PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 13:59 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Looks like it's happening after all.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

fi 
 Post subject: Re: DayZ standalone game
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 14:24 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Cheap when in Alpha stage? Sounds like a plan! Gotta get my purse when it happens... Wait, what, purse? No... Wallet...

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012, 19:41 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Looks like it's happening after all.

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/
Yeah, and regrettably a) they put Rocket in charge (so it will be pure shite from the get go) and b) it will most likely be in ARMA 2 engine as they wont dev 2 cutting edge products together.

Another idea utterly ruined

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 13:41 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I've been keeping track of the development of this via tumblr, and it's looking really good. They've put a lot of thought into performance, anti-hack, loot spawning and a lot of other features the mod lacked. This includes steam's VAC, a totally new UI inspired by minecraft apparently, a ton of map and art changes, player customisation, and weapons will now be entities so they degrade or jam, attachments can also be added to them. If they deliver what they promise we should be able to expect a very solid and fun game, with a lot of features the mod doesn't have.

They've just released their first dev video:

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 15:03 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
... and weapons will now be entities so they degrade or jam... [/i]
Oh gods...why do people do this? :evil: Why, as soon as someone waves the realism flag, do they add this shit to games? It is NEVER done right and ALWAYS makes the game worse. Guns, quite simply, do not fucking degrade! Unless a game of DayZ is gonna last 25 years in a salt mine, then FUCK ALL will happen to ANY gun in this time. Its an utterly ridiculous thing to add to any game but absolutely on par with what this cretin thinks gameplay is. Why could they not let some of the ARMA 3 team take over this? So fucking infuriating.

That said, this is still no were near even ALPHA stages (and he did not even have to build anything!) and all the things he is implementing sound good but wont work. All the stuff he wants for anti-cheat is fine but will just cause more lag than can be believed, and ARMA 2 has some of the worst network code every seen. Unless he sets up a fleet of high end servers then it will never work, and the only way he could do that would be to add subscriptions. Any which way you slice this, there will be whole world's of issues and he is just not up to the job to fix it.

Sorry to beat on something you are interested in, Junco, but it just annoys me that something that could of been great and that I would have loved, will be utterly ruined by this fucking dick. :( :roll:

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 15:41 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Oh no I've got some faith in this, I don't think they will be lag or performance issues, or at least nothing like they had had in modification, they're doing a massive overhaul to a point where it probably wont resemble how arma 2 servers work. They really seem set on not letting things like lag and hacking kill the game. Plenty of issues with the DayZ mod, but generally I agree with a lot of Rocket does so I don't have these worries. I was skeptical about the standalone, it's looking promising, now it's just a case of them keeping their word and if they do that I reckon it will be a great success.

As for guns I don't know, it depends how they implement it, but I am for it. Arguably these are guns you just find lying around and they haven't yet mentioned how quickly guns fatigue, how or how easy it is to maintain these guns, whether it's a building you need to go to, or loot drop you use to sitdown and clean them with. I didn't like it before that once you found a gun there would be no limit to it's use besides the ammo you have for it. Soldiers zealously oil and clean their weapons to reduce the chances of the weapon jamming, so it's plausible that a survivor would also maintain his gun.

Like I said though, they're putting a great deal of thought and carefulness into this, it would be really embarassing if they release a pile of shit. Either way it has to top both the mod and WarZ.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 16:11 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I should say though aswell, I can't actually find where they confirmed weapon jamming, but I remember something along the lines of the better maintained it is, the smaller the chance of jamming. I interpret that not as a little energy bar dwindling and making your gun useless, but more of a effort to keep your gun as reliable as possible. Also other items will have durability and the capability of carrying disease.

What they did say though was that you'd had to maintain your own magazines, which is great actually. Means you wont have to carry three ak mags holding four bullets in each :lol: so you'd have to take to time load the mags up with bullets which will solve a really irritating problem the mod had.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 16:19 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Oh no I've got some faith in this, I don't think they will be lag or performance issues, or at least nothing like they had had in modification, they're doing a massive overhaul to a point where it probably wont resemble how arma 2 servers work. They really seem set on not letting things like lag and hacking kill the game. Plenty of issues with the DayZ mod, but generally I agree with a lot of Rocket does so I don't have these worries. I was skeptical about the standalone, it's looking promising, now it's just a case of them keeping their word and if they do that I reckon it will be a great success.

As for guns I don't know, it depends how they implement it, but I am for it. Arguably these are guns you just find lying around and they haven't yet mentioned how quickly guns fatigue, how or how easy it is to maintain these guns, whether it's a building you need to go to, or loot drop you use to sitdown and clean them with. I didn't like it before that once you found a gun there would be no limit to it's use besides the ammo you have for it. Soldiers zealously oil and clean their weapons to reduce the chances of the weapon jamming, so it's plausible that a survivor would also maintain his gun.

Like I said though, they're putting a great deal of thought and carefulness into this, it would be really embarassing if they release a pile of shit. Either way it has to top both the mod and WarZ.
Fair enough, and I hope it works out for you. personally, I could not be paid to touch this with a 10 foot asbestos pole. :18 :lol:

As to the guns and maintenance: it totally depends. Kalashnikovs have a simplicity and ruggedness that essentially precludes any maintenance (this is why it used successfully in desert warfare scenarios for extended periods) and modern guns are made of utterly different materials. Sure guns need maintenance, I am not denying that, but the time that would have to pass and the abuse that would have to ensue before a gun malfunctions is far beyond the remit of a game. What is even worse is when you get "realistic" games that have things like shotguns jam - it is simply impossible! Misfires and duds are a far more likely thing, especially given that ammo is scavenged, but a) they cause far less problems that Hollywood would have you believe (most guns, especially anything automatic, have systems built in explicitly to deal with them) and b) (and far more importantly) its just a terrible game mechanic. The way he implemented hunger and thirst was just tragic and utterly ham fisted. He, like every other muppet in the games industry, simply has no idea how guns function and so his attempts to make them "more real" are just doomed from the get go. Having this level of nonsense in crap like COD games is one thing, but in games that are pitching at realism, it just grates (that said, and I am in no way defending the cancerous shite that is the COD games, but oddly, their take on weapon handling, damage and weapon sounds is actually far closer to the mark than anything Battlefield or ARMA/DayZ has yet managed to cough up - weird).

EDIT - having read your new post - yeah, having to manage actual rounds and magazines is a "good "thing for realism, but a shit thing for gameplay. Rocket needs to have "its a fucking game - make it fun" on the inside of his eyelids in neon paint. If he pushes this towards realism it will fail - its a zombie shooter in which you need to eat and sleep - thing is, he wont remember that and he will nto stick to his design brief.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 17:01 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Arguably he might well decide to have guns fatigue/falter more quickly because it is a game. A bad scenario would be the randomness of a gun failing becoming very annoying and unpredictable, and then also guns not being able to be maintained easily or not without a ridiculous quest to find the appropriate loot, then magazines just simply being super tedious and time consuming to maintain. Alternatively it could work a lot better and actually pull the game even further away from your usual shooter and make guns very important and almost as important to look after as yourself. Having a shitload of ammo and a good gun just simply wont do, you would need to keep yourself prepared for fighting and it could add a really nice feel of realism and a little depth witout making the gameplay tedious or tiring. Tediousness will depend on how easy it is to polish your guns and replemish your mags, and how quick and easy the UI will be, and that's inspired by minecraft's; which is piss easy compared to the monstrocity of a invent you would have to use in the mod. So this is something I will have to wait and see about before trying to defend it, but I'm optimistic for a change.