instantly.
Moreover, wilderness protection is the whole fucking POINT of Towny and its main benefit. If you cannot see that then I don't know how to help you.
Forcing people to use the server's offered protection is the main point i have always been striving for. I am done - utterly done - with this shit of only some people using Residence and the rest just building what they want and then expecting OPs to roll everything back every time a single block is changed. Even if Residence were not dead, there is NO way on earth I would ever use it again as, like so many things, it was just wildly abused by everyone. You need to protect what you build or you lose it and Towny takes care of that.
Pizzaman194 wrote:
Quote:
I'll say it again - any and all suggestions welcome but people standing on their soap boxes, claiming involvement or giving patronising soliloquies about how they knew better will receive nothing by my anger and scorn.
Here's where you're still wrong. I am VERY much involved. This might sound too childish for you so bear with me, I did a LOT to keep the old map running. I've been the guy helping out almost everybody. I also banned the most people for xraying. I played every day for the longest time. So how could you say that I'm not involved out of the few people that are left.
No, you WERE involved. What you are now is a joke. The only complaints I get these days are about you, pizza. Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - is sick of your whining, moaning and backstabbing towards me.

Please, get you act together, pizza. We are no longer any of us working to fix this server, we are just locked in this idiotic competition of you baiting me and me resisting the urge to just do away with you as, when you choose to, you are one of the better OPs we had. This argument as to who was right is not going anywhere because, whether or not you like it, I am right. You are still not presenting anything even approaching viable solutions, you are just whining that things are not the way you want.
You were not happy with the last map, you were not happy with the temp map, you are not happy with this map - you are just not happy with anything that was not picked by you and guess what mate: YOU aint in charge and there is a very good reason for that.
Any changes that are applied in SMP have to be considered fully and you are not doing that, in fact I am pretty certain you are just arguing now to try and "get one up" on me; you no longer care about what are the right choices, you just want to stick you oar in.
For my part I am not arguing against you because its you, and this is not some personal vendetta, but you are refusing to see the impact your behaviour is having. If you had any real, workable suggestions for SMP I would be all over them but you don't and in the meantime you are just pushing your own ego disguised as an agenda. You need to learn that just criticising and tearing something down is not constructive and I will not tolerate it.

ro 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 20:48 
Has learned to write! (185)
Why change things? The server is by many means quite good.
Solution? I've thought about bringing the people to us, through YouTube. How? Very simple, a few tutorials on how towny works, a few tutorials on how to get some nice coin, a tutorial on how to start then a YouTube series. It does require work, we need people to commentate, somebody without a retarded accent, somebody that can make some nice jokes, somebody that can be entertaining. Be it by a wild display of sexuality such as EightThoughts shows us, be it by how Seananners started and slowly going towards what he is today.

The nice thing? We'd do it on a channel designed for spa members (and people that help), we don't the same person to keep making commentaries and such, like AchievementHunter or the new gaming channel Hardcoregamingtips whom gathered lots of attention throughout their time on YouTube due to their variety. People might like Howard because he's Howard, people might like me because I'm retarded, people might like ihasfire because he's got the talent. It does not need to be overly complicated and it will not only bring new members, but it will help out the spa community as well.

Let's imagine for a second how many people here wanted a YT career at least once in their lives? I one surely did. Thus we might get content for cs:go, tf2, get our community bigger.

Though as a warning, we must get big gradually else we will be unable to adapt to the income of people and simply crumble on ourselves. That's how many new channels get destroyed. We need a plan on how to do everything to not end like IcyToonie, who was a really nice tf2 commentator I believe.

So this being said, should we try this? We need to mobilize, all of us. Either now or be stuck forever in mediocrity. Ideas exist, resources exist and will exist for our later requirements. We don't need to go all on, we can have a small YouTube channel, even a dead one would grant us players. Ideas exist, they always did and are as minecraft is endless. We can talk about real life physics and show how they apply more or less in minecraft and for what reasons we believe it is so it would work.

I'm waiting for opinions.

ca 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 21:31 
Geek (776)
Hm, the video thing constantly comes out; but, to put out quality content takes alot of time and effort. It could be done, we'd just need people willing to do it, and properly. And that doesn't promise any degree of success.

Video tutorials on the other hand could greatly help the newer people get the hang of towny. We already have written tutorial's though which do the trick, so it isn't too needed. But there could be some clever ways to illustrate things more clearly through video.

at 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 21:35 
Geek (749)
I will be ordering parts for my gaming computer maybe somewhere in November since I just got BSOD (bluescreenofdeath) on my current laptop.

Well since I don't have a half decent working computer for the time being I'll have to wait until I can start making videos. I have tons of ideas on what to make videos about.

Like 2fat said, I can make tutorials on how to start up and get your town bigger and you know the basics of Towny etc.

In the mean time I'll keep looking for potiental plugins for our server.

us 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 22:19 
Geek (883)
It would be fun if we could do something like rooster-teeth (Achievement Hunter) Maybe on weekends we could make a lets play on towny or something based on SpA and put in on the SpA channel. I'm down to do this, I like this idea, we should try this!! :10

<Assassin3562> :P
*Assassin3562 thinks his life over

us 
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 09:27 
Likes to type... (229)
@stesser :5:

@2fat, the video idea is good and i'm sure it's been thought of many times before , but it's such a longshot.

Even if we made a kick-ass trailer for the server, who's going to see it if it's just on Youtube? Sure, we can provide links to the video on various server lists and such, but if it's just out there with the millions of other videos, the odds of getting more than 50 views is slim. We'd have to get endorsed by someone well known already, which is also not very likely. Not to mention bring a bad crowd to the server :/

Last edited by [SpA]Pizzaman194 on 31 Oct 2012, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

us 
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2012, 11:34 
Likes to type... (229)
@Howard

Don't twist what you just wrote just a few scrolls up on this page. I quote...
Another thing, my arguement is not "YOU'RE WRONG, I'M RIGHT", all i said was that this is not as good as the last map for these reasons. That was ALL I said. Again, it's written right there. There's nothing between the lines.

I never once doubted your ability as a server manager and I thought we came to that conclusion a while back, that I have no technical experience and lots of ingame experience, while you are vice versa. But instead of explaining the situation to me upfront, you decide to call me out immediately and bash me, and there was no reason for that.

I never said that this was neccesarily bad for the people that are already here. PERSONALLY, I AM FINE WITH THIS MAP AND THE LAST MAP. The only thing though is the wilderness regeneration still bothers me. The reason why I started this whole campaign is because of the issue of decreasing population, as there isn't much to be done about bored people who don't build big projects, there should be a consistent flow of new people. Even though I'd be fine now, later there wouldn't be anyone else.

All It took to pretty much end this thread is just say "There was nothing i could do about the issues. The lack of plugins prevented any other system besides this." but instead you, first off, bashed me for making this thread, and second, went too far and started a war with me...I hope you settle this the right way.

us 
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2012, 11:42 
Likes to type... (229)
Or you can just ignore me...

us 
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 00:30 
Has learned to write! (152)
Although i know this is a very bad idea and im extremely late im still going to throw my head into this. I'll start off by saying i fully support pizza on this, it's not a "howard is always wrong thing" its a "this just ain't working" thing...i mean when we switched to Towny i just quit for awhile, i came back because i missed the community but i noticed that hardly anyone ever got on or stayed on anymore. Since we went to this temp map I've seen a hell of a lot more people playing and ENJOYING themselves, it seems people would prefer no protection to "Towny protection"

I'll admit the old system was flawed, but it worked. Yeah people didn't sue the protection, but all it took was ONE bad incident for the person to learn their lesson. Once someone screwed with your house once you tended to ask how to res. But with this it just kinda screws you, i mean yeah your protected, but then again if you live in another town you probably wont get 2 plots side by side, so whatever u build will have to fit in 1 plot.

What we need is a simplified version of the old res, less flags and crap, just something that says "build, use, fire spread, PVP" rather than all the bs like "build, place, destroy, tnt, mobs, fire spread, water flow, lava flow, bucket, use,healing,etc" i mean that's what always confused people, just too many options for you to remember to set.

My only suggestion for how to fix this. Something similar to the old map. Yeah you CAN have a 2 map system like we had, you just gotta simplify it, make it so the guests have a very simplified res system, possibly 1 that only stops pvp and/or has only a small max block amount? Hell we don't even need the 2nd map, just limit guests to no res til they register.

Probably not the best idea but hey, i liked the server back then, it was fun even if it did have a few issues, it still didn't drive people away like Towny does. I mean sure we all butted heads with Howard at some point back then, but it was only natural that we disagree with him sometimes or that he has a bad day every once in awhile. I'm not saying we go back to the old ways, those had major issues, but i am suggesting we modify the old ways, improve upon it like WE voted in the polls to do.

us 
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2012, 03:35 
Has learned to write! (152)
To correct a few things, no i didn't realize the Christmas server was about the future, i thought it was more about the Christmas map, so i didn't read to far into it.

secondly i am not saying go back to residence, i already know that it is dead, i was more or less suggesting anything but the current Towny settings, yes there are issues but locking everyone into towns denying access to "the wilds" just doesn't work for all of us "adventurous" types. Yes you can buy land in a town, but rarely is it ever side by side, and making your own town is just kinda pointless to many of us.

I'm also not calling for Towny to do simple res'es (no clue where people got that idea but no i in no way implied that)