Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:36

All times are UTC+02:00

pt 
 Post subject: net connection problems
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2011, 06:48 
Geek (697)
I'm going to post this here in hopes that our "techies" may have some solution to my problem (it's ok if you have no clues).

Basically, ever since I started to use Win7 (ultimate, 64bit version) it started to have conflicts with my net connection, in short, it either starts losing connection or just randomly complety drops it (it still detects the router but says "no internet connection").

I'm using D-link equipment, DIR-615 router and DWA-140 wireless adaptor.

I've done every solution I've found, from updating the drivers or trying different version (including using the original drivers from the chipset manufacturers), to reseting/cleaning/renewing TCP/IP, going into safe mode and see if it works without the anti virus, disabling services and see 1 by 1 if any of them is the culprit, etc..

I'll give you amy info you want/I can give. The only clue I is that it's something related to the TCP/IP stack itself, so far it doesn't happen all the time, last time it happened was around half an year ago, but after uninstalling AOL (http://daol.aol.com/software) it started to happen again; used it has a IP changer to play Vindictus NA with some friends, after we were done with it I had no use for the program and uninstalled and hell if that program likes to leave traces of itself everywhere: http://www.websiteperson.com/advocate/u ... laol90.htm

From what I've read on a different article, AOL messes up with the TCP/IP and it's sugested to completly restore it, which I've already tried.

Any ideas/questions?
(I'm not a savvy in this area but I'll try whichever solutions any of you might have)

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2011, 11:45 
Community slut (13473)
Try putting in a static IP address instead of automatic(dhcp)

pt 
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2011, 22:03 
Geek (697)
Do I need to do that on my PC or the one that's directly connected to the router?*

Also, is this a viable way to do it: http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm

*I ask that because my brother never had issues with his net and he started to use Win7 a bit before I did (on a side note, from what I've searched, Win7 "doesn't like" way too many wireless adaptors..).

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 12:00 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
What exactly is happening? Is the signal to your PC just fading out and dropping? Or is it the router itself that is losing connection?
Assuming its the connection from router to PC, then: Is this a new router?

pt 
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2011, 21:20 
Geek (697)
The problem is between either the PC and the Router or win7 being incompatible with the adaptor. Both the adaptor and the router came in the same box, which I've had for over 2y now. The problem only started after switching to win7.

It's a bit odd, like I mentioned above it just happens randomly. For example, the day I made the 1st post was the last day it happened, without trying to do anything to fix it the connection problem stoped, like a few times before..I'll never know for how long it will stay like this until the problems randomly start again.

Also, as I've mentioned above, "it either starts losing connection or just randomly complety drops it (it still detects the router but says "no internet connection")."

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 01:07 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Right, if the router's connection is solid and your Windows wasn't installed by a blind syphilitic chimp then its the wireless signal. What you need to do is change the channel on which the router is broadcasting. Router have 10-12 channels they can use (frequency ranges) and regrettably the most common one shares the same range as old cordless phones, TV remotes and fluorescent lights.

Get into your router's setup and find the channel change. If you can't do it then call your ISP and get them to sort it out

pt 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 03:55 
Geek (697)
Ok thanks Howard, I'll see if it still happens after I do that.