[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 19: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 20: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 19: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 20: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
Computerrrr - SpecialAttack.net
Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:47

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: Computerrrr
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 14:19 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
So I'm selling my laptop and getting a desktop again, I have decided that I like playing games too much to have a crappy laptop :P Plus I want to try my hand at video editing again since I have so much time during the summer.

I used to have a i5-750 so the obvious thing to get now would be the 2500k since the i5-750 doesn't seem to have gone down in price at all. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about motherboards to do with it? Would any ~£100 motherboards be good enough?

I assume the best option would be the new z68 chipset.

The computer I'm thinking of at the moment is:

Case: NZXT H2 Black Mid Tower Case
SSD: OCZ 60GB Vertex 2
Memory: Not sure, I guess any 1600mhz cl9 8gb pack (Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory seems ok for £70, eventhough it looks stupid, or some G-Skill stuff)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 PRO3
Graphics card: XFX HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
Monitor: Acer GD245HQ (Already bought)

Then I won't ever buy a computer again. If there is anywhere you think I can save money that'd be good.

gb 
 Post subject: Re: Computerrrr
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 14:41 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
The SSD you are looking at is the slowest one on the market by 50%. You'd be better stumping the extra cash and getting the one above it.

As to MOBOs: Well its ladies choice really. You have to measure how much gadgetry you want on there. Will you need 4+ SATA3 ports, do you need dual LAN, do you need quad SLi support? That kind of thing. The less you pay, the less you get and if you go too low, you start to get bad south-bridge chips and they are just nasty. For gaming on a socket 1155, you want to be spending about £140 minimum to ensure you get a board that will survive (gaming rigs draw so much more power, you will find that cheaper boards will crap out on you way quicker than they aught).
Beyond that its about manufacturer. ASRock are, ignoring the odd exception, the equivalent of pluging your precious hardware into a dead dog. Avoid. ASUS and gigabyte are much better choices here ASUS currently having a slightly more even cost scaling on their boards too) so personally I would look to them.

Another thing: if you are buying a gaming machine, why go through all the self harm of buying ATI? Their offerings are just total toss these days. Far better to stick with Nvidia. The 560Ti's are the rough equivalent of the 6870's and the prices are in the same kind ball park.

Final thing - do you have a real PSU? I mean not some crap that came with a case? If not, get one - you'll thank me later.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 15:05 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
I was thinking of just getting a ~500W Antec one, they've been good in the past. I'll have a look at some asus boards.

us 
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 16:42 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
ASUS P8P67 Intel P67 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
8GB Corsair Memory XMS3 DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 Dual Channel
Coolermaster CM 690 II Lite Dominator Chassis
EVGA GeForce GTX 560Ti "FPB" 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
650W Corsair TX650 V2 ATX2.3 SLI/Crossfire Compliant Power Supply
OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD

£770

:lol: so much money, I can afford it but I dunno...

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011, 19:34 
Likes to type... (250)
Hi
I will 100% agree with SpA Howard,
I had a £30 PSU and it lasted 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I learned my lesson as got an Corsair 750W modular PSU. It was more than I wanted to pay, but in the long run it makes sense.

:4 Scouse :4