Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:25

All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
gb 
 Post subject: Re: Day Z
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 11:39 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Got any Lemsips?

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 11:41 
Crap at posting (45)
Only the powder, and that requires you to go find water, start a fire, a pan, a cup, and some slippers in order to use it.

This is day Z. This is your story.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 12:51 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Inventory is not just horrible, it is actively broken.

The temperature bug is now fixed but has been replaced by a "animals no longer spawn" bug so good luck getting your blood back.

On the subject of animals: the addition of wood to make fires is sensible but a) why must it take up such a stupid amount of inventory space and b) why can I only get wood in buildings? :lol: Stood in a forest, desperate to cook food? Well of course you can't use the trees - what kind of crazed reality would that be?

Man's a tool.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 13:06 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Oh and the zombie damage increase is substantial and they also aggro much more easily. Just been attacked or no reason by a zombie that was at least 20 metres away when I was hard-nosing it along. :lol: :4

So, there I lie again, down below 1000 blood, fully kitted out with everything I could possibly need to survive but I will never be able to get my blood back as there are no animals spawning :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 13:13 
Crap at posting (45)
The inventory UI works fine, it's just very clunky, convoluted and sometimes (often) the client/server sync lag sometimes makes it unresponsive. You just have to catch it when it's having a good day :wink:

There is a lot of work to do on this mod, and it's still early days. The team size and resources allocated (if any now) probably aren't all that great; and implementation and asset creation does take time; player's can't expect the world in a day, you don't have to praise him, but he doesn't warrant the abuse. If it was that easy, we would all have already made this game ourselves over a weekend lol. Why not wait a few months, then you won't be get so frustrated. That's the problem I see on some servers, people are joining and instantly complaining about the wait, the bugs, and server/client sync issues; these guys have read an article got the game and expected a polished finished zombie shooter title, whereas this is barely alpha, especially if they are still testing out new features and ideas.

Just eat every can of food you find ^^ (it will take a while, but you will get all your blood back in 5hours or so lol)

Me and Mo have just started shooting them now, screw all the creeping around now lol, go big or go home attitude! We got places to be!

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 13:16 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
dougy85 wrote:
The inventory UI works fine, it's just very clunky, convoluted and sometimes (often) the client/server sync lag sometimes makes it unresponsive. You just have to catch it when it's having a good day :wink:

No./ No it does not as I specified a few posts above. You are often utterly unable to get items in or out of your pack, dropping a pack to pick up another DELETES IT and ALL THE ITEMS IT CONTAINS and often items just disappear for no reason.

The inventory is a shambles, an utter and complete farce, causing more deaths now for me than anything else.

EDIT - also, as of today, I no longer get any blood back from tinned food. I have just stood in a market and eaten 8 cans - it made no difference.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 13:56 
Crap at posting (45)
Yeah, I've had issues like that, but it's usually down to sync issues, and sometimes items bug out if you do things near items etc. But lol if you catch it on a good day, it will behave, but yeah can be a real arse sometimes, especially when you know someones coming for you haha.

Howard, I know you like the same things I like about the game; and just think in a few months time and with all the support and indie/freelance dev's helping him and sending him assets how grand it's going to be. I hope you are submitting feedback to them so they can help improve it.

I'm not sure I like the bandit skin change, yes of course I love the fact it's even high stakes now and who can you trust?!? But I always thought the bandit skin was really good punishment for murder, so when you see a bandit on the coast when you respawn and he's just respawned you are fully allowed to shoot on sight with no humanity cost, and that's what they deserve.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 14:00 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
dougy85 wrote:
Yeah, I've had issues like that, but it's usually down to sync issues, and sometimes items bug out if you do things near items etc. But lol if you catch it on a good day, it will behave, but yeah can be a real arse sometimes, especially when you know someones coming for you haha.

Howard, I know you like the same things I like about the game; and just think in a few months time and with all the support and indie/freelance dev's helping him and sending him assets how grand it's going to be. I hope you are submitting feedback to them so they can help improve it.

I'm not sure I like the bandit skin change, yes of course I love the fact it's even high stakes now and who can you trust?!? But I always thought the bandit skin was really good punishment for murder, so when you see a bandit on the coast when you respawn and he's just respawned you are fully allowed to shoot on sight with no humanity cost, and that's what they deserve.
Oh sure it will improve, but that will not stop me from mocking the shit out of him every time he does something dumb. :lol:

As to teh skin: agreed but I gave up on that long ago. I now treat this game as what it is: deathmatch with a huge queue.

Kill or be killed - only way to go. :4

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 14:16 
Crap at posting (45)
[SpA]Howard wrote:

Oh sure it will improve, but that will not stop me from mocking the shit out of him every time he does something dumb. :lol:

As to teh skin: agreed but I gave up on that long ago. I now treat this game as what it is: deathmatch with a huge queue.

I'm sure he will put wood spawns in the forests soon enough. I hope BE are giving him all the additional support they can spare. (or secretly someone with a better engine has dumped a suit case of money onto his lap).

Kill or Be Killed, that is DayZ in a nut shell, it's law of the jungle, and now it's harder to know who is friend or foe! I just stay away from Elektro and Cherno so to avoid the PVP deathmatch, but in the real zombie apocalypse, people will turn into aholes and murder for no reason! SICK BASTARDS!

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 14:27 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
dougy85 wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

I'm sure he will put wood spawns in the forests soon enough. I hope BE are giving him all the additional support they can spare. (or secretly someone with a better engine has dumped a suit case of money onto his lap).

Kill or Be Killed, that is DayZ in a nut shell, it's law of the jungle, and now it's harder to know who is friend or foe! I just stay away from Elektro and Cherno so to avoid the PVP deathmatch, but in the real zombie apocalypse, people will turn into aholes and murder for no reason! SICK BASTARDS!
You do know there is no such thing as a zombie apocalypse and never will be, right?

And what I mean by kill of be killed is that I just kill everyone. its so boring in this game. There is simply nothing to do so I just piss others off now. The shine will wear off that in a few hours too.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 14:43 
Crap at posting (45)
[SpA]Howard wrote:

You do know there is no such thing as a zombie apocalypse and never will be, right?

And what I mean by kill of be killed is that I just kill everyone. its so boring in this game. There is simply nothing to do so I just piss others off now. The shine will wear off that in a few hours too.
REALLY?! After all the fucking films and tv shows I'm going be pretty pissed when it just turns out to just be China enslaving the entire world and not zombies :<

But yes, I can separate reality and a video game, and like life, you get out of it what you put into it. So it maybe meta, but I don't get that same response when I play L4D or Dead Island and get the level of immersion Rocket has successfully achieved for me. For me it's like playing a role in the Walking Dead universe with all the character conflict and struggle it contains.

Never say never Howard. The human race has proven to be capable of creating many wonderful, beautiful and destructive things.

But in context of the game, if that scenario was to ever happen, what you are experiencing would happen, with no law, a holes who are normal in prison will kill whoever they want to and take whatever they want if given the chance; and that's what makes the world of Day Z so terrifyingly awesome! and unless you are just running into the major cities all the time, you can avoid the PvP and go make your own objectives and missions. Are you shouting, <name> friendly? at people or just shooting? If I have to trust someone random, I just make sure I'm not stood in front of them.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 15:38 
Has no REAL life! (1620)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
No./ No it does not as I specified a few posts above. You are often utterly unable to get items in or out of your pack, dropping a pack to pick up another DELETES IT and ALL THE ITEMS IT CONTAINS and often items just disappear for no reason.

The inventory is a shambles, an utter and complete farce, causing more deaths now for me than anything else.

EDIT - also, as of today, I no longer get any blood back from tinned food. I have just stood in a market and eaten 8 cans - it made no difference.
I'm able to drop my pack and collect it, or swap it and get all my items back. The inventory is a mess though the best you can say is it comes with a learning curve as steep as a wall, the worst is its broken.

But it is alpha its not a full release not even close, we're essentially being used as a large set of game testers and that's it.

As long as the animals come back I'll be fine.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 15:44 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I think the humanity feature has been taken out so it can be worked on properly along with the skins. Sadly this does mean it will be shoot on sight now for everyone or run the risk of them shooting you. I hope as this game progresses survivors become friendly to other survivors by default.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 15:47 
Crap at posting (45)
@Cardboardcutout If I was an animal on Chernarus; I'd hide away as well! :D And indeed, we are just testers atm, this isn't a finished product, and like all art forms, it's experimental right now, the designer is still trying to get his whole concept across, so it's not worth getting upset about right now, bugs will be fixed, features will be added and ironed out -as long as he stick's to the main USP of this game, then it's going to be awesome.

@ JuncoPartner, I've bumped into survivors who have just aimed at me, and we mutually just backed away from each other. If you don't communicate people will get shot, but my advice is, unless you know them, stay away from them (i think they taught me that back in primary school to be fair).

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 15:54 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Well I am just killing everyone, and if I cant't kill them,I'll make sure to trigger a zombie stampede on them.

This really has gotten bad though. now we can log in quicker, life is easy. Its nothing to do with survival at all as you wont live that long for it to matter unless you piss about in the wilderness.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 15:56 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
dougy85 wrote:
I've bumped into survivors who have just aimed at me, and we mutually just backed away from each other.
I've died twice backing away and allowing them to do the same, and now that there's no skins killing could be the smart thing to do.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 15:59 
Crap at posting (45)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Well I am just killing everyone, and if I cant't kill them,I'll make sure to trigger a zombie stampede on them.

This really has gotten bad though. now we can log in quicker, life is easy. Its nothing to do with survival at all as you wont live that long for it to matter unless you piss about in the wilderness.
@Howard, you live as long as you can, it's still about survival; I've had my current life for 3 days now. If you are dying a lot then, that's down to you and your circumstances; the proof is in the fact some people are not dying as frequently; and if they are that means they are just too close to the hot spots, or not making the decisions required quick enough to survive. Only shoot people if they are an immediate threat, if you can avoid them and conserve ammo/life then do that.

@ JuncoPartner, Then you'll have to kill them then (don't worry about humanity, it's alpha, humans have been killing each other since the beginning), if they don't communicate then they are a threat to your survival and it's down to you or them. It's what the game is all about. Nothing forces you to kill, and nothing forces you to play nice, you just have to roll with the punches and do what it takes to live as long as you can, that's the challenge.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 16:05 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
dougy85 wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

@Howard, you live as long as you can, it's still about survival; I've had my current life for 3 days now. If you are dying a lot then, that's down to you and your circumstances; the proof is in the fact some people are not dying as frequently; and if they are that means they are just too close to the hot spots, or not making the decisions required quick enough to survive. Only shoot people if they are an immediate threat, if you can avoid them and conserve ammo/life then do that.

Nope, its not about survival at all. :D Survival is ham strung and, flatly, boring. I am just having fun, disrupting peoples day and breaking their immersion. :4 I die every hour or so but, guess what? It has no consequence! I lose nothing and can have a full set of kit back within 20 minutes.

Its Deathmatch, pure and simple now. Pew pew! 8)

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 16:13 
Crap at posting (45)
Hehe flat out statements like that aren't good to make Howard; especially considering it's a subjective art form. I don't get bored surviving, it's part of the challenge of the game, it's tense especially when you are not in a hot spot, when gun fire is rare and when you hear it after an hour of silence, it's gripping! Once you have all your equipment and stocked up it feels more costly to aimlessly just throw a life away.

But that's is how you choose to play it though :wink: You're a bandit my friend lol. Bandit's are there to kill survivors, and everyone frankly.

We rock the greatest city on earth, Berizeno and the consequence for us when we die is the long as trek back up to it. But I don't like to waste a life, it's not the point for me. But Like the Mod says, "This is your story".

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 16:20 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
dougy85 wrote:
Hehe flat out statements like that aren't good to make Howard; especially considering it's a subjective art form. I don't get bored surviving, it's part of the challenge of the game, it's tense especially when you are not in a hot spot, when gun fire is rare and when you hear it after an hour of silence, it's gripping! Once you have all your equipment and stocked up it feels more costly to aimlessly just throw a life away.

But that's is how you choose to play it though :wink: You're a bandit my friend lol. Bandit's are there to kill survivors, and everyone frankly.

We rock the greatest city on earth, Berizeno and the consequence for us when we die is the long as trek back up to it. But I don't like to waste a life, it's not the point for me. But Like the Mod says, "This is your story".
Nah, the story is the same as the story of Quake 3.
- spawn
- kill stuff
- die
- repeat

Just add in stopping for snacks and you are there :wink:

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 17:22 
Crap at posting (45)
lol Howard, you are bleaker than Victor Meldrew!

My story is much more interesting than that! :D

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 17:48 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
dougy85 wrote:
lol Howard, you are bleaker than Victor Meldrew!

My story is much more interesting than that! :D
"Story." As in, imaginary :D

If I want fiction, I'll write it. :wink:

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 18:25 
Crap at posting (45)
lol Howard, you get out of the game what you put into it. The designer made this mod with the intention of allowing players to create their own stories and experiences. I just read about a guy in DayZ who setup his own field hospital and spent his day's helping people which is very realistic. If you can write fiction, then surely you possess skills like imagination, character exploration and roleplay. The game was made popular purely by the stories everyone was posting on the forums; and that's what so interesting about this mod.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 18:43 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
dougy85 wrote:
lol Howard, you get out of the game what you put into it. The designer made this mod with the intention of allowing players to create their own stories and experiences. I just read about a guy in DayZ who setup his own field hospital and spent his day's helping people which is very realistic. If you can write fiction, then surely you possess skills like imagination, character exploration and roleplay. The game was made popular purely by the stories everyone was posting on the forums; and that's what so interesting about this mod.
Lol. It gets better. :D

If you want to live in your game, a game that does not exist, with stories that never happened, while the rest of us just bomb round shooting people, then shit: whatever floats your boat mate. :5:
What you are doing could be done with ANY game: it is not unique to this mod.
There is no reward for staying alive and the engine and mod are too amateurish and unstable to allow you to stay alive by skill alone. Getting equipment is, in fact, arguably the most interesting part but if you want to hide in the woods for days playing Sim Hermit, you go nuts mate :18

As to your other post in which you said some guy set up a field hospital: I give it 48 hours before he is shot and his every last supply taken. Even if he has not, he will not have made an impact on anyone or on the game as this is not really a persistent world. Its just a large death match map with huge distances between the weapon spawns.

UPDATE: Either way, I am no longer able to play this. Our New Messiah has shown his amazing programming skills again by managing to code a huge bug that reduces your FPS to unplayable levels. Given that he has added no graphics at all bar a few skins and has made no changes to the renderer, that is one impressive amount of fuck up. Its like fixing someone's car and accidently killing their grandparents 500 miles away. :lol:

gb 
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 19:14 
Crap at posting (45)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
dougy85 wrote:
Lol. It gets better. :D

If you want to live in your game, a game that does not exist, with stories that never happened, while the rest of us just bomb round shooting people, then shit: whatever floats your boat mate. :5:
What you are doing could be done with ANY game: it is not unique to this mod.
There is no reward for staying alive and the engine and mod are too amateurish and unstable to allow you to stay alive by skill alone. Getting equipment is, in fact, arguably the most interesting part but if you want to hide in the woods for days playing Sim Hermit, you go nuts mate :18

As to your other post in which you said some guy set up a field hospital: I give it 48 hours before he is shot and his every last supply taken. Even if he has not, he will not have made an impact on anyone or on the game as this is not really a persistent world. Its just a large death match map with huge distances between the weapon spawns.

UPDATE: Either way, I am no longer able to play this. Our New Messiah has shown his amazing programming skills again by managing to code a huge bug that reduces your FPS to unplayable levels. Given that he has added no graphics at all bar a few skins and has made no changes to the renderer, that is one impressive amount of fuck up. Its like fixing someone's car and accidently killing their grandparents 500 miles away. :lol:

Dead wrong lol (excuse the choice of words haha) I'd appreciate it if you weren't condescending; it's really not called for when you are having an intelligent discussion.

It's deathmatch, sure, but you have a choice i.e. not having to kill someone. You don't run up to people in CoD and shout friendly don't shoot, that's retarded and contradicts what that game is about, you don't have a choice, but you can in this, and that can produce fragile alliances, deception, friendship and then ultimately loss or betrayal (watch the trailer :roll: ). All you have to do is look at the front page of the website and this will all become clear to you.

The stories that didn't happen? It just sounds like you haven't had many memorable experiences with the game other than dying . And when you take a cold clinical view of it, you miss the point entirely and then you just have your deathmatch game. It's fine, you need people playing it like that. But please don't assume I'm living in the woods lol, I'm just not running around the main cities all day and dying in a cheap way; me and my friends that I roll with help out other survivors, hunt bandits, explore the dangerous locations like the airfields, and roll around the fields of berizino like happy pigs etc. Out of my 8 deaths, 2 of which due to sync lag, were all memorable and instead of being frustrated, I learned from it and also applauded at how entertain the events were that led up to it. "It can be done with ANY game" Christ, I don't walk around new york city in GTA4 and pretend I'm skiing in the alps?!?! That's a really out there statement to make, and again, you may have missed the point of the mod. But some people live as hermits in this game, they hunt and that's cool too, sometimes they have bandits on their land and they shoot at them; it's life in DayZ.

I'm not sure what happened to the field hospital guy, he had bodyguards, but again the point flies right over your head. If he get's attacked by bandits and his hospital he setup gets burnt to the ground faster than it took to setup then that's awesome and completely part of the game's design and ethos. That's the sort of thing you would expect to see in a film basically.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but you come across really bitter at this guy in all your posts. If you can do it better, then by all means go nuts mate! :18 :wink:

I'm surprised this mod/game hasn't been made already. I'm pretty sure loads of people are starting their own now, but it's a daunting task and he's got a mod out there that thousands of people are spamming return to try and play it.

Game is running fine for me, have you sorted out your video settings? I'll post up the changes in the help me thread. But why are you trying to play a deathmatch game where you have to run miles to get a weapon...? surely you should just rock a MP game where you spawn with a gun... save the jog.

gb 
PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 13:18 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
I've written 2 very different replies to this. I may still post the other one but for now...

dougy85 wrote:
Dead wrong lol (excuse the choice of words haha) I'd appreciate it if you weren't condescending; it's really not called for when you are having an intelligent discussion.
Again I am not being condescending. I am not talking down to you or assuming you are stupid. This is because you are not stupid. You are reasonable and eloquent with your responses and clearly a decent guy. I am not talking down to you.
dougy85 wrote:
Game is running fine for me, have you sorted out your video settings? I'll post up the changes in the help me thread. But why are you trying to play a deathmatch game where you have to run miles to get a weapon...? surely you should just rock a MP game where you spawn with a gun... save the jog.
I have forgotten more about PCs this morning than most people will ever know. Its a bug, apparently produced by extended server uptime.
dougy85 wrote:
I'm not sure what happened to the field hospital guy, he had bodyguards, but again the point flies right over your head. If he get's attacked by bandits and his hospital he setup gets burnt to the ground faster than it took to setup then that's awesome and completely part of the game's design and ethos. That's the sort of thing you would expect to see in a film basically.
And films have...what to do with games? no idea what you are even talking about at this point.
dougy85 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's just me, but you come across really bitter at this guy in all your posts. If you can do it better, then by all means go nuts mate! :18 :wink:
You can read whatever you like into my posts but how you get to bitter is anyone's guess. I am angry at Rocket for being suck a douche and fucking this up but I am even more angry at the people who play this mod.
As to" if you can do better": seriously? This is the level of discussion I am dealing with? Critics of a given field are rarely those who create within that field. One does not have to be an author to review books. Please don't argue stupid things.
dougy85 wrote:
It's deathmatch, sure, but you have a choice i.e. not having to kill someone. You don't run up to people in CoD and shout friendly don't shoot, that's retarded and contradicts what that game is about, you don't have a choice, but you can in this, and that can produce fragile alliances, deception, friendship and then ultimately loss or betrayal (watch the trailer :roll: ). All you have to do is look at the front page of the website and this will all become clear to you.

The stories that didn't happen? It just sounds like you haven't had many memorable experiences with the game other than dying . And when you take a cold clinical view of it, you miss the point entirely and then you just have your deathmatch game. It's fine, you need people playing it like that. But please don't assume I'm living in the woods lol, I'm just not running around the main cities all day and dying in a cheap way; me and my friends that I roll with help out other survivors, hunt bandits, explore the dangerous locations like the airfields, and roll around the fields of berizino like happy pigs etc. Out of my 8 deaths, 2 of which due to sync lag, were all memorable and instead of being frustrated, I learned from it and also applauded at how entertain the events were that led up to it. "It can be done with ANY game" Christ, I don't walk around new york city in GTA4 and pretend I'm skiing in the alps?!?! That's a really out there statement to make, and again, you may have missed the point of the mod. But some people live as hermits in this game, they hunt and that's cool too, sometimes they have bandits on their land and they shoot at them; it's life in DayZ.
This is the issue. You are, in the nicest sense of the word, a fan boy. You refuse to see wrong and are blinded by the concept of this mod and by the experiences you have had. You utterly and completely believe in what you have seen and no amount of rationale or reason will ever persuade you otherwise. You have decided that you will loudly and at length both tout and support this mod, arguing aggressively with anyone who dares to raise concern or objection. You are, in no uncertain terms, smitten.

I am, contrary to your, flatly arrogant and patronising, belief, fully capable of immersing myself in a story, a situation or an experience. I do not need it to be fed to me, Hollywood style, I am quite capable of creating my own experience through interaction with something sufficiently engaging and competently done.

This is not competently done. From the ground up it is flawed. The engine on which it is based is renowned for its idiocy yet Rocket has decided not to fix or address any of the issues but has ploughed blindly on, strapping other nonsense on. How can I immerse myself in a world that is staggeringly inconsistent, bereft of purpose and, by and large, totally empty? We cannot interact with this world, make any difference to it, create anything, change anything or do anything meaningful. At the moment the whole experience of DayZ is getting your gear. With that done, as I have said elsewhere, it is hollow. I have guns, ammo, supplies, tools to get infinite supplies and an easy source of anything else I could possibly want.
Now here is where you argue that imagination and interaction are key. And you are right. Well, you would be right if interaction was possible. The lag in this game is like nothing I have ever seen before. Get within 20 metres of another human and everything goes to hell as the tragic, hamstrung, shambling bag of code that this creaking abortion calls an engine simply cannot cope. Zombies are reported in wildly different places as are players and equipment, movement and actions can be jogged back for minutes at a time as the server finally catches up with itself and even if you do manage to bypass lag there is a good chance that nothing you do can be saved and all will have been for nought. In essence, playing with others is a sure fire way to get you killed as you are walking through a minefield of zombies and other players and you have no idea where any of them are.
Then there is balancing - or rather the complete lack of it. Death comes stupidly easily in this game and, thanks to the issues listed above, normally without warning as the engine has no clue what the fuck is going on. Random shit happens constantly and there is no way to learn from what happened if you have no idea what went on.
You may, as may others, argue that this is due to its alpha nature, that we have to allow for these troubles while the mod is sorted. Maybe that is true - I doubt it: BI are proving themselves more incompetent as each year passes - but even if it is, what I have just described is still the reality of the game right now. If tomorrow Rocket patches everything to perfection, removing lag, making zombies function perfectly, fixing clipping and mantling and animations and bad mechanics, it still wont change a thing. There will still be nothing to do, zombies will still have no purpose, killing others still yields no reward (you already have all the kit you need) and...there is no other "and" as there is nothing else to do.
Meta-gameplay will nto take you any further either:
"Let's go raid that village!"
"...why? We have gear and food. We would be risking it for nothing."
"Ok, lets go find someone to help.
"Ok then!"
Minutes pass...
"You there: friendly?"
"Sure. come over.
BANG
"Oh look a beach - how original."

Beyond frustration, this experience has gained you nothing. Interacting with others is dangerous anyway around and still yields nothing. You argue that people can take it further, like the dude who set up a hospital. Well lets look at that:
He set up a hospital? No, he gathered some supplies, took them to a town, got two mates to guard him then made his big announcement to chat about where he was and what he offered.
Then he stood there...

...?

Anyone who needed help that badly would a) not be able to get to him and b) be unlikely to trust him (sure know I wouldn't). So he will have stood there and done nothing. Not like he had other stuff to do while he waited. Snacked? Zeroed his sights? I dunno.

Anyway, before you just return your usual volley of "WELL I LIKE IT!!!!oneone", let me say this: I want what this game claims to offer. My issue is that it does not offer it and your frothing, love-struck diatribes do nothing to appease me.
Games need purpose or they need depth and this has neither. Were there a creator-set goal I could aim for then fine. Where there so many mechanics and layers of detail here that I could entertain myself then great.
But each time I start on that beach, the only decision I have is "do I kill in this life?". After that, its a perfunctory and flatly easy task to get kitted up. Just started on the beach at 9am today - by 10 am I was outside Berezno with a good handgun, a Winchester (through choice - the AKs are so badly modelled they are no use), full kit (knife, matches, map, compass, watch, wood) 5 tins of food, 3 canteens of water and enough bandages and injectors to survive anything bar a game fuckup. 99% of that hour was spent jogging across ugly countryside with a stupid HDR sun bobbing and weaving on the horizon. Once I arrived at Berezino, I sat outside the town. I had no reason to go in, I knew that half of the guys on the server were bandits and that the rest were new guys on the beach who did not trust me (rightly so). One of the main things that is missing is a way to protect yourself. You cannot stockpile anything bar what you can carry and you cannot improve your protection with armour (this may come but I dread to think how he will implement it).

What am I supposed to do? Get a better gun? Well sure. I have had most of the guns now. They don't change anything. Hunt things? OK - easy enough done as long as you don't mind a 15 km hike to find a fucking animal.

...?

What's next?

And that is the crux of this. He has the start of something here, the very tip of an idea. What I object to, and what makes me post here, is seeing people hammer on about the perfection that is before us. You want me to BELIEVE in this world, this cronky, badly drawn world with its ludicrous physics, teleporting zombies and horrible lighting. You want me to care for my avatar, a man who shits himself like a little girl when a zombie gets too close, a man who can starve to death in under 2 hours and die of thirst in half that time. You want me to believe in systems that insist I have to carry wood to make fires but that I cannot get wood from trees and that bones can be fused together with a magic glue called morphine. You want me to believe in the finality and brutality of a world where my only punishment for dying is a long walk through familiar territory.

I want to believe in this place too, in this Chernarus. I want to be fascinated by what went on here, I want to feel like a survivor or an explorer in an unknown land, filled with monsters. I want to make it matter to me, to leave my mark but every single system, every single item, every single thing in this whole game is flawed so much that I cannot take it seriously for laughing and pointing.

I want to take it seriously. I want it to matter. But I cannot. Nothing I do matters. If I die, the counters go back to zero and I wait 3 minutes for the shotgun to respawn.

I'm away now. I have logged my guy off, lying in the sun outside Berezno. Its likely he will stay there.

gb 
PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 17:59 
Crap at posting (45)
I don't know about you, but our epic posts take sooo much time to produce haha mainly sorting out all the quote markers lol
(we should do one topic at a time from now on, I've got blisters! :wink:)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
I've written 2 very different replies to this. I may still post the other one but for now...
dougy85 wrote:
Again I am not being condescending. I am not talking down to you or assuming you are stupid. This is because you are not stupid. You are reasonable and eloquent with your responses and clearly a decent guy. I am not talking down to you.
My apologies for accusing you of that, and I know you don't think you are doing it (as most people don't) but you do come across that way sometimes, even if it's not your intention. I might be alone on that, but that is just my perception.
[SpA]Howard wrote:
You can read whatever you like into my posts but how you get to bitter is anyone's guess. I am angry at Rocket for being suck a douche and fucking this up but I am even more angry at the people who play this mod.
As to" if you can do better": seriously? This is the level of discussion I am dealing with? Critics of a given field are rarely those who create within that field. One does not have to be an author to review books. Please don't argue stupid things.
Bitter was perhaps not the best word to describe what I was getting at. I don't praise Rocket. I just personally feel you are being openly aggressive towards someone who essentially was just doing his own thing and suddenly that just exploded in public awareness and popularity; the demand for the product and vision he is still working on outweighs his ability to develop it as quickly as players want. I just don't see it as constructive, I'll happily call Robert Kotick a douche bag because it's clearly validated; but Rocket is just trying to make his vision and it's still early days, and he is still experimenting and testing out new ideas, some will work and some wont. All I'm saying is, and I do hope you agree, you are expecting a lot from something that you admit isn't finished and just barely scraping the line between functional pre-alpha build and tech demo lol. You basically want the flying car, but are upset that the thing only floats for a few seconds then short circuits. But there is a reason this game doesn't already exist.

>> Most importantly, my comment was suppose to illustrate the fact you are critiquing the artist's sketches and models, not the finished painting. Which is why I don't appreciate the harsher terms of endearment that you use to make your points.

[SpA]Howard wrote:

This is the issue. You are, in the nicest sense of the word, a fan boy. You refuse to see wrong and are blinded by the concept of this mod and by the experiences you have had. You utterly and completely believe in what you have seen and no amount of rationale or reason will ever persuade you otherwise. You have decided that you will loudly and at length both tout and support this mod, arguing aggressively with anyone who dares to raise concern or objection. You are, in no uncertain terms, smitten.

I am, contrary to your, flatly arrogant and patronising, belief, fully capable of immersing myself in a story, a situation or an experience. I do not need it to be fed to me, Hollywood style, I am quite capable of creating my own experience through interaction with something sufficiently engaging and competently done.
I'm a zombie fanboy, I wont deny that. I've been a fan of special effects and makeup effects since I was Jurassic Park as a kid (and more disturbingly watching Arnie dig out his own eye in Terminator - my parent's didn't think that showing their kid at 7 those types of movies wouldn't affect him later in life lol) and I love Nicotero and Savini's make up work. In regards to zombie literature and film's, I've always found the slow, relentless threat to be quite engaging (which is why I'm not a fan of running zombies, but understand that's what modern audiences need now to avoid the goofy/silly sentiment observation you previously made.)
But please don't get me wrong, and don't assume I'm blind to the various technical issues that have a negative effect on gameplay and immersion. Like you, I'm pretty cynical and critical of almost everything; but equally I like to experience as much as possible, good and bad. I've grown so tired of Left4Dead, found dead rising to goofy/arcadey and was thoroughly disappointed with dead island, so a few months ago when I was made aware of this mod, I was of course very excited. On my first life, I instantly had the same feelings I had when I first played the L4D demo and enjoyed the atmospherics (but once you have played the boxed maps it got old and all those feelings dispersed), but the strange thing was, they didn't go away, I was very entertained and the level of immersion I felt with the environment just appealed to me.

I was purely being patronising in a cheeky satirical way as I felt the same from you. It's not pleasant and was illustrating how it's really not necessary; when we are both just stating a preference based off either technical evidence or a subjective emotional reaction. If I can be immersed by a technically broken mod which has barely all the features the designer wants to implement, then I'm even more excited about the product when it's content completely and the technical issues are ironed out. The point we always have to get back to is that this mod as it stands at the moment, wouldn't be deemed alpha by any major testing body or publisher; the fact is, regardless of engine and functionality at the moment, the concept is sound as you have said yourself.

I would definitely agree I'm smitten over this game. It's essentially along the right direction of what I personally want out of a zombie video game. But I argue that you haven't made a point that has given rationale to change my emotional interaction with the game. You can argue that half the people who played Portal didn't actually feel like a small test subject trapped in a manic AI's wet dream of a torture chamber, and just played it as video game where they shot some holes and then completed it. Equally it can be said that half the people who play DayZ, walk around, shoot stuff and log off. It's all about your reception to the media you consume. Like how you laugh and cry at a film, you can't argue or rationalise an emotional response, WW2 films make me cry because I think about my grand dad, even when they are hilarious like Kelly's Heroes; that film shouldn't make me cry, but it does. Same is to be said about DayZ, ill feel fear, and dread, happiness and betrayal which I would never in a million years get from another title. Horror film's don't scare me, but Penumbra made me terrified to my core. Don't assume I'm blind to the technical issues, and I want the dev to keep improving and adding new stuff to his concept; like buildings you can secure and make into a safe house, the dog idea is great, maybe setting up a communications tower or something.

It's an open world, and the ideas for what you can do in it should be open, this will all come in time! I think when "fanboys" of the mod get defensive is when people suggest changes that would essentially effect the core of the game; we want it to be challenging (thus the possible appeal for it being based on an army sim atm rather than a more action orientated engine [though arma2's engine is very shit]) we want it to feel like an open world with various outcomes and possibilities; and I guess essentially we want to feel vulnerable like a human being should do; unlike the common trend of every game character being a mohawk sporting, steroid guzzling space marine with power armour and gruff voice, with a name like Dick Killington lol. I want to feel like that guy in the film who wakes up on a beach, with no idea where they are, all alone, no idea what to do, trapped, and soon realising the huge threat that faces him, and the challenges and relationships that will come from it.

I'm excited to see how it develops, but ill lose interest if it becomes a really big L4D with all the elements of survival and realism gone; and I believe that is what they are screaming about, I don't think they care about specifics, they just don't want the game to stray away from what the core USP is.

[SpA]Howard wrote:
This is not competently done. From the ground up it is flawed. The engine on which it is based is renowned for its idiocy yet Rocket has decided not to fix or address any of the issues but has ploughed blindly on, strapping other nonsense on. How can I immerse myself in a world that is staggeringly inconsistent, bereft of purpose and, by and large, totally empty? We cannot interact with this world, make any difference to it, create anything, change anything or do anything meaningful. At the moment the whole experience of DayZ is getting your gear. With that done, as I have said elsewhere, it is hollow. I have guns, ammo, supplies, tools to get infinite supplies and an easy source of anything else I could possibly want.
Now here is where you argue that imagination and interaction are key. And you are right. Well, you would be right if interaction was possible. The lag in this game is like nothing I have ever seen before. Get within 20 metres of another human and everything goes to hell as the tragic, hamstrung, shambling bag of code that this creaking abortion calls an engine simply cannot cope. Zombies are reported in wildly different places as are players and equipment, movement and actions can be jogged back for minutes at a time as the server finally catches up with itself and even if you do manage to bypass lag there is a good chance that nothing you do can be saved and all will have been for nought. In essence, playing with others is a sure fire way to get you killed as you are walking through a minefield of zombies and other players and you have no idea where any of them are.

Indeed, this is so far away from done, and that's what is so exciting, the possibilities for an open world with no rules is brilliant, and probably any designers wet dream. Of course, after a few weeks of this mod as it is, with no updates and new features coming online, my level of immersion will dwindle for sure; but it's early days yet; I'm sure Rocket has got a lot of ideas for this and his only limitation I assume right now is man power, time and resources.

But this is what I mean Howard, you are attacking the guy and calling him names, but he's probably got a life, family, and as you know DayZ is going to be a big game (size wise) and there is a lot of work to do, and he can only go so fast and do so much with what he's got right now. That's all I'm saying; he's not being idiotic for following his passion and dream; so as gamers, we are not praising him like you colourfully made out, but just supporting him. It's not constructive and he's very aware of the issues he's currently dealing with.
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Then there is balancing - or rather the complete lack of it. Death comes stupidly easily in this game and, thanks to the issues listed above, normally without warning as the engine has no clue what the fuck is going on. Random shit happens constantly and there is no way to learn from what happened if you have no idea what went on.
He said in an interview, he's not balancing it. Life is unfair, and a simulator needs to comply to that (otherwise a flight sim would always be set in perfect weather etc). Bullets make you bleed and die very quickly, and if you run up hills for a few hours you will need to consume energy to continue. You might spawn in safety or on the swords blade. You might stumble on bandits, you might stumble on friends. You might slip on your mouse key and shoot in a quiet city, like someone in that scenario in real life might forget to turn on the safety and accidentally shoot their gun. It takes a while to get something out of your Alice pack, because that represents how long you would physically take to get a can of food out of a full bag. Your friend might friendly fire on you in the heat of a battle, accidents happen in life, so they happen in game. Sure you can't have realism all the time, like I said morphine doesn't set bone or make a cast, but the in the context of a video game, that's ultra realism that pushes past enjoyment. And now you can get sick, so that influences your actions even more so now.

[SpA]Howard wrote:
You may, as may others, argue that this is due to its alpha nature, that we have to allow for these troubles while the mod is sorted. Maybe that is true - I doubt it: BI are proving themselves more incompetent as each year passes - but even if it is, what I have just described is still the reality of the game right now. If tomorrow Rocket patches everything to perfection, removing lag, making zombies function perfectly, fixing clipping and mantling and animations and bad mechanics, it still wont change a thing. There will still be nothing to do, zombies will still have no purpose, killing others still yields no reward (you already have all the kit you need) and...there is no other "and" as there is nothing else to do.
It's alpha yes, but it's not even alpha in the sense the industry uses. Most alphas are content complete nowadays, but just buggy. Rocket has still got lots of features to implement, mechanics to add, buildings to open up. It's an open environment, the bar doesnt stop with just pvp and pve. I honestly hope he adds the ability to make a house your own, board up the windows with wood, have a store room, gun cabinet lol fire place for the dog to rest at. You know, go all Robert Neville about it! We are having this back and fourth because you want it all right away, but we shouldn't even be playing this yet; the mod is unfinished and buggy, (and no one is arguing with you that the engine is a tonne of shit and he is probably wishing some big dev approaches him with a sweet engine and a team to help), but the potential of the idea and the lack of rules and the distancing from common video game biases is what is so attractive and appealing (I'm not saying it's the first time this has happened, just that it doesn't happen often).
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Meta-gameplay will nto take you any further either:
"Let's go raid that village!"
"...why? We have gear and food. We would be risking it for nothing."
"Ok, lets go find someone to help.
"Ok then!"
Minutes pass...
"You there: friendly?"
"Sure. come over.
BANG
"Oh look a beach - how original."

Howard, you can boil down anything into it's simplest parts and have the same outcome. But what you are doing is stripping away context. I'll walk to a location on the map with some friends, and in TS we are still talking about bullshit and I'm still sat in my study; but after 20mins of nothing and suddenly we hear a distant shot, I'm sucked back in; you've got the scale of the world and the risk that MP games offer all in one. I personally don't get that in game's often, but in HL2 when I noticed G-Man flicker on a TV for a second, or be miles in the distance looking at me; I felt part of the world and sucked into the narrative. I think we would both agree that everyone absorbs media differently. But some of the natural encounters you experience in DayZ, you just couldn't script realistically in a single player controlled story, (player might miss that scripted gunshot in the distance) and some of my encounters wouldn't look out of place in a film script. A lot of the encounters I've had have not been "bang bang" "haha" "shot you in the street" "runs way", I'd bore you with the stories but like the dev said and Chaos said in an early post, it's the survivors stories that are generating the interest and the buzz. There are better games for deathmatch and zombie animation, so there is more to this than just that, otherwise people wouldn't bother to buy... eww Arma2 :S
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Beyond frustration, this experience has gained you nothing. Interacting with others is dangerous anyway around and still yields nothing. You argue that people can take it further, like the dude who set up a hospital. Well lets look at that:
He set up a hospital? No, he gathered some supplies, took them to a town, got two mates to guard him then made his big announcement to chat about where he was and what he offered.
Then he stood there...

...?

Anyone who needed help that badly would a) not be able to get to him and b) be unlikely to trust him (sure know I wouldn't). So he will have stood there and done nothing. Not like he had other stuff to do while he waited. Snacked? Zeroed his sights? I dunno.
Well you seem to have missed the bigger picture there. If this was a real world scenario, and someone who wasn't a murderer wanted to help people in the day end of days etc; someone would do this. He setup a field hospital, and you forget that blood transfusions requires another person, thus you have a doctor. The supplies won't last so that adds gameplay as eventually they will have to leave to go resource new supplies. Imagine the tension with each patient, the distrust, maybe they get attached by bandits, maybe a survivor gets big headed and tries to take over, and then gets killed by the bodyguards... who knows?! that's what is enjoyable about the experience, the chaos theory, the chance, the roll of the dice.. maybe no one EVER turns up and he sits there alone for the rest of his life, if it is feasible in the real world, it should be somewhat feasible in a simulator. (This is why he wont add a bladder and colon meter on the Hud :wink: some levels of realism are just silly).

[SpA]Howard wrote:

Anyway, before you just return your usual volley of "WELL I LIKE IT!!!!oneone", let me say this: I want what this game claims to offer. My issue is that it does not offer it and your frothing, love-struck diatribes do nothing to appease me.
See when you negate my argument and simplify my response to just that, that's when I a) feel like you are being condescending and b) negativily reacting because you haven't got the experience you want right away.
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Games need purpose or they need depth and this has neither. Were there a creator-set goal I could aim for then fine. Where there so many mechanics and layers of detail here that I could entertain myself then great.
I disagree with that statement. Games just need to be entertaining (other wise we would just deinstall or put down the control pad). Purpose and depth isn't relevant as there are MANY video games out there which have neither but are enjoyed by millions and are still brilliantly designed.

Rules in video games are important, consistency is important, but in regards to art and creativity? Rules are made to be broken and explored, otherwise we stagnate. Our common expectations as an audience need to be tested and pushed otherwise how can we hope to progress?! You must agree to that? With all the action indie developers have been getting, especially with the mobile platform; it's all prove to the idea that sometimes, you need to do the opposite to what people expect. Good video game designer's work off biases which have formed over the history of video games; but it's an art form, dev's should experiment and be encouraged too. So far the mod DOES have objectives; sure they are not the most complicated or story driven ones, but there are things to do currently, hopefully they will add more things to interact with! (I WANT RED DEAD COUGARS IN THE WILD MUHAHAHAH) But I remember how boring Dead Island was and that had hundreds of missions and side quests; even with all that "depth" and "purpose" it still wasn't as interesting an experience as DayZ as a broken mod currently.

[SpA]Howard wrote:

But each time I start on that beach, the only decision I have is "do I kill in this life?". After that, its a perfunctory and flatly easy task to get kitted up. Just started on the beach at 9am today - by 10 am I was outside Berezno with a good handgun, a Winchester (through choice - the AKs are so badly modelled they are no use), full kit (knife, matches, map, compass, watch, wood) 5 tins of food, 3 canteens of water and enough bandages and injectors to survive anything bar a game fuckup. 99% of that hour was spent jogging across ugly countryside with a stupid HDR sun bobbing and weaving on the horizon. Once I arrived at Berezino, I sat outside the town. I had no reason to go in, I knew that half of the guys on the server were bandits and that the rest were new guys on the beach who did not trust me (rightly so). One of the main things that is missing is a way to protect yourself. You cannot stockpile anything bar what you can carry and you cannot improve your protection with armour (this may come but I dread to think how he will implement it).
Granted, there are still hundreds of features and interactions, costs and requirements left to go in. It's just a matter of time, I know it sucks it's not finished now and it's the full game we both want. But it's got so much promise.

You can stockpile stuff in tents atm; hopefully they will allow safehouses in future (like youu can find a padlock to seal up a small house and store items/pets etc in there)

What else would you like to do? Sky's the limit really. It's not the sort of game you can wedge a story into as after repeated play the story wont change and that will get dull. The openness and ambiguity of the concept that offers many options or "classes" that people can follow; be it murderer, hermit, survivor, zombie killing nutter, doctor, supplier, or arms dealer; and this will only increase with the more interaction and features that will be added over time. Point is Howard "what am I supposed to do?"; answer is simple, do what you want (it's limited atm for now) but essentially once "complete" who knows how much you will be able to do. We often get stocked up, and seeing as currently can't be bothered to setup a camp just now, we will go explore some dangerous locations or go find our noob friend who is lost etc, they are not the deepest of objectives, but it's something we find to do, and you can imagine a simple thing like that could escalate and the journey will tell a story and provide gameplay in it's own right. "What's next?" Who knows? I wait with keen anticipation.

[SpA]Howard wrote:

And that is the crux of this. He has the start of something here, the very tip of an idea. What I object to, and what makes me post here, is seeing people hammer on about the perfection that is before us. You want me to BELIEVE in this world, this cronky, badly drawn world with its ludicrous physics, teleporting zombies and horrible lighting. You want me to care for my avatar, a man who shits himself like a little girl when a zombie gets too close, a man who can starve to death in under 2 hours and die of thirst in half that time. You want me to believe in systems that insist I have to carry wood to make fires but that I cannot get wood from trees and that bones can be fused together with a magic glue called morphine. You want me to believe in the finality and brutality of a world where my only punishment for dying is a long walk through familiar territory. I want to believe in this place too, in this Chernarus. I want to be fascinated by what went on here, I want to feel like a survivor or an explorer in an unknown land, filled with monsters. I want to make it matter to me, to leave my mark but every single system, every single item, every single thing in this whole game is flawed so much that I cannot take it seriously for laughing and pointing. I want to take it seriously. I want it to matter. But I cannot. Nothing I do matters. If I die, the counters go back to zero and I wait 3 minutes for the shotgun to respawn. I'm away now. I have logged my guy off, lying in the sun outside Berezno. Its likely he will stay there.
Yeah sure, I totally appreciate what you are getting at. Don't assume from what I've written that I don't object to the technical problems, graphical bugs, wobbly mechanics and the engine lacking in a lot of areas. But I guess for me it's not my focus right now, I hope those problems are addressed, and you know they will be in time. When I say it's perfect, I am referring to what you said which is the concept, and as I said above, I like the challenge, the vulnerability, because it's realistic to how a human in the context of the scenario in the game, would conform too.

You forget Howard, that you don't even get a Can Opener in this game! (fuck i hope he doesnt add that... THEY ARE RING PULL CANS! phew :mrgreen: ) That example, just illustrates that realism has it's place in video games when it benefits the experience. Like my morphine example I made earlier. From what I gather though, your immersion is being broken by the bugs, incomplete & partial features and technical issues. From the last paragraph, I know you want the same things; let's just hope he gets more support and the mod (and all the shitty arma bugs) are resolved as soon as humanly possible.

gb 
PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 19:32 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Gah. See, now I'm just getting annoyed with myself. I am writing long, occasionally aggressive, lectures and yet I am still not getting my core point across but am instead causing side arguments that derail us.
Last try then I will stfu:

My issue with this game being praised for its immersion and open-ended play is that I have felt them. I have been just as wrapped up in this as you have.
But - and it’s a big BUT - every single time I have felt that twinge of "fuck me, this is good", I have immediately been murdered, utterly fucking me off and completely overwriting any good feelings with unbounded rage. I can hear everyone's reaction to that sentence. That I am being all "care bear" like again and that I am not up for the challenge of this games realism. But this is the thing: not one of my deaths has been due to me.
I have been skagged by everything from lag to retarded inventories but most of all I have been skagged because this game is doing something unutterably stupid: it is trying to be realistic.
Making a game, particularly a FPS that is "hardcore" and "realistic" is largely easy. Its just math and ergonomics - both sciences that are eminently suitable to computers. The issue comes when we go to far.
When you are sat in from of a monitor, your hands on a keyboard, trying to make you avatar puppet dance, I would estimate that 95%+ of "you" is not being represented in the game.
I have excellent vision - beyond excellent vision. I can read number plates at over 100 meters and know my number bus is coming before anyone else even knows there is a bus. I can see vsync at work on a monitor and I know when frames are skipped or frame rates are dipping. I can read in my peripheral vision and have a viewing arc in excess of 200 degrees.
I see the world really fucking clearly.
To be told that I got killed in a "realistic, FPS simulation" because something snuck up on me without me seeing it is an affront. My hearing is also superb and my coordination excellent. No fucker is sneaking up on me. It just is not gonna happen.
And this is the issue. I am better than the tit on the screen - I just am. Rocket (and the ARMA team) adding in all this realism then making me a short-sighted, blurry visioned, one-eyed coward with an ear infection is infuriating in the god damn extreme. I need a HUGE field of visions. I need detail to the god damned horizon and if my club-footed pillock of an avatar sounds, on my screen, like he is wearing some insane combination of diving boots and tap shoes, then I want EVERYONE in them.
Does this make sense? Can you see why I would be so, so, SO frustrated with this? Bugs be damned, the times I have been shot (Oh, I am a damned good shot in real life too - largely because I am not blind, don't have hands made of super-glue coated rubber an also have shoulders that work) simply would not have happened to ME so I cannot believe in them.
If this game wants to be a sim, it needs to be a SIM. I want my body to work how my body does, my hands to be as steady as my hands are and I damn well want to be able to punch a zombie square in the kisser if that little bitch gets too close.

I am not really arguing that it is not realistic - it is, just not for my reality, and unless I can make it more similar to my reality, I will just be constantly frustrated.

Games are not immersive. Not really. We still have bad displays, idiotic control methods and clunky interfaces and that can be fine as long we compensate. Thing is, as soon as someone says the word "sim" or "realistic" a set of things happen. HUDs vanish, view angle options disappear, crosshairs are removed and ridiculous limitations are put on how we move. But, as we cannot interact with this sim in a realistic way, everything falls apart. Until the day we have full immersion neural-netting, I want markers and HUDs and crosshairs and menus and everything else that makes the translation from sim to reality a feasible thing.

(For reference and apropos of nothing at all, I think we have very different tastes in gaming at a fundamental level. L4D2 is one of the worst games I have ever played and Amnesia is close behind. I’ve never laughed and pointed so much at a game as that “horror” idiocy. Clearly we have different needs.)

Right - giving up now. Got about 2 weeks without games so off to sulk. It’s been great debating this with you though. Sorry if I've been a twat :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 19:39 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Must be based on Howard :lol:

gb 
PostPosted: 23 May 2012, 19:53 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Must be based on Howard :lol:
Damn right! :ugly: :mrgreen:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next