It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:16

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: The War Z
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 15:59 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
http://www.thewarz.com/index.html
Vid: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10 ... ore-126746

Yes yes, its a rip-off of DayZ, but its still interesting.

Same concept but done by a proven software house in a proven engine. DayZ minus Rocket, bohemia nd their busted-ass engine, basically.

Could be a good thing.

fi 
 Post subject: Re: The War Z
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 16:20 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Sounds very interesting indeed, but the price is a real turn-off. I just wish there was a wholly free good game similar to those two.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 17:46 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Samiak_ wrote:
Sounds very interesting indeed, but the price is a real turn-off. I just wish there was a wholly free good game similar to those two.
Well free games are always shit. Always.

More to the point though, what I want is DayZ as a non-persistent game but more like standard co-op game - something like Borderlands or dead Island in style, that you can play with your mates or on your own. DayZ, as I keep saying, was a fantastic idea but implemented by a childish moron. Between hackers, system abuse, campers and unbelievably bad code, it was just a farce. I want to be able to run a private server of such a game and have only people I know on there. Sure there will be PVP - that aint the issue - but at least it would be a game again.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2012, 19:32 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I think my favourite thing about DayZ was the setting and how bleak it feels, while this looks a bit more flamboint and contemporary (not a good thing). I feel I'll end up preferring DayZ's standalone over this, I personally don't think Rocket's doing a poor job, so I should enjoy it. I am a little turned off by WarZ nicking things from what is a free mod with 'lol we're ripping off dayz" as their title. Plus I don't understand why the game model is pretty much free to play without actually being free, they want money up front (because they probably know the game will be popular) but then want their players to put up with currency, gold and membership deals, fuck off.

Saying that though, I probably will end up buying it. A chance to play a DayZ that isn't wobbly, glitchy and arkward to play, and despite being a rip off it looks like it could be very much it's own game. I do think it will be a good game if it doesn't turn out to be pay to win.
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Well free games are always shit. Always.
Not always, if micro-transactions are handled properly there's nothing to say it can't enjoyable game which still makes money.

nl 
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2012, 16:23 
Has no REAL life! (1439)
Bit laggy, but more playable then fucking dayz.

Might pick this one up :)

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2012, 13:55 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
So who's getting this? Think I might go for it while it's still under 12 quid.

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2012, 12:59 
Has no REAL life! (1439)
Only if howard plays with me I'll pick it up :D

There is a pun in that sentence -.-

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2012, 14:18 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Probably going to wait for some propper gameplay videos of it aswell. I don't really trust these guys, saying the design for the game has been in place 2 years is bullshit, and something about it just feels a bit false like it will turn out to be a really lazy zombie mod of War Inc. We'll have to see.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2012, 14:40 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]CrackHead wrote:
Only if howard plays with me I'll pick it up :D

There is a pun in that sentence -.-
Hey, big boy :26

Seriously though - I really don't know about this game. I still like the idea and getting the FUCK away from Bohemia is obviously all good but its still...well its still pointless isn't it? What actually do you do? Run around in a massive map, gathering shit, waiting to be killed? I just...I just need more from it. If there were even a way to defend your shit while you are offline it would not be half so bad but... :?

Am I just missing the point? Should I just not play this? I dunno...

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2012, 15:23 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
For the price they're asking to play the beta I think it's worth a try. I do want to see how good this fortification stuff is suppose to be, if it was say 20+ pounds I probably wouldn't bother. I suppose the fun is in actually caring about not dying and being clever about how you move around and how you deal with other players, gathering and upgrading your equipment. I mean if there's no point in that then I suppose the same could be said for many games.

I'm going to give War Inc. a play, see if I like how it looks and feels. It's free to play interestingly enough, so WarZ is a mod for a free game that you need to pay for :lol:

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 14:09 
Has no REAL life! (1620)
Things to bear in mind..
Its alpha, you're paying for alpha access and its buggy as hell.
Spawns are a lot less common than DayZ
Thirst is far to fast but since the first update water and drinks are more common
Like DayZ lots of buildings are un-enterable
Unlike DayZ Zombies notice you quicker but you can run away
Also Unlike DayZ you can see at night and the day night cycle is accelerated
Ammo and Weapons are ultra scarce thankfully melee is viable
Invisible zombies and scenery are common and deadly, so is a five foot fall.

Player death restricts access to that character for 1 hour (realtime) My solution has been to have a few characters who harvest loot that I bank for when the main character can be resurrected.

A lot of features such as the community stuff trade, micro transactions aren't available yet
XP is off at the moment so that Beta and Alpha players have only equipment advantage
There are strongholds planned, allowing players to set up settlements, that don't allow bandits in.

XP should be to make you fitter, less thirsty and hungry and is not planned to allow people to become unstoppable war machines... I hope to hell they get that right.

Howard to address a point you had, Equipment can be protected offline. You have a "global inventory" that can store items from and for all 5 character profiles you have access too. Once play with friends and settlements are available protecting gear in game world would be as easy too. However what ever equipment you have in-game when you die is lost, so if you find a great gun, log out bank it wait till you get a second and some ammo before carrying it around. You also can't buy guns from the marketplace, so buying a winning set up is impossible. Though buying a spiked bat at the moment helps

The engine is better, consistent frame rates but its still performing badly

Currently only 30% of the map is open.

I should have a couple of 48 hour access keys but at the moment they haven't shown up when they do I'll offer them about.

PS yes more hospital, explains absence, fine at the moment though. Got home this weekend.

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 19:20 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Nice info, been watching the game but I have to wait until 31st to play the beta. Confident they'll sort out the flashlight attacks with the instant back of the head kills.

Be glad to take one of those keys off your hands :D

Last edited by [SpA]JuncoPartner on 18 Oct 2012, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2012, 19:31 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Yeah, been reading around with this and looking at the forums a lot and I think I have come to conclusion that I would rather boil my head than play it. It has all the issues that DayZ has but an even worse community and a total piece of crap engine.

Guess I'll just hold out for a private server hack for the standalone DayZ when it launches and I pirate it :lol: :4

gb 
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2012, 00:15 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Gave War Inc. a go, felt like a bit like a cheap arcade game but I was satified with the guns (sounds were a bit shit) and but the animations didn't make me feel seasick. Community does look shit, it's like a quickfix of DayZ with some features that make it appeal to people wanting something a little more casual like the global invent and safe towns. Should be fun and nice to play a zombie game that isn't quite as wobbly until DayZ stadalone is out.

fi 
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 01:42 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
http://kotaku.com/5969784/the-war-z-mes ... now-so-far

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2012, 01:59 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
mmm heard about most of this, good to have to have it in a single article though. Don't think they mentioned that they've made the revive timer 4 hours long, but then let you pay to revive characters instantly, so if you kill off all 5 characters in 4 hours (very pheasible, it's stupid hard to avoid pvp) you can't play. Really shitty they charged people for the game especially while it's in alpha and then add this pay to revive feature aswell, glad I'm not playing it atm.

EDIT: :mrgreen: