Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:13

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 18:35 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I just thought this was pretty interesting, wonder how far it will go.

http://www.wimp.com/gamesrealistic/

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 18:53 
The one and only (619)
WOW

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 19:21 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
That's pretty cool

Though the guys voice can get a tad annoying

be 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 19:42 
Doesn't get out much (335)
/goes and buys a pc @ NASA

jakezasnake1 wrote:
i got angry so i made a penis

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 21:42 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Ah yeah, I watched that earlier today, my only comment was...HOT!

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2011, 08:36 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Snake oil. Already been decried by the game designing community as the horse shit it is.

Euclidean have been peddling this crap for years now, desperate for an investor, and they will never get anywhere. Voxel engines, and that is absolutely all this is, have MASSIVE drawbacks to compensate for their seeming benefits. This kind of engine has been around for decades and polygonal based renders will continue to provide the solutions that voxel based ones never can.

nl 
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2011, 08:39 
Community slut (13473)
I was looking at this last night, somehow, I wasn't impressed.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2011, 13:49 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Aren't voxels like not actually 3D? I don't know if it was really as good as they said, you'd think it would have been snapped up by now. That island, with the dirt grains and what have you, that's gonna look good when they add shadows to it, sure they could find a use for that level of detail. Someone showed me a game on steam that was literally you as an old woman wondering arond a graveyard, sitting down, and being all old, I'd like to walk around a level without a polygon evident in sight.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2011, 14:09 
Geek (993)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Aren't voxels like not actually 3D? I don't know if it was really as good as they said, you'd think it would have been snapped up by now. That island, with the dirt grains and what have you, that's gonna look good when they add shadows to it, sure they could find a use for that level of detail. Someone showed me a game on steam that was literally you as an old woman wondering arond a graveyard, sitting down, and being all old, I'd like to walk around a level without a polygon evident in sight.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/27020/

I know this game as someone spammed me with it using the gift option. Thankfully ignore gift works now rather than seeing it everytime I opened steam. :lol:

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2011, 14:14 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
This is the thing. The island, even a small one like the one shown, cannot be rendered in this engine on anything less than a Cray. The shear volume of ram/disk space it would take to store it is untenable. Mroeover, voxel based engines like this one cannot do shadows or animation without even MORE processing power being demanded.

Look at this article on RPS. They quote Notch and carmakc on this (take Carmack's word as being way over Notch, obv)
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08 ... ed-detail/

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2011, 17:54 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
So is this techonology going be useful at all? Even when we've got the juice to do something with it?

Still, can't believe they did all that with voxels though, when I think voxels I think Minecraft, Ace of spades, C&C Tiberian sun. Least I think C&C used voxels.