Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:05

All times are UTC+02:00

pt 
 Post subject: Re: SMP is dying.
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012, 10:12 
Doesn't get out much (316)
Pizzaman194 wrote:
I agree with both of you, but I just wanted to add that we should not be trying to make Bedlam any easier unless It completely scares people off the server.

Like I told adog, the goal is to get players that we want: That play in Homestead, play by the rules, and contribute to us as a community.
Hm.. I see your point and i agree with it, the whole point of getting things improved and fixed is not only for our own good ( by that I mean, we being able to play better ) but to also attract more people into our server , the type of people that would stick around if the server is adequate for their needs ..

One of the improvements i though of implementing on Bedlam, though i'm not completely sure if its good or not, would be to shorten the size of the world of Bedlam .. and the spawn would be located in the center of this world so that it wouldn't seem like the world is small or anything. As I said , im not sure this is a good idea or not and that is why im just posting here to get feedback on wether it is or not .. So in my thoughts this would benefit to our server, and this because people would most probably begin to see that this world isn't that big and that there's yet another world ( Hub ) which is full of things to be found ( as i wrote this i suddenly thought of the option of somehow advertising the Hub world in Bedlam, something saying like : Register now and get access to our main world , enjoy the full capability of our server just by registering on our forums, other than that , play safe and nicely and have fun. .. ) .. yet again i do not know if this is somehow good or not, im basically just throwing out ideas that pop out of my mind atm :p ..
Those that would follow the advertisement , would be our beneficial players, that is, the ones that actually play nicely and all
Those that would not , would most certainly be griefers or players that are just having fun for the sake of having fun .. also, if those players that are just wandering around bedlam would want to join the hub and be registered and all that, they still could as they could before and can whenever they want.. ( a little bit or derp there right ? :ugly: )
I think that Howard already said something like this, and i do agree, that the fact is that the two worlds exist to somehow separate the players we trust and hopefully play well from those which are yet to be trusted and are considered just ''wanderers'' or griefers.

Ok, if i come up with more things I'll make sure to post it here, but as it is now I would like to know wether my ideas were bad or good , till what point was it a good idea or not and ye all that you can explain would be good so that i can somehow '' improve '' my ideas and improve the ideas that i might come up with. ( of course the explanations would not only benefit on my improvement of thinking but also the thinking of others that might or have already posted here :p ) Cheers!

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012, 11:02 
Has no REAL life! (1620)
Pizzaman194 wrote:
I see your humor, but what the hell! Really?

I'm trying to save the community from dying and you post that...come on. This is serious.
Yes, because in no particular order.

This community was around a long time before minecraft and will be here after it and I dare-say that a lot of the people brought here by minecraft will stay too
Its a game if it "dies" it will "die" because there is not a community to play it therefore short of press-ganging people to play it nothing will help
Special Attack has a proud and long history of derailing threads for no reason at all I had reasons enough for this one
Real people die games merely wither then become nostalgia

Finally: You're being overly melodramatic it is not serious and to "save" something there must be some threat of peril, there isn't one. This whole thing is so far from serious that my little duck story was about the most sane thing in here.

If you wan't to help then find away of helping; ask the people who run things if you can help in anyway, this alarmist and impotent bile you've brought forth to the forums isn't going to "save" anything its just an exercise in self important ego masturbation.

If you still feel the need to save something, my house mate used to work with Aids victims in Africa, I worked with child prostitutes and landmine victims in Asia we can give you numbers and references? It might be good to take the histrionics to somewhere where they seem a little less out of place.

Its just a game

This message was brought to you by the "Functioning sense of proportion foundation"

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2012, 13:08 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]cardboard wrote:
Pizzaman194 wrote:
I see your humor, but what the hell! Really?

I'm trying to save the community from dying and you post that...come on. This is serious.
Yes, because in no particular order.

This community was around a long time before minecraft and will be here after it and I dare-say that a lot of the people brought here by minecraft will stay too
Its a game if it "dies" it will "die" because there is not a community to play it therefore short of press-ganging people to play it nothing will help
Special Attack has a proud and long history of derailing threads for no reason at all I had reasons enough for this one
Real people die games merely wither then become nostalgia

Finally: You're being overly melodramatic it is not serious and to "save" something there must be some threat of peril, there isn't one. This whole thing is so far from serious that my little duck story was about the most sane thing in here.

If you wan't to help then find away of helping; ask the people who run things if you can help in anyway, this alarmist and impotent bile you've brought forth to the forums isn't going to "save" anything its just an exercise in self important ego masturbation.

If you still feel the need to save something, my house mate used to work with Aids victims in Africa, I worked with child prostitutes and landmine victims in Asia we can give you numbers and references? It might be good to take the histrionics to somewhere where they seem a little less out of place.

Its just a game

This message was brought to you by the "Functioning sense of proportion foundation"

Yeah - that's just not helpful. Prevaricating over semantics and lectures over perspective are just a failed concept that this forum never grasped though it insists on flailing at it like a drunken blind man in a cheap brothel.

No one is arguing it is more than a game but it is a game that has given birth to a large community and it is a game a lot of us have invested a great deal of time and effort in, me most of all, and we would rather not see all that work put to waste. Can we keep this kind of silliness to the SpA Members forum where it will be far more at home and where you will piss off a lot less people? SMP/MC/FB is still very much alive and well and is played by more people than most other games out there. Our server just needs a new paint job and for people to re-engage.

Can we keep this on topic please? Take the patronisation and derailments elsewhere...

us 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 03:29 
Likes to type... (229)
(No need for a massive chain quote)

I must admit, I may have overreacted a tad.

But Howard was spot on in explaining my situation. Surely the Minecraft (not SpA as a whole) community is not near death, but it is getting dangerously close.
There was no room for jokes and you knew it, Oh, and I did ask somebody in charge:
Quote:
This is to Howard:
This little ordeal is rediculous, but I'm willing to forgive you.

us 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 08:27 
Pretty useless (78)
- The Freebuild is getting more popular as the Smp server is falling ._. We could take advantage of the Freebuild server like I said :) Some of the people do have bought accounts there ._.
- 1.3 Is taking one hell of a time to update and I dont think that itll be here for at least 2 more weeks ._. so might be able to add some stuff before 1.3
- ADVERTISING THE SERVER < That's how you get people on the server ._. People aren't gonna randomly type in smp.specialattack.net and get to our server you know (I could try to do that but I'd probally fail ._.)
-Making it a bit easier on the guests, since bedlam is a hell hole if you ask me or like a hundred other people ._.
._.

[Halexboom8] ^^Cat likes those things.

us 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 09:25 
Pretty useless (78)
._. You got to be kidding me
So I go on Google and type in "Minecraft Servers"
And I go through like 5 and searched "Special Attack"
and all of them say there's nothing
We need to fix that and spread the word
about the server and to get people to support
the posts about our server
Which isn't that hard to support the server
you click "like" and you post a comment saying
"awesome server" which shouldn't take even 5 minutes
._.
P.s so if this is screwed up I'm typing on my iPod

[Halexboom8] ^^Cat likes those things.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 12:24 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Pizzaman194 wrote:
There was no room for jokes and you knew it, Oh, and I did ask somebody in charge:
Quote:
This is to Howard:
I'm... confused. What now? :?

pt 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 13:21 
RoyalDestineer wrote:
Ok, if i come up with more things I'll make sure to post it here, but as it is now I would like to know wether my ideas were bad or good , till what point was it a good idea or not and ye all that you can explain would be good so that i can somehow '' improve '' my ideas and improve the ideas that i might come up with.
I would appreciate if someone could take the time to read the reply I posted so that i could as i say above in the quotation, ''improve the ideas i might come up with'' .. thanks.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 16:50 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
Right before we go on about other things that are so wrong with the server why don't we switch the spawns right now and get started, otherwise it will be a long time and it will be a lot of changes at once so why not gradually just ease some changes into the server, so why not start with moving the spawn.

us 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 19:48 
Likes to type... (229)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Pizzaman194 wrote:

I'm... confused. What now? :?
Not you :). It was a quote from my post. you didn't do anything wrong :D
ells551 wrote:
Right before we go on about other things that are so wrong with the server why don't we switch the spawns right now and get started, otherwise it will be a long time and it will be a lot of changes at once so why not gradually just ease some changes into the server, so why not start with moving the spawn.
We will have to start from scratch for 1.3 anyways, so why do anything now? But yes, we need to actually make a conensus on some issues, like, whether or not we should even keep bedlam, what to do with guests, etc...

I'm glad this whole thing has sparked a lot of discussion, but we need to be organized if we want to end up with some sort of outcome.
RoyalDestineer wrote:
RoyalDestineer wrote:
Ok, if i come up with more things I'll make sure to post it here, but as it is now I would like to know wether my ideas were bad or good , till what point was it a good idea or not and ye all that you can explain would be good so that i can somehow '' improve '' my ideas and improve the ideas that i might come up with.
I would appreciate if someone could take the time to read the reply I posted so that i could as i say above in the quotation, ''improve the ideas i might come up with'' .. thanks.
I agree with the Bedlam world size, it is massive compared to the number of players that are in it. Bedlam is 4000x4000 while the actual homestead area (not themed zones) is half that size (2000x4000). This is probably a little thing we can all agree with.
Well, right now we're limiting our ideas to Bedlam or anything else that changes how the server runs. If you think you have some good ideas about some of these things, please do share! Once we get the server up and running on the new system, we'll be open to all ideas.

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 11:36 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Why is Bedlam being big an issue? It has to be be big or griefing would be insane as you would be tripping over builds. Moreover, the Guests outnumber those in Homestead by about 5:1 on any given day.

As to "making the change and moving the spawn": its not that simple. Setting that up is a solid days work (likely more) for someone and as that someone is likely to be me and I am not exactly inclined to just step back into this role without discussion, then its not gonna happen immediately.

Last thing: I keep hearing that "1.3 will require a new server". Why exactly?

de 
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 12:15 
Crap at posting (47)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
I don't follow this part either.

Though I can understand it, because of new world generate things.
There will be changes in the biomes etc.
(especially in jungle biomes)

But I don't see why you should build a new map for it.
You can expand the old map with a piece of new map generated area. (although we get massive chunck errors out of that)
And I dont know if the server owners want HUB to be expanded.
Though it would give us some new space to build and mine.

us 
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 22:49 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
Our current map was spawned in 1.0 and some people want to see jungles, if we did start from scratch again, this would be possible. The problem is that not many people want to start over in such a short amount of time.

Would it be possible to restart bedlam from scratch and keep HUB in its current state? I don't think it would require more than a couple hours of work to get spawn prepared as well as the nether portal.

The idea of portals for certain people, maybe there could be a price for settlement owners to have one built, and have a price for each use.

On my idea for the survival games, a bunch of people have an interest in this. Minecraftsurvivalgames.com has tons of servers full at any given time, and we could tweet about us having it on our server. Someone coded a plugin for it and they say it'll work with our server with little to no bugs. I know there are some people who don't want anything to do with it but the majority of people I talk to say they'll play on the server if it has survival games. The interest in it is too large for you to ignore any longer. It will give the server the interest it needs.

Feel free tell me where I am wrong, these are just suggestions from my point of view. The server is running great, but people have just lost interest in survival multiplayer, Minecraft in general.

I believe that once 1.3 comes out people will start to pick up interest in Minecraft once again, but until then it will more than likely stay the way it is.

Last edited by [SpA]AwesomeFriends on 04 Jun 2012, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

be 
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 22:52 
Has no REAL life! (1087)
awesomefriends56 wrote:
Our current map was spawned in 1.0 and some people want to see jungles, if we did start from scratch again, this would be possible. The problem is that not many people want to start over in such a short amount of time.

Would it be possible to restart bedlam from scratch and keep HUB in its current state? I dOn't think it would require more than a couple hours of work to get spawn prepared as well as the nether portal.

The idea of portals for certain people, maybe there could be a price for settlement owners to have one built, and have a price for each use.

On my idea for the survival games, a bunch of people have an interest in this. Minecraftsurvivalgames.com has tons of servers full at any given time, and we could tweet about us having it on our server. Someone coded a plugin for it and they say it'll work with our server with little to no bugs. I know there are some people who don't want anything to do with it but the majority of people I talk to say they'll play on the server if it has survival games. The interest in it is too large for you to ignore any longer. It will give the server the interest it needs.

Feel free tell me where I am wrong, these are just suggestions from my point of view. The server is running great, but people have just lost interest in survival multiplayer, Minecraft in general.

I believe that once 1.3 comes out people will start to pick up interest in Minecraft once again, but until then it will more than likely stay the way it is.
Bedlam is a 1.2 map, just so you know

us 
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 23:57 
Geek (839)
Here is always an option.

fi 
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 00:04 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Arbogeddon wrote:
While a Hunger Games themed tournamentish thingy might get us more attention, it's still not certain. As someone previously mentioned, we should advertise our server(s, both SMP and FB - hell, for all the games we happen to be providing). You don't sell a product if no-one knows about it.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 00:32 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Advertising and adding gimmicks fixes nothing. You lot need to decide how the basics of this server function.

And yes, as Held says - Bedlam is brand new and has jungle biomes. Glad to see that was worth the 38 hours it took to organise.

us 
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 00:33 
Geek (839)
If we have the hunger games, we can easily advertise that 85 would bring in great attention. Let's try it, if it doesn't work, we can easily remove it.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 01:10 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Advertising and adding gimmicks fixes nothing. You lot need to decide how the basics of this server function.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 23:01 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
Arbogeddon wrote:
If we have the hunger games, we can easily advertise that 85 would bring in great attention. Let's try it, if it doesn't work, we can easily remove it.
arb adding things is useless if the server is broken as a hole think of it this way if the earth under a road has sunk and the road has now got a pot hole so you just add more tar ??? no of course not you dig up the road and sort out the whole so nothing more happens if this is completely useless to you then fine it probably will be for most people :ugly: :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 09:16 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Ok they only ting agreed (well not really but let's use that word) is the need for the Server's spawn to be moved to Bedlam. This can be done but as it will probably have to be me doing it it will have to wait.

In the meantime, everyone who wants to play on this server will need to put their efforts into rethinking the basic working of this server. Stop rattling on about adding things, about having Hunger Games and about having a new server. It is just not helpful. Concentrate on the core ideas:
- Residence: do you want it? How should it work?
- Bedlam: should it still be the free for all it is now? How else should it work? What permissions will guests get?
- Teleporting/travel. Both Bedlam and Hub still need better ways of traversing them. DO you want to go as far as having something like Babel back? Reduced cool-down on /home or /spawn? You want a smaller teleport network? Where will they be and why? Should the commands (home/spawn etc) be timer based or chargeable? Both?
- What will be used as the new Spawn in Bedlam? Spawn City is staying in Hub and can be expanded with more facilities (Citizens has been back for months as I told everyone but no one bothered to put it back in)
- Do you still want the AcceptRules plugin? If so, does it happen in Bedlam or Hub? If not, how else will you control/educate the new guys?
- Economy - tied into the Residence issues: what is it for? Is it doing its job? is earning money to pay rent to protect your stuff fun? Do you want other things to spend the money on? If so what?
- Theme Zones - are they DOA or still worthy trying? If they are worth trying then decide exactly how they work.

And that is just the stuff I though of in 5 minutes before I had my breakfast. :lol: No one is going to decide this for you. I tried that and all I got was a migraine. The people who use this server need to say what they want, what kind of experience they want. Think of it from all angles; as a player and as an OP. What do you want to do, what rules should there be, how would you police those rules as Admin. Post ideas here or start new threads - I don't care - but you have to get this done or SMP will be over. :18

au 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 10:39 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
the Server's spawn to be moved to Bedlam. This can be done but as it will probably have to be me doing it it will have to wait.
If someone has the setspawn permission and worldEdit they could do this. (Supop+ already have accept rules admin)

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 11:03 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
mbl111 wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:
the Server's spawn to be moved to Bedlam. This can be done but as it will probably have to be me doing it it will have to wait.
If someone has the setspawn permission and worldEdit they could do this. (Supop+ already have accept rules admin)
No they can't

pt 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 11:38 
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Ok they only ting agreed (well not really but let's use that word) is the need for the Server's spawn to be moved to Bedlam. This can be done but as it will probably have to be me doing it it will have to wait.

In the meantime, everyone who wants to play on this server will need to put their efforts into rethinking the basic working of this server. Stop rattling on about adding things, about having Hunger Games and about having a new server. It is just not helpful. Concentrate on the core ideas:
- Residence: do you want it? How should it work?
- Bedlam: should it still be the free for all it is now? How else should it work? What permissions will guests get?
- Teleporting/travel. Both Bedlam and Hub still need better ways of traversing them. DO you want to go as far as having something like Babel back? Reduced cool-down on /home or /spawn? You want a smaller teleport network? Where will they be and why? Should the commands (home/spawn etc) be timer based or chargeable? Both?
- What will be used as the new Spawn in Bedlam? Spawn City is staying in Hub and can be expanded with more facilities (Citizens has been back for months as I told everyone but no one bothered to put it back in)
- Do you still want the AcceptRules plugin? If so, does it happen in Bedlam or Hub? If not, how else will you control/educate the new guys?
- Economy - tied into the Residence issues: what is it for? Is it doing its job? is earning money to pay rent to protect your stuff fun? Do you want other things to spend the money on? If so what?
- Theme Zones - are they DOA or still worthy trying? If they are worth trying then decide exactly how they work.
And that is just the stuff I though of in 5 minutes before I had my breakfast. :lol: No one is going to decide this for you. I tried that and all I got was a migraine. The people who use this server need to say what they want, what kind of experience they want. Think of it from all angles; as a player and as an OP. What do you want to do, what rules should there be, how would you police those rules as Admin. Post ideas here or start new threads - I don't care - but you have to get this done or SMP will be over. :18
So let's begin the the whole talk about the server shall we.. Indeed we shouldn't be rambling about adding things but rather concentrate on the core and fixing the core first.

--Residence: As it is now I have nothing to object it, this is, people which are above Registered and Registered itself can make residences, but i kind of remember this one thing we used to have on the residences, this is, for each rank we would have a certain amount of space available ( if i'm being understood ), of course if people would want to build something big which is not in the amount of space available for them to res then they should apply for the build they are about to do and then some admin would res the area and he could build then .. It's somewhat that .. Oh and for builds that are ''admin'' related, well these ones we wouldn't need any kind of permission or anything ( i'm talking about things such as AdminValley, Leo's market, and others which i cant remember now ) .. So to put it simply, Yes I personally do want to keep residences BUT they should work in relation to the rank each person has, ans if there are troubles concerning the amount of space available they can ask an admin if they can res it for them and then put it on their name ( so that they are the ones paying it and not the admin itself ) or he could apply for a larger space in the forums.. This, I personally think, would benefit in a more organized and a more controlled smp :)

--Bedlam: Bedlam.. well.. this will be discussed for ever and ever but oh well, i'll try and state out some of my ideas before you people kill me with your answers :p .. So, for me Bedlam should definitively be a '' free zone '' or whatever you might want to call it, It provides a certain kind of freedom that we dont have in Hub and also a kind of evilness and that i cant deny, I know people might arguably say that people in bedlam often times get griefed or robbed or killed or whatever.. I sometimes think if those people read the rules and accept them why cant they read the signs that say specifically that bedlam is pvp, grief is allowed and there are no such things as protections .. oh well, but im not the person to be judging the stupidity of those .. How it should work ? Hm.. well, i think (at least atm) that Bedlam should work as a place that if you want to get rid of the rules that are in Hub, you should go to Bedlam, I think that if you want pvp and such outside of Hub you should go to Bedlam and fight it out :p .. In Bedlam we wont have things such as residences, or lock chest abillity or things like that because in the end they would only cause trouble as we saw in the previous posts in which we discussed this .. Well, my head hurts just thinking of bedlam so im going to leave this kinda open because i cant really say much more then i said before ..

--Teleporting/travel .. I do not want to have something like babel back, ofc it was very useful and such , and ofc i really liked it but i think that we dont need babel back. I know what im about to say might not be everyone's opinion but here i go, i think that the reduced cool down on /home or /spawn might not be such a bad idea although i also think that people would without doubt abuse this and be constantly teleporting .. which is why i cant be sure on whether reduced cooldown is a good thing or not .. I still think that these commands ( /home and /spawn ) should be time based but i cant really say i deny a chargeable function since i dont really know how we would recharge it, if someone could state out a potentially good way to charge then yes I wouldnt mind having chargeable and time based /home and /spawn .. Well, the teleport network, as it is now we have the boats which are scattered around the world, it is somewhat good , but ofc we can have more boats to other places .. When you say smaller teleport network , you mean less ''portals''/boats or a smaller place where the portals/boats are located ? .. I dont know if youre trying to say a more centered teleport network by saying '' a smaller teleport network '' ..

--The new Spawn in Bedlam i really do not have the slightest idea on what it can be or which spawn will be used .. At the moment i really cant find something in my mind to answer this :p

--The accept rules plugin.. well i do want it to stay as it is but i also want something else with it, although this might be hard as hell or even impossible, which is having an Op guiding that person till Bedlam and on the way explaining some things he can and cannot do ( such as applying for registered on the forums, building res is only on Hub, such and such ).. Well it would be in Bedlam since we're ( or atleast as you said '' is the need for the Server's spawn to be moved to Bedlam '' ) going to have the spawn there :p but if we didnt have the spawn in bedlam then we would have that Op guiding him ( the player ) to bedlam while explaining some things, ofc we can also have an Op helping out a player even if it is in Bedlam .. As i was thinking of these things i remembered the old spawn we used to have, Iron city, in which we had a sign board full of rules and such, that wouldnt be that bad of an idea, although not every will see it at least some will :p ..

--Economy.. which is pretty much dead ( in terms of the stalls ), and dont go saying that this or that player stills uses it frequently because that would be a small number against the whole lot of players on the server .. I personally only used economy plugin sometimes but the result, well wasnt anything i didnt expect, meaning that it didnt work at all, no one used my stalls or anything .. what i think we could have is a main market for everything and everyone.. although this might sound stupid as ever it would somehow be a huge thing. having a portal/boat to there would also benefit very much.. having this main market for every player would be awesome to happen, but the problem is that this accomplishment will without a doubt not be done for many reasons which if you want can state although i already have some in mind :p .. Earning money through killing mobs is without a doubt fun and can always be a pain in the ass but thats how it is supposed to be, to get money to pay your rent you will need money, to get money you will need either kill mobs or sell things to other players , this is a good system at least in my opinion :p .. I wouldnt, probably, mind having other things to spend the money on but atm i dont know any other thing we could have so ye .. The Economy plugin is somewhat doing its job :p :ugly:

--Theme zones.. well i think we could have them if they were organized and well explained to other players on how they exactly work, I dont know if we have a post for the theme zones but if we do then that is what we would show to someone who wanted a theme zone .. Players would have to explain thoroughly why they want this theme zone, why it would benefit the server and others ...

Now let me eat my breakfast! :evil: ... And so I announce:
Let the rage against me be set free :ugly: ( for now only please :p haha )

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 13:28 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Read it once, Royal but I need to read it again. Thanks for taking the time to reply so thoroughly.

I really need people to understand that there should be no rage from anyone. This server needs to be how the players want it so no one can tell anyone else they are wrong, at least without explaining themselves and their reasoning.

All ideas are welcome from anybody.

us 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 20:55 
Likes to type... (229)
(no massive chain quotes)
@Royal, Very nice post, I agree with just about everything you said.

About acceptrules though, instead of a "guide" there should be a tutorial area that you must go through, then they are prompted to use /acceptrules.
Like I said before (probably at least twice elsewhere), the tutorial area should be informative about how the server runs. It should touch on the differences between Bedlam and Homestead, how to register, permissions for guests, and everything else that a guest needs to know.

For the Economy, you are pretty much saying to bring Leo's market back. I agree, there needs to be an efficient and well controlled market area this time. All of the shops need to be in one place (can permissions be set for shops for just an area? Or world-wide only?) On the last map there was massive deflation (and inflation at the same time) so people were paying tons for items or paying pennies. The Admin shops need to be move there and with revised prices to prevent high or low prices. For example. A diamond at leo's castle can be purchased for 4000 and sold for 200. This means that no player won't (or at least shouldn't) sell diamonds for less than 200, or buy diamonds for others for more than 4000 because the player can just buy/sell from the Admin shops.

--

@Howard, everything is fine except for Bedlam (which I don't have that much of an opinion on, as long as we get more people in Homestead) and Transportation. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, we just need to add more "boats". We don't need Babel back, that would be overkill. Adding more boats and decreasing the cooldown for /home will bring more people together. As of now, everybody is so isolated from each other, not wanting to travel anywhere because it would be such a journey (or they're stuck at someone's house for 15 minutes).

This is where the boats are right now (spawn and leo's castle do count)
With this map, this is what I reccomend (this is ~750 blocks apart from each other, not including the ocean)
I have come up with this rule: it should not take more than 5 minutes to get anywhere (excluding /home)
From any given place in the map, you are about a few minutes away from any boat (unless you are in the middle of the ocean of course)

pt 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 21:47 
@Howard Thanks it was my pleasure writing this since this is about a server, a game in which we all play.. so we should at least try to improve it to best fit our enjoyment and others.. About the rage, i was simply joking but also talking a bit seriously since there are always people which disagree with what one says, and that is not bad at all , and here its less bad even... its even appreciated .. basically what we need right now is opinions and people who judge those opinions with constructive criticism .. ok enough rambling, thanks ! :)

@Pizza Thanks, its good that you do like the post since i did spend some time on it :p
So about the accept rules, i do agree with what you're stating but the only problem is finding the perfect location for that ''tutorial area'' , but i still do think that it wouldnt be much of a bother having an Op there, just to make sure things are going correctly and if there are any further questions he can answer. What we need to think is this : '' If i was the one entering the server for the first time what would i like to see and what would i like others ( people around me, meaning the Op's ) to do ? '' .. well i thought of this and have my opinions .. which i might later on state if someone wants :p
The Economy, well im not sure about the permissions but i think it can be world-wide :p .. basically if that was possible and at the same time have the well controlled and efficient factors then it would be great.

Other than that, the boats idea i kind of do like it but we need to see if others think the same.. about the cooldown , if we have more boats which are placed in spots in which we couldnt access easily then now there is no need for a decrease in the cool down of /home and /spawn , unless you are still bothered by the amount of time :p

us 
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2012, 05:53 
Likes to type... (229)
The tutorial area can be anywhere. It doesn't have to be at the spawn because It could just be completely isolated from everything else. The tutorial area could overlook the spawn or something, a specific plan needs to be created soon though.

We ops already have to explain to every new people that comes in the server because there isn't much information at spawn. It shouldn't be our job to type out directions 50 times a day when It can only be typed once and every person that joins would get the message. A tutorial area would be a lot more interesting than just an op typing in chat. I would make the tutorial area fun, interesting, and reflect the server accurately.

I'm willing to create it myself (as long as I get permission) because I strongly believe information is what our players want.
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Why is Bedlam being big an issue? It has to be be big or griefing would be insane as you would be tripping over builds. Moreover, the Guests outnumber those in Homestead by about 5:1 on any given day.

As to "making the change and moving the spawn": its not that simple. Setting that up is a solid days work (likely more) for someone and as that someone is likely to be me and I am not exactly inclined to just step back into this role without discussion, then its not gonna happen immediately.

We need to start over for 1.3 because people are bored of playing. This world has been going for 6 months now and people want to start over with fresh land and such. If we start over, this will give us a chance to implement anything we want.

I understand your concerns though. We (you :( )would have to copy the themed zone area, other builds, generate two new worlds, paste the spawn and everything. It'd be some work but I believe it's neccessary. People who haven't gotten that many diamonds don't want to lose their items though. We could offer a free stack of iron ingots to people that post in certain thread before the server launch to help our current players start over.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2012, 08:57 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Pizzaman194 wrote:
The tutorial area can be anywhere. It doesn't have to be at the spawn because It could just be completely isolated from everything else. The tutorial area could overlook the spawn or something, a specific plan needs to be created soon though.

We ops already have to explain to every new people that comes in the server because there isn't much information at spawn. It shouldn't be our job to type out directions 50 times a day when It can only be typed once and every person that joins would get the message. A tutorial area would be a lot more interesting than just an op typing in chat. I would make the tutorial area fun, interesting, and reflect the server accurately.

I'm willing to create it myself (as long as I get permission) because I strongly believe information is what our players want.
So even through people are not willing to read 10 words on a sign followed by 5 lines of rules, you think they will walk about for half an hour doing a tutorial? WIll never happen. No matter what you do as a start up, people will simply spam chat with questions.
Pizzaman194 wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

We need to start over for 1.3 because people are bored of playing. This world has been going for 6 months now and people want to start over with fresh land and such. If we start over, this will give us a chance to implement anything we want.

I understand your concerns though. We (you :( )would have to copy the themed zone area, other builds, generate two new worlds, paste the spawn and everything. It'd be some work but I believe it's neccessary. People who haven't gotten that many diamonds don't want to lose their items though. We could offer a free stack of iron ingots to people that post in certain thread before the server launch to help our current players start over.
Sorry but just no. I am not taking this over and there is no one else will do this. Having a new map changes nothing. You say you are bored with this map? What will be changed by generating another one? It will still just be a map.
Moreover there is no way in hell anyone will be able to copy around the Theme Zones. They are just too big. Moving over spawn took me about 4 hours. Moving everything else will be a week's worth of work and that is without copying over player builds and resetting residence. This is a ridiculous idea.

Again, you are running in the wrong direction, changing everything about the server in the hope that the actual problems will vanish. The map is not a problem, how it is used is.

pt 
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2012, 10:50 
Well instead of having a massive chain of quotes ill answer like this:

@Pizza As i before stated, having Op's guide them ( the guests ) would probably much better, and please don't say that Op's only do that, i can take my example on which that each time a player enter i will accordingly say : Welcome ''XX'' to our server :) , please read the rules by typing /rules before proceding to Bedlam which the signs direct you to, if you need any help please do say so .
If its not like this exactly its something similar .. what I mean is that Op's aren't the only ones doing these things, such as welcoming guests, what they will do is help them in other ways that Vet's ( such as me, in case of smp ) cant. for example teleporting to them and checking if they did do the things correctly and if not help them do so. This isn't much of a bother, well at least for me since im kinda used to it.

Sadly pizza, i do agree with what Howard stated, there would no one or literally no one who would just be staring at signs to see the rules, they would , as anyone who enters the server or any server, want to play as they come.
[SpA]Howard wrote:
So even through people are not willing to read 10 words on a sign followed by 5 lines of rules, you think they will walk about for half an hour doing a tutorial? WIll never happen. No matter what you do as a start up, people will simply spam chat with questions.
And yet again i do agree with Howard, I personally do not want everything to be reset just for a '' new world'' the world we currently have is good enough.
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Sorry but just no. I am not taking this over and there is no one else will do this. Having a new map changes nothing. You say you are bored with this map? What will be changed by generating another one? It will still just be a map.
Moreover there is no way in hell anyone will be able to copy around the Theme Zones. They are just too big. Moving over spawn took me about 4 hours. Moving everything else will be a week's worth of work and that is without copying over player builds and resetting residence. This is a ridiculous idea.

Again, you are running in the wrong direction, changing everything about the server in the hope that the actual problems will vanish. The map is not a problem, how it is used is.
Cheers! :18