Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:49

All times are UTC+02:00

Adverts are an extra way of earning money for SpA investments, should we keep them?
Yes - unconditionally 47%  47%  [ 14 ]
No - I won't ever accept advertisements on joining a server 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Yes - but make it so SpA point activated accounts don't get to see them 30%  30%  [ 9 ]
Don't really care, do whatever! 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 30
nl 
 Post subject: I see.... Adverts!?
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2012, 22:22 
Community slut (13473)
Hi community,

Before you start wondering about w-t-f is showing in the MOTD on MvM server TiTi and the L4D2 servers, it's advertisements.

We're currently testing (and entire next month) on those servers to see what the revenue is on the ads. If it's anything decent we might implement them across all the servers.

de 
 Post subject: Re: I see.... Adverts!?
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 14:30 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Quote:
THIS SERVER IS PROUDLY POWERED BY MANN CO'S FINEST ROBOT TECH! PLEASE BUY MANN CO. TO SUPPORT OUR CAUSE!

nl 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2012, 15:29 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
Quote:
THIS SERVER IS PROUDLY POWERED BY MANN CO'S FINEST ROBOT TECH! PLEASE BUY MANN CO. TO SUPPORT OUR CAUSE!
:shock:

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 10:39 
Community slut (13473)
I have extended the test to *all* servers.

You will be served ads's in the MOTD the entire next month.

de 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 11:30 
Geek (630)
Will it then be possible to order a private advertisement to be displayed for a special time on the SpA servers?
And what would it cost for, lets say "[GDC]mttriplem is a Dickhead" displayed for a month on all SpA server? :mrgreen:

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 11:34 
Community slut (13473)
Dunken wrote:
Will it then be possible to order a private advertisement to be displayed for a special time on the SpA servers?
And what would it cost for, lets say "[GDC]mttriplem is a Dickhead" displayed for a month on all SpA server? :mrgreen:
Haha, yes that is possible :mrgreen:

The current adverts have a rate of 0.0015$ per impression. We'll accept a dickhead message for 0.0030$ per impression :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 11:59 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
what sort of adverts are they anyway? video or picture ones? Not able to play anything really graphically heavy at the moment (I gets to play Tibia again, yay :| ) so I figured I'd ask.

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 12:36 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]gibboss28 wrote:
what sort of adverts are they anyway? video or picture ones? Not able to play anything really graphically heavy at the moment (I gets to play Tibia again, yay :| ) so I figured I'd ask.
They can be both, however it's only being displayed in the initial MOTD on joining. As soon as you close that you aren't bothered anymore by it.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 15:25 
Likes to type... (224)
Playing L4D2 and all I can hear is the fucking bleach advert :( Eventually I worked out how to shut the damn thing off

Spacecarrot : how man wham do you need for awesome people? 42.

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 15:27 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Tomosa wrote:
Playing L4D2 and all I can hear is the fucking bleach advert :( Eventually I worked out how to shut the damn thing off
The advert which displayed in the MOTD?

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 15:33 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
[SpA]Tomosa wrote:
yeah. most of the time exiting the MOTD stops them, but i've also had the advert continue to play even once i'm out of the server and back in the lobby. i'm just a bit worried that if someone joins a SpA server and the first thing they get is a loud, annoying advert that doesn't always close properly, it's a pretty bad first impression and doesn't make it a server that they are likely to choose to return to become regulars on when there are plenty of other servers that don't have video adverts. it's not a big deal, because most of the time they do close, but... you know what i'm saying. i'm totally fine with image/text adverts though, as i think most people would be anyway :5:

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 15:41 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Scatterbrain wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

yeah. most of the time exiting the MOTD stops them, but i've also had the advert continue to play even once i'm out of the server and back in the lobby. i'm just a bit worried that if someone joins a SpA server and the first thing they get is a loud, annoying advert that doesn't always close properly, it's a pretty bad first impression and doesn't make it a server that they are likely to choose to return to become regulars on when there are plenty of other servers that don't have video adverts. it's not a big deal, because most of the time they do close, but... you know what i'm saying. i'm totally fine with image/text adverts though, as i think most people would be anyway :5:
I have been told this issue primarely exists in L4D2 (which doesn't surprise me too much).

Please notify me if the same issues occur in TF2.

I'll get in touch with the Ad company to see if we can force text ads only for L4D2 and if we can control the soundlevels.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 17:41 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
will do. you da man saint :4

de 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 19:56 
Likes to type... (240)
Dunken wrote:
Ey du Sack..! :ugly:

btw.. Saint..
to display messages like this, has to be more expensive..
maybe quite a good way to get some spare money for new servers.. :wink:

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 20:01 
Community slut (13473)
We'll be working on editing the plugin so that spapoint activated accounts won't get any ads served and will be displayed the old MOTD.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2012, 21:19 
Likes to type... (224)
Nice work Saint! <3

cy 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 01:20 
Has learned to write! (154)
Good job saint! where those the ads we were talking about? with adbite?

nl 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 11:29 
Community slut (13473)
Apparently the sounds levels of the ads are user controllable (right bottom of the screen), can anyone confirm this?

gb 
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 11:47 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Apparently the sounds levels of the ads are user controllable (right bottom of the screen), can anyone confirm this?
I think I did see a volume slider on the motd. When i join now though I have to wait about 10-20 seconds or so for my framerate to fix itself after exiting the motd. Also it will continue playing if you don't pause it before exiting the motd, and it's very loud :(

I think it makes sense to have them on the MvM servers and L4D2, but I'm not keen on having them on the tf2 servers. I wont lie, when I find a server with ads playing in the motd, I typically blacklist them and change server, with our vanilla tf2 server we need the players. With L4D2 and MvM however it's the player who needs our servers to play on.

nl 
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 12:51 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
I think I did see a volume slider on the motd. When i join now though I have to wait about 10-20 seconds or so for my framerate to fix itself after exiting the motd. Also it will continue playing if you don't pause it before exiting the motd, and it's very loud :(

I think it makes sense to have them on the MvM servers and L4D2, but I'm not keen on having them on the tf2 servers. I wont lie, when I find a server with ads playing in the motd, I typically blacklist them and change server, with our vanilla tf2 server we need the players. With L4D2 and MvM however it's the player who needs our servers to play on.
Thanks for your feedback. Added a poll to this topic.

gb 
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 01:53 
Likes to type... (224)
I don't think SpA point activated accounts should be exempt from seeing the adverts, mainly because anyone who has bothered to sign up for spapoints is probably more likely to put up with the adverts (at least I'm happy to watch/see a few seconds of adverts to give income for the server)

gb 
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2012, 02:47 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Yeah, personally they wont bother me as I know where the money is going. If it was with another server though it would just put me off, one reason being there's plenty of servers I could go on that don't have ads playing on the motd, and it just kind of looks a bit bad, it's something you would associate with the !premium servers and if it really did put players off we wouldn't know about it.

It would be fine for the MvM servers, but not vanilla and nocritz. I think our selling point is that our servers are more or less vanilla, no annoying sound effects, or whacky plugins, or popups. It just wouldn't feel right :(

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 14:40 
Has no REAL life! (1234)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Before you start wondering about w-t-f is showing in the MOTD on MvM server
I don't think I've actually seen an advert on the MvM server since at all, is that supposed to happen? :P
_9mmNL_ hasn't seen any either, we are either insane or blind, possibly both, but from the sounds of it we should be seeing the adds.

I only ever see our own MOTDs.

us 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 15:10 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Don, last night when we played together, I saw them. :P

You must have been hallucinating!

dk 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 19:27 
Likes to type... (290)
Overdose of bourbon biscuits is equal to a shooting LSD directly into your veins.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2012, 22:12 
Has no REAL life! (1234)
Well if that's the case.. at least they're not very intrusive ^^

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 14:08 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
i've had the advert-still-plays-after-i've-exited-the-whiteboard bug several times now. i'm agreed with Junco that they're fine on L4D, MvM and stuff, but shouldn't be on Tavish, Dell and No Crits.

nl 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 14:16 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Scatterbrain wrote:
i've had the advert-still-plays-after-i've-exited-the-whiteboard bug several times now. i'm agreed with Junco that they're fine on L4D, MvM and stuff, but shouldn't be on Tavish, Dell and No Crits.
Looking at the donation counter, they very much should be on there.

I was thinking the other day, we could do a few things;

- Disable the ads (Who will pay for SpA's bandwidth, me?)
- Disable the ads when the minimum required donation amount of 150,- has been reached
- Disable the ads for SpA-point activated accounts (currently no coder available to make the changes)

I'm all ears to any other solutions.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 14:49 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
yeah, i mostly made the post to see if a discussion could start again. in an ideal world, we don't need ads; in a slightly-less-than ideal world, we don't need ads on our main servers; in reality, we need them everywhere, and for the sake of maybe 30 seconds bother if you get the bug after joining the server, it's a good deal if it helps keep SpA running. and you shouldn't have to be paying the SpA bill all the time.

i'm liking the idea of turning it off after 150 euros, if it's something that we can do easily enough. it's both a good incentive to donate and gives us a good way to justify the ads to newcomers to our servers, which is my main concern really - i'm imagining a new automatic greentext chatbox message explaining the situation, essentially saying more donations = less ads.

have you heard of any way to fix the current bug (aside from just muting it)? how would revenue from text/image ads compare to video ads, if that's an option?

se 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 15:54 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (118)
Maybe someone said it, but the annoying part is that when i tab out while joining all of the sudden the advert-sound plays even when it's tabbed out :I
(btw not rly a problem anymore since the advertsisers cant show advert in my country :D )