Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:00

All times are UTC+01:00

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 12:21 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
http://teamfortress.tv/thread/24792/val ... titive-tf2

There had been talk of this before but I honestly thought it had died. Kinda sceptical about it being any better than the existing TF2 lobby/TF2centre scene which are basically just DMfests with mics, and what this means in terms of established maps/rules/unlocks etc. That some of the top guys in the community have given it the thumbs up makes me suspect that it'll more or less stick to convention, but given how Valve's track record of disdain for comp I hope they resist the temptation to turn it into 'their thing' (12v12, no unlock rules, 2fort :22). That and I'm not keen on the idea of the egotistic shit that happens in soloq CS:GO and League making its way into TF2. And I *really* hope that there's a way to queue up for team vs. team rather than it being one bunch of dudes in mumble rolling some randoms.

That and it could do the same thing as quickplay, i.e. decrease the traffic to community servers even more. But! On the whole it's good news for the longevity of the game and a great thing for the competitive scene. VALVE GIVES A FUCK! :mrgreen:

More details to come on a podcast on Friday (see thread). Excited to see where this goes :4

edit: ExTV video now up. Good point about it being a source of feedback for weapons so that they can be rebalanced; kinda worrying that they're not necesarilly going down the highlander route or even making much distinction between modes at all.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 13:33 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Exciting stuff :4 glad that it's going somewhere now.

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 13:43 
Community slut (13473)
This.... This is actually quite interesting!

us 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 15:06 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
Not sure how I feel about all of this with TF2 being free to play, I imagine that it will be flooded with kids who know nothing about competitive gameplay for a week or two if and when it comes out. I may be wrong and this be the best thing ever right after launch. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 15:14 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
[SpA]AwesomeFriends wrote:
Not sure how I feel about all of this with TF2 being free to play, I imagine that it will be flooded with kids who know nothing about competitive gameplay for a week or two if and when it comes out. I may be wrong and this be the best thing ever right after launch. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
It will, but it will no doubt function like cs:go with a ranking system. So after some stomping and bad teams, everyone will hopfully be matched to their correct skill groups.

Also looking forward to the spectator improvements aswell, like the player outlines. They hinted at something that will please video editors as well. Maybe something similiar to cs:go's replay system? Because that would be sweet as fuck.

us 
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015, 16:22 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Also looking forward to the spectator improvements aswell, like the player outlines. They hinted at something that will please video editors as well. Maybe something similiar to cs:go's replay system? Because that would be sweet as fuck.
I would imagine more tools for SFM are coming soon. I wouldn't mind having outlines as well, they are useful while spectating.

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 03:13 
Has no REAL life! (3493)

^ Sigafoo hitting all of the nails the nail on their heads. We (you too probably - basically, everyone who's ever watched a frag video, played a Highlander match or cared about comp TF2 in any way) have have this nerdy little thing going on for years. The community has been holding the sign outside of Keira Knightley's door for a long, long time and we'd just accepted that it was never going to happen. And, well, now it's beginning to happen. It's incredible tbh. I was kinda cautious in the original post for this thread, and we'll see how many of those concerns are still valid (90% sure this is gonna be bad news for community servers that are already struggling: yes it's good for the growth of and sustainibility of TF2 as a whole and community servers will always have a place, but I think this will divert the time and attention lot of the 'hardcore' TF2 types that have been keeping those places afloat.) But for those who care about comp TF2 today is a good day :26

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 00:27 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tfcompetitive

Official steam group for the beta, looks like invites etc will be distributed through here. Join this if you want in the beta! :5: :4

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 13:00 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Nice one :5: