Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:29

All times are UTC+02:00

ro 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 21:18 
The Necromancer (4970)
listmaps in the console and you have it. ^^

P.S. Do I see some people DOWN-voting certain maps on purpose? I mean - cp_science hasn't been played since the last time and it has suddenly gotten 8 negative ratings instead of the former 3... Highly suspicious...

fi 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 22:49 
Doesn't get out much (389)
Sounds like I'm missing some epic voice-chat whining :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 01:33 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
He is fairly protective of the user created maps.

ro 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 01:35 
The Necromancer (4970)
I'm pretty protective of the time I put into organizing this event and have an ALLERGY against people who dismiss the work by behaving like 12-year old kids and saying stuff like "this map is shit because it's shit" like 1 minute after they entered the server.

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 02:04 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
I'm pretty protective of the time I put into organizing this event and have an ALLERGY against people who dismiss the work by behaving like 12-year old kids and saying stuff like "this map is shit because it's shit" like 1 minute after they entered the server.
Ah come on, I wasn't saying anything like that. I appreciate what you've done here, it keeps things interesting. And I liked a couple of those maps. I even gave them 5 thumbs up.

The fact is some of them aren't that brilliant, but at least now we know this thanks to you Lim.

ro 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 02:25 
The Necromancer (4970)
I know pretty well that some of them aren't brilliant but I'm not one to judge things like that after 1 minute. The whole weekend's purpose is to filter out the maps that "aren't so brilliant". The "fun", "freshness" and "coolness" factors are only secondary attributes of the whole endeavor. ^^

The point here is that bitching about a map on the server is completely unproductive and only annoys me. Nobody will be analyzing the chat logs on the server to look how many times somebody said "this map is crappy" or "this map is cool"... What we WILL be looking into, however, are the ratings the maps received and any constructive arguments why a map is good or bad posted on the forums...

E.g. cp_egypt_v2 sadly won't be making it onto any server anywhere in any foreseeable future even though it got decent ratings because of technical issues - it has been badly designed from a technical viewpoint which causes huge FPS drops even on the mightiest machines... Close, but no cigar...

Overall remarks: It's funny that several standard maps have been rated while the map rating plugin was already running but the map cycle hadn't been changed yet and some of the custom maps have overtaken them when it comes to their ratings... I also observed a tendency to rate known maps and simpler ones higher than even objectively speaking well designed maps (even though you might still dislike them for other reasons) which are a bit more complex. E.g. ctf_mach4 received astonishingly high ratings due to, I presume, me buying some gameplay on it on other servers long before the weekend. =)

Not to mention several other factors - e.g. at times when teams were heavily unbalanced people automatically rated a given map lower. Let's take cp_science where most of the "bitchers" were playing on the losing team - it received a not-so-good rating (mostly) because with such unbalanced teams it didn't get to show its true colors even though the layout is completely symmetrical...

Why am I making such assumptions? Well - ccp_circlejerk_rc1 was met with a very positive response even though it's one of the most confusing maps EVER (I still like it very much but that's not the point) - I mean - you're capturing points IN A CIRCLE and the points are marked with stuff like a cactus, a pagoda and whatnot... The directions aren't as awesome as on cp_science as well... However, the round we played on the map was very balanced - I think my team won 3 to 2 or something like that - and everybody was using a lot of voice communication etc.

cp_redstone_b2? It's only a matter of time before Valve releases this map in a class pack since they have a history of working with the map's creator (he designed dod_northbound which Valve BOUGHT from him), cp_fastlane and he lists some comments from Valve developers about redstone as well... It's also a quite well known custom map... It received positive ratings BUT is still no less confusing than a majority of maps we're testing right now with all the nooks and crannies and trick-jumps you can execute AND has a very, very badly designed section between the second cp and the central cp which covers like a quarter of the map but is COMPLETELY obsolete gameplay-wise... You're not capping any points there, you are not setting up any defenses there, you basically just bump into people from the other team on their long, long way to the second cp (or the other way round)... Have I mentioned that the map is HUGE? We were playing with 26 people - more than the usual TF2 player limit! It's only a beta version (beta 2 to be precise) and might be corrected in the future but the map is still mildly overrated. I blame this phenomenon on it being played in the evening hours when some organized clans joined the servers which, again, allowed for a balanced and exciting gameplay experience, no thanks to the map, however...

Many maps have very solid reviews e.g. on FPSbanana where they have been tested far more extensively than they would ever be on our servers... Many cool-looking maps have game-breaking bugs, errors or design-decisions built into them which come out only after hours of gameplay when you start discovering potential exploits etc. - things like this have to be taken into consideration as well (have I mentioned that cp_aqua is one of the highest rated maps on FPSBanana, yet received pretty poor ratings because it might seem a bit confusing initially despite being very linear at its heart?)...

Testing maps really isn't an easy task neither is evaluating the results correctly... There are many things to consider - I doubt that we will be able to extract more than some vague guidelines for potentially organizing a similar event (a Custom Map Week, perhaps? :-D) in the future out of this Custom Map Weekend...

de 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 14:06 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
listmaps in the console and you have it. ^^
Thanks for the hint, Lim-Dul, Master of the Console, Bringer of the Custom Maps, Basher of the Whiners, Knight in Shining Armour, Rescuer of the Virgins! :4

ro 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2008, 17:18 
The Necromancer (4970)
Silence! I kill you!

nl 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2008, 06:42 
Has no REAL life! (1242)
*Wall of text crits you for 469 damage* *[SpA]Lim-Dul kills Mint*

great work mate,

I agree with on that most people don't think about or appreciate how much work people go through to present something like this, so thumbs up, but casual gamers (like myself) will always whine and complain about things that are unknown to them <3 <3

I basically enjoy most of the maps, besides the (yea I forgot the name of it) quarry one with minecarts driving around in it, the main reason for that is because there's too few medpacks, metal/ammo boxes around, it's a serious crap map for engineers and for everyone else who was unlucky enough to meet a pyro... I think it could be easily edited to be a major good map

[SpA]Mint "IN.... MY....PANTS"

[SpA]Minimoose "Revenge is going to jump out of your pants?"

ro 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2008, 16:52 
The Necromancer (4970)
Quote:
besides the (yea I forgot the name of it) quarry one with minecarts driving around in it, the main reason for that is because there's too few medpacks, metal/ammo boxes around, it's a serious crap map for engineers and for everyone else who was unlucky enough to meet a pyro... I think it could be easily edited to be a major good map
Ah - very keen observation. The map is very nice looking and the basic layout seems to be OK but this is indeed a point that should be looked into. I could contact the map designer. ^^