Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:05

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: Connection Issues
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 19:43 
Likes to type... (229)
Well I'll just dive right in then:

Basically - When I try to use any internet based feature on tf2 (server browsing ect) My laptop usually disconnects from my router (until I manually reconnect it) - and on the odd occasion it doesn't and i get into a game it regularly loses connection (but regains it after 5-10 seconds, so before I disconnect from the game)

It doesn't do it on any other occasion that i've noticed - got any idea's on how to fix this? all help will be greatly appreciated :>

Edit: Im on win 7, Im just using a 'wireless router' (sorry i don't know the make or model :/) I don't recall any updates anywhere near the time this started - Oh, and heldplayer seems to think its because I'm sending the router too much traffic (but doesn't know how one would fix this)

Last edited by Thaw111 on 13 Sep 2011, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

pt 
 Post subject: Re: Connection Issues
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 20:51 
Geek (697)
Could you give a bit more info, like which OS and internet equipment you're using. Also, did it start happening reccently or it always happened? If it's reccent, do you recall there being any update to your internet equipment or TF2? Any other info you can think of would also help ^^

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 20:54 
Likes to type... (229)
Sure. I'll edit the post.

cl 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 21:39 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
This has been happening to me too, although it only started happening after the last update... Hopefully it will fix itself soon? I know it's not lag because it also happens on Chilean servers and shit...

pt 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 22:35 
Geek (697)
Oh oh oh, I had that problem too a few times before and only after I started to use win7. Although there's some arguing into this statement, it it's assumed by the majority that win7 just doesn't "get along" weel with wireless connections.

In my case, I used D-link equipment and although I tried countless possible solutions, nothing seemed to fix it or at least permanently. It kinda seems to "fix itself" with time, it doesn't even update, it just slowly starts to stop causing dc's and eventually it will just stop doing it.

My solution, either have the patience to see if it "fixes itself", find which equipment you're using so you can search in the interwebz for a solution or get a wire connection.

Howard or saint might have a few words about this kind of issue as well.

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 23:08 
Likes to type... (229)
I have a few words too: If it D/C's again, my router/modem and laptop are going out the upstairs window. There. I've given them their warning.

nl 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 23:40 
Community slut (13473)
Are there any other wireless networks around you which you can see from your client station?

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 09:00 
Likes to type... (229)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Are there any other wireless networks around you which you can see from your client station?
Yeah, there's like 15 other ones I can see

nl 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 09:24 
Community slut (13473)
Thaw111 wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Yeah, there's like 15 other ones I can see
Download a network scanner, find the most isolated network channel and configure your router to communicate on that channel.

be 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 09:36 
Geek (885)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Download a network scanner, find the most isolated network channel and configure your router to communicate on that channel.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Everyone should do this regardless of whether they have connection issues or not.

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 15:08 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
The trouble with wireless is that there are so many other things that can interrupt the connection. Even though isolating the router may work a little, there will always be some other device that will break the signal.

de 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 15:55 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
[SpA]annarack wrote:
The trouble with wireless is that there are so many other things that can interrupt the connection. Even though isolating the router may work a little, there will always be some other device that will break the signal.
Yee.... put the router into a safe! :4

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 15:59 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
[SpA]annarack wrote:
Genius!

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 17:53 
The one and only (619)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
[SpA]annarack wrote:
Why didnt i think of this!!

nl 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 17:58 
Community slut (13473)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 22:00 
Likes to type... (229)
I have no idea what that last link means :/ but i changed to what looked like a "less busy" channel and it seemed to work... :> Or at least i haven't been disconnected yet so yeah! Cheers Saint! (and everyone else for their contribution ^^)