Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:51

All times are UTC+02:00

se 
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2011, 20:59 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
What's the easiest way to extract snippets from movies while retaining the quality? I'd like to put some stuff up on the tubes.

I'm an idiot with these things and would prefer a "keep original format" type of thing and not have to fiddle with tons of options. I've tried with Premiere, but everything always comes out horrible, no matter what the settings are.

Thanks

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 02:05 
The one and only (619)
I'm not an expert but I'm guessing you have the movie on your PC, torrented or whatever so why can't you just pop it into movie maker and crop it there? I've made some 1080p videos in movie maker so it should be fine!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 02:42 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
depends really on the file type and codec used for the video, there is plenty of different software you can use. I use tmpgenc and fraps at work but they are not freeware. what file type is it?

de 
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2011, 14:19 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Only stuff I know is VirtualDub where you can easily cut video files with.

se 
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2011, 15:07 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
ZEnergy wrote:
I'm not an expert but I'm guessing you have the movie on your PC, torrented or whatever so why can't you just pop it into movie maker and crop it there? I've made some 1080p videos in movie maker so it should be fine!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I'm assuming the W7 movie maker is different to the Vista one? (Yes, I'm still using Vista. :ugly:)

IIRC last I tried with the "best quality setting" the resolution was the same, but the quality was not.
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
depends really on the file type and codec used for the video, there is plenty of different software you can use. I use tmpgenc and fraps at work but they are not freeware. what file type is it?
MKV, MP4 mostly. Fraps seems sensitive to things lagging and output usually comes out like this:

... even if the video resolution is less than that of my screen, and it is playing in fullscreen in VLC.

I'll see what VirtualDub is

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2011, 15:19 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Fraps will only record what the output resolution of a file or source is, so scaling the video wont mean what comes out is the same size. To be able to use fraps for movies, you have to have a pretty good pc, which is why I can get away with it at work; but its not the prettiest option.

Tmpgenc is the best I've found so far, but its not freeware, so virtual dub is probably your best bet if you don't want to pay, but Tmpgenc is really easy to use, VDub is a bit fiddily but also the most versatile.

With MP4's you could also get quick time pro. MKV is not a codec, its a container, which makes it annoying to edit sometimes as you have to repackage it.

se 
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 22:07 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
Just noticed VLC has a button for recording which worked great. :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 22:12 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
where??!!

se 
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 07:53 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
View -> Advanced Controls

gb 
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 12:05 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Mind Blown! where have you been all my life!