Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:10

All times are UTC+01:00

nl 
 Post subject: Windows 10 notification
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2015, 14:57 
Community slut (13473)
For the people (like me) who couldn't get rid of the new Windows 10 notification (in my case in window 7), here is how to remove it;

https://superuser.com/questions/922068/ ... -area-tray

gb 
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2015, 15:08 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I was actually hoping to see it :( seems like I have an OEM copy of windows.

nl 
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2015, 15:58 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
It comes with a windows update so make sure your system is up2date.

Alternatively; http://windows.microsoft.com/nl-nl/windows-10/about

us 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2015, 13:15 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
I'm up to date on both of my PCs and they're both OEM copies, the notification is on one but not the other it seems, but I use one more than the other so I'm not sure.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2015, 14:06 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
It comes with a windows update so make sure your system is up2date.

Alternatively; http://windows.microsoft.com/nl-nl/windows-10/about
Yeah tried this, will have to try and contact them or something, because I only bought a legit copy of windows 7 to get 10.
[SpA]AwesomeFriends wrote:
I'm up to date on both of my PCs and they're both OEM copies, the notification is on one but not the other it seems, but I use one more than the other so I'm not sure.
That's odd. If you look at your serial numbers they should both have OEM in them.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 12:02 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Now it's appearing. Windows 10 is going to be the boooomb :94

nl 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2015, 21:38 
SpA Fookah (4459)
If you like the tablet way of working, phone os...
I freaking hate where it's going. I'm a super user, I'd rather go back to commands then go forward towards having to fill in a flash based questionnaire after having swiped 16 mood smileys to set my background color to black

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 02:13 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
If you like the tablet way of working, phone os...
I freaking hate where it's going. I'm a super user, I'd rather go back to commands then go forward towards having to fill in a flash based questionnaire after having swiped 16 mood smileys to set my background color to black
Sounds like you're describing Windows 8 which had some horrible touchscreen elements, but as a system it was very fast and very slick. Windows 10 is restoring stuff like the start menu, but it will have all the speed of 8 and hopfully more. So at this point in time I can see no reason why someone would not use it. Unless they enjoy waiting longer for their system to boot. Plus anything before windows 8 is pretty ugly man, especially with the basic theme.

Last year I remember seeing a preview that allowed you to have multiple desktops and taskbars, which looked fucking sick. They better follow up on it. They're also working on decent web browser this time, one that isn't dogshit. They better add some GIF support and mutiple tabs for the file explorer. Waaayy overdue now.

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2015, 20:48 
Pretty useless (83)
Every time I try to install the optional update to get the Windows 10 icon in the system tray I get the same message when rebooting; Failure to configure updates, reverting back bla bla bla bla,"

A bit annoying. I don't have a legit copy of Windows so I am guessing that could be why but, having Googled the issue, it seems that it is a common problem. Besides, I am sure I read somewhere they were allowing pirated copies of Windows to receive the option to upgrade.

As mentioned in above posts, I want the speed of Windows 10. It may be different but it does have DX12. :4

us 
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 21:51 
I think the exact quote on their stance about upgrading from pirated copies is "Users on unlicensed copies will be able to upgrade, but their copy will still be unlicensed and will not come with the security benefits of having a licensed copy."

Update on my other laptop that I've updated about a million times and still haven't gotten the button: It still hasn't gotten to the latest version... I've gone through update after update and every time I restart I have even more updates. This laptop has Linux Mint 17.1 (MATE) on it, would upgrading to Windows 10 change the boot loader and cause me to not be able to use the dual boot? That's my only real concern.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 18:27 
Pretty useless (83)
Given that Windows 10 is going to be a free product anyway, surely there's no point in even having a pirated copy with less security? Correct me if I am wrong with the whole Windows 10 being completely free.

fi 
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 18:42 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Free upgrade for a year for those with an existing W7/W8* licence, legit or not. Pirated licence remains pirated.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

us 
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 06:01 
Quantum Grape wrote:
Given that Windows 10 is going to be a free product anyway, surely there's no point in even having a pirated copy with less security? Correct me if I am wrong with the whole Windows 10 being completely free.
It will only be free as an upgrade to those who sign up within the given time they're offering the free upgrade, it will then cost money to upgrade after that. Anyone looking for a new copy will have to pay full price from day 1. They're mostly doing this since Apple has been offering their new OS X upgrades all for free and their adoption rate has went up to somewhere around 80% compared to Window's 12% or something.

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 19:34 
Pretty useless (83)
Then it looks like I will have to buy it. I can't download the update to give me the Windows 10 notification, I keep getting "Windows cannot configure updates, reverting . . ." etc. Annoying, but hey ho.

fi 
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 19:39 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Quantum Grape wrote:
Then it looks like I will have to buy it. I can't download the update to give me the Windows 10 notification, I keep getting "Windows cannot configure updates, reverting . . ." etc. Annoying, but hey ho.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 99a883265b

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 21:08 
Pretty useless (83)
I've read that before and, seeing that I am not running a genuine copy of Windows I cannot get the icon, according to that.
Surely that contradicts the pirated copy situation on upgrading?

nl 
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 21:11 
Community slut (13473)
Quantum Grape wrote:
I've read that before and, seeing that I am not running a genuine copy of Windows I cannot get the icon, according to that.
Surely that contradicts the pirated copy situation on upgrading?
Afaik the pirate copy upgrades are only aimed on China.

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2015, 23:20 
Pretty useless (83)
Bastards! :lol:

us 
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2015, 22:50 
Pretty useless (66)
For those that care Windows 10 will be released July 29th. I don't know about you but I am extremely excited.

us 
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2015, 03:59 
Awesomeassassin wrote:
For those that care Windows 10 will be released July 29th. I don't know about you but I am extremely excited.
I was not aware, thanks for sharing!

I'm also kinda excited for Windows 10. I won't be installing it on my own system though, that will be for my brother's laptop. I'm leaving my laptop on Windows 8 since it can barely run that correctly and on top of that I have it on a dual boot and I've already had to manually re-partition the drive because of it. Thankfully I have a Windows recovery drive in my posession now so that won't be a problem anymore.

dk 
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 09:57 
Geek (883)
YOHO AND A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME!

"What you believe to be true is false
What you thought right, wrong"
-Dimmu Borgir