Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:51

All times are UTC+02:00

de 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 08:30 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2096
Quote:
We've been pretty quiet lately, but thankfully, that's about to end. In the next few days we'll have an update out that has a couple of new features for the Engineer and Spy, and a variety of other smaller fixes.

* Teleporters will be upgradeable to level 3. As the teleporter is upgraded, the cooldown will decrease.
* Dispensers will be upgradeable to level 3. They will heal faster and generate metal faster as they are upgraded.
* Spies will be able to recharge their cloaking ability by picking up ammo off of the ground.
* We've made a bunch of minor changes by adding particle systems and upgrading the HUD to show things like deaths by critical hits, players that are overhealed, and giving more information to medics when people are calling for them.

These are just to work on some class balance and depth issues that we've seen in the wild with these two classes, but aren't meant to replace their entire class packs. They will be getting more attention further down the road.

While that's in testing, we're off working on several things that folks have been emailing us about, so we thought it'd be good to provide some detail:

* The next class pack will be the Scout. One of the main goals we're focusing on for him has been to provide tools that make him useful in maps like Dustbowl & Goldrush. If you have any ideas for what you think would work well, post them over on the Team Fortress 2 Forum and we'll take a look.
* We are actively working on a massive XBox 360 update, which will include pretty much everything we've shipped on the PC in the last year. We'll provide you with a rough date when we have one.
* We're also working on bringing over a variety of engine improvements from Left 4 Dead into the TF2 engine, but it won't be a wholesale replacement of the engine. This means we'll get some of L4D's performance improvements, like the better multicore support, but not all of them. For example, we can't bring over some improvements without dropping support for DX8, which we're not prepared to do.
Haha... it's 2 days old... just didn't check due to lack of time... and everybody else seems to play only L4D. :P

Edit: Marked a part in a funky color for Lim! :D

pl 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 08:44 
Doesn't get out much (314)
ffs, why they are updating classes which i don't like ;p . i hope, next update after scout one, won't be spy update ;x

nl 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 11:22 
Has no REAL life! (2546)
the scout update sounds really interesting, I still suck as a scout.. but I wonder what it will do for matches o:

and yay for multicore support.. they sure took their time didn't they..? :/

ro 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 11:26 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
Scout is just awesome fun! I can't wait for the goodies.

nl 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 12:00 
Has no REAL life! (2359)
Yay finally, they took my advice and allowed the spy to recharge his stealth faster. I hope dispensers will also recharge the stealthbar... but from the looks of it only ammo packs :(

ro 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 14:26 
The Necromancer (4970)
Itsa najs. Thanks for highlighting the multicore support. :-D
I guess they will yet again move some functions to the second core - I'm just wondering if this will make mat_queue_mode, which means FULL dual-core support, more stable.

The Scout pack doesn't really surprise me since Valve has been busy with L4D lately and if they were to make a Spy or Sniper pack they would have to combine them, which they stated in several interviews. Perhaps this would have meant to much work at this time.

no 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 14:46 
Has no REAL life! (1242)
Marmot wrote:
ffs, why they are updating classes which i don't like ;p . i hope, next update after scout one, won't be spy update ;x
please let it be spy.... please let it be spy... *crosses my fingers*

[SpA]Mint "IN.... MY....PANTS"

[SpA]Minimoose "Revenge is going to jump out of your pants?"

se 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 15:19 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
Running from ammo crate to ammo crate messing with the engineers is awful fun.
[SpA]Crovax20 wrote:
Yay finally, they took my advice and allowed the spy to recharge his stealth faster. I hope dispensers will also recharge the stealthbar... but from the looks of it only ammo packs :(
I'm pretty sure they do, you just have to decloak first.

se 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 15:20 
Has no REAL life! (1168)
i tested the engi update and it is a little bit weird to upgrade tele and disp. and when you upgraded your things ready(tele and disp you wont have time to build a sentry :cry: ) So it is really many decision the egi wil have to make.

but i like this update very much nad the engi if my favourite class with 125 hours :4

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 18:11 
Geek (778)
It's a good idea to let you upgrade the tele / Dispenser.

I can't say i've ever thought to myself "i wish this dispenser generated health faster" or "this tele recharges too quickly"

Giving em upto level 3, so i'm guessing 2 upgrades? That's alot of wasted metal in most circumstances.

I do think though that dispenser dispensing metal faster is never a bad thing, that really is slow.

de 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 18:27 
Has no REAL life! (3230)
But this level 3 teleporter is freaking fast. 2 seconds or something. :shock:

ro 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 18:35 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
So any ideeas on how they could make the scout useful in crammed up maps?
I've no ideea what they could add since the scout's major problems on those maps are sentries (apart from having no room to maneuver).

We're obviously talking about largely populated maps, not 6vs6.

I was playing BLUE on goldrush (on some random newbie server) and I managed to get three snipers and two engies before the turrets were set up on point two which was pretty damn sweet for my team. But as soon as the sentries were up there I was absolutely useless.

Hope they'll do something like that charging bat that was on those fake update notes. It would be sooo awesome against slow classes.

pl 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2008, 18:56 
Has no REAL life! (1715)
If you approach dispenser while cloaked it will allow you to stay cloaked forever - it stops cloak bar from falling down ( but it doesnt recharge either ). The engineer I guess will be the case of teleporter lvl1 -> dispenser -> sentry lvl1 -> dispenser lvl2 -> sentry level 3 -> dispenser lvl3 -> teleporter exit lvl3 ( of course all that under some circumstances ;).

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 09:51 
Geek (778)
Bartg wrote:
If you approach dispenser while cloaked it will allow you to stay cloaked forever - it stops cloak bar from falling down ( but it doesnt recharge either ). The engineer I guess will be the case of teleporter lvl1 -> dispenser -> sentry lvl1 -> dispenser lvl2 -> sentry level 3 -> dispenser lvl3 -> teleporter exit lvl3 ( of course all that under some circumstances ;).
I didn't realise how fast the recharge was gonna be, it's like 2 seconds.

You upgrade the entrance not the exit, can you upgrade the exit instead? hmm.

Only problem now is, spies that sap your entrance, gonna get annoying! Doesn't take long to get an entrance up to level 3 outside spawn though :)

se 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 10:13 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
MikeDH wrote:
I didn't realise how fast the recharge was gonna be, it's like 2 seconds.

You upgrade the entrance not the exit, can you upgrade the exit instead? hmm.

Only problem now is, spies that sap your entrance, gonna get annoying! Doesn't take long to get an entrance up to level 3 outside spawn though :)
You have posted in the other thread, yet you apparently didn't even read it. Recharge is 3 seconds, both entrance and exit are upgradeable.

nl 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 12:17 
Has no REAL life! (1359)
SCOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAPTAIN AWESOME WILL BECOME CAPTAIN MORE AWESOME!!! <3

de 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 12:25 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Captain Awesome will jizz in his pants!

lu 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 12:33 
Has no REAL life! (1548)
[SpA]UndeadDruid wrote:

Omg, I think I'm doomed now! :cry:

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 12:41 
Geek (993)
Not a big fan of the scout. :cry: Hope this update isn't coming in the next 12 days, I'm already getting a huge spike in FPS from the recent update. :?

nl 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 14:05 
Has no REAL life! (1359)
Migu wrote:
[SpA]UndeadDruid wrote:

Omg, I think I'm doomed now! :cry:
you already were :P <3

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 14:08 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
I've had a quick browse of the steam forums, which is full of ideas for the scout changes. I think this one, so far, is the best I've read -

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=767213

basically, it's a sprint - you run faster for a few seconds, but can't use a weapon in that time and for a few seconds after the sprint is finished, you have an attack and movement debuff, as well as stopping you from capping points or pushing carts. it also can't be used while carrying intel. it's not a weapon, but a passive ability that works (and recharges in a similair way) to the spy's cloak.

I really like this idea. it would be fun to see how it plays out against natascha, the race to the middle point, scout vs scout, survivability, getting past sentries etc.

nl 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 16:47 
Has no REAL life! (2359)
:/ tbh that idea sucks. At least the spy is invisible while being invisible (lol). Scout will still just be free killpoint on dustbowl and any map. Scout just needs to have a smoker update. If you kill the scout the area will get filled with smoke that obscures vision. Also the scout can now pull targets towards him with a lasso tongue

ro 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 17:03 
The Necromancer (4970)
[SpA]Crovax wrote:
:/ tbh that idea sucks. At least the spy is invisible while being invisible (lol).
I just had to do it:

:-D

fi 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 19:06 
Doesn't get out much (389)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Damn it Lim-Dul, get out of my head!

Oh well, I can't let this opportunity go:

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2008, 22:30 
Has no REAL life! (1620)
Quote:
* We're also working on bringing over a variety of engine improvements from Left 4 Dead into the TF2 engine
I know it says engine, but for the briefest of moments I was hoping that the update would bring Zombies to TF2.

Ah well.

fi 
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2008, 18:51 
*skeet* *skeet* *skeet* :mrgreen: