It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:23

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: Firefall
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 21:58 
Pretty useless (83)
Seriously addictive. Anyone playing it?

FIREFALL

Money can be used to progress your characters Battleframes and whatnot but really, there's no need. I've considered chucking a small amount of money into it - but I daren't. The fun is taken away of earning the items.

de 
 Post subject: Re: Firefall
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2014, 23:46 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
I find it kinda boring. Long ways between quests (might have patched that a bit), always the same abilities and main weapon (they added a few modifiers in the last patch that change them a bit at least but I stopped playing long before that), no real sense of progression for me.

The only 2 times I really had fun is when gliding from really, really high spots and when thought I'm in for just another easy stomper defense, but then all hell broke lose...
Dozens of enemies droppodding on us together with multiple huge shield bubbles, killing everyone and making all players in the area join the clusterfuck. :ugly:

nl 
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2014, 08:52 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Yet another deathmatch first person shooter without team tactics?

gb 
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2014, 21:38 
Pretty useless (83)
Dekar wrote:
I find it kinda boring. Long ways between quests (might have patched that a bit), always the same abilities and main weapon (they added a few modifiers in the last patch that change them a bit at least but I stopped playing long before that), no real sense of progression for me.

The only 2 times I really had fun is when gliding from really, really high spots and when thought I'm in for just another easy stomper defense, but then all hell broke lose...
Dozens of enemies droppodding on us together with multiple huge shield bubbles, killing everyone and making all players in the area join the clusterfuck. :ugly:
The long distances between quests has been patched just the other day, in fact. A few things were patched. That was kind of annoying, but they've fixed it.

I'm personally really enjoying it. The idea of thumping got my attention, and selling your earned resources and on the marketplace is fun. It's not for everyone and there are mixed reviews about it, like any game.
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
Yet another deathmatch first person shooter without team tactics?
Bucky, it's a MMO. D'uh! Honestly, you fucking numbnuts. :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2014, 21:41 
Pretty useless (83)
Dekar, I forgot to add - the most recent patch (the first BIG patch since it's official release, bringing it to Firefall 1.1) has given players some new weapons plus, elemental modifiers and modifiers for secondary weapons. Worth checking out.

gb 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 00:09 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I might reinstall, see if it runs better now that I've got my heat issues fixed, but I didn't find the gun mechanics very appealing. Felt a lot like sanctum but cheaper, but it is a free game.

nl 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 01:37 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Ok :lol:

Watched a youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pblXzUnyWk

Looks ok.

Bit tired with games tbh. Since BF2 , I haven't played a game anymore that actually consists of team work and not running around like crazy, rushing killing.
In BF2, the amount of team work between the ppl in a squad, the squad commander and the commander, imo, hasn't been matched anymore.

Games come down to a few options nowadays:

- Shoot your enemy, who is another player, deathmatch style
- Do quests, which consists of shooting enemies, player or bot like, hack and slash, collect stuff or get someone killed
- Very little actual team work. Most team work met is working together to get one of the above goals.

Games like skyrim, diablo, assassin's creed, etc. Or shooters...
Can't seem to reach the fun I had of em when it was all new in the 90s and early 2000. Where shit was actually new.
Where my bro and i sat actual behind a computer and plaid something like worms, tales of monkey island, kings quest. Man, even tom raider was all new at that age.
Now it's just stuff copied from what is already done and the fantasy in the story line is getting less and less as well.
Is that just me ? Is this game any differen than that?

I admire games like Minecraft , Portal, by actually doing something different then most of the stuff out there.

Atm I play Eve online, which in MMORPG reference is so broad it can't be compared to anything, certainly not WoW. I play CS:GO, because SpA ppl play it and it get's me 15 years back in time when we had so much fun playing CS. I still intend to play battlefield 4. Hoping it'll get me at least a hint of the fun I had with playing BF2, but that's a real long shot. BF2 was so much better set up gameplay wise. Saint and me proved time after time that with working together and communicating with the commander who then communicated with the other squads, you had a real strategy game that was reliant on team work and serious tactics to getting your goal. In the end it was like someone was playing something like command and conquer, the war part, but instead of bots the commander is giving commands to actual players and the players actually went out there doing fps stuff, but then having to score points with capturing and stuff.

Anywa, seriously, is this game any different? Cuz then I might try it.

gb 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 02:09 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
PC gaming is a much bigger thing thesedays and there's a staggering variety of enjoyable and unique shooters compared to say a decade or two ago, when there might have been only handful of popular shooters with a fairly small amount of people playing them. So of course back then you would end up with some very dedicated, closer knit and friendly players who knew the importance of teamwork, it's not really something you can blame on game developers. Today though games are so easy to get hold of, you may not even need to pay for them. People are trying out loads of different games constantly and maybe not really sticking to any in paticular. Access to affordable gaming PCs, internet and their increasing ease of use has probably opened the market up for younger and more casual players who aren't all that invested in things like teamwork.

It's not all gloom and doom however. Variety and competition has made for some excellent games amongst the copies and rubbish. Most shooters have ranking systems or ladder/competitive games so the teamwork experience is always there for those willing to invest in that game. Like all forms of media though like music, art, film etc. it all seems much less romantic as time goes on. You'll never get the experience you had back then in today's games. If you focus on all the things that are missing from new games that were in old games, you wont enjoy them. You won't appreciate all the cool new stuff that makes those games great in their own special way.

nl 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 10:51 
SpA Fookah (4459)
I think there's truth in a good part what you've written. About the competitive bit, I don't want to invest that kind of time and dedication to go competitive in matches and such.
It's also not that I don't think new games are or aren't cool. A lot of games are repetitive like hell nowadays though. There are some exceptions, but they're thin imo. There's loads of people enjoying games like Skyrim and such. Imo, it's a too repetitive way of gaming. It consists of finding that quest, doing the same thing over and over again in a different area for a different item, unimaginitive story line. But, luckily taste differs.
I just wish there would be more team work. Even when we join a CS:GO server there's almost no communication about what tactics. That's mostly what turned me away from gaming fps games.
Also why I enjoy Eve. Something I'm looking forward to in Star citizen :D
In multiplayer games nowadays I'm mostly looking for the players to do teamwork, or a game that marginally forces you to communicate and do teamwork. If there's not, IMO, it's just one more of those deathmatch shooters with having possibilities to upgrade your shooter :|

gb 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 13:45 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I don't think you have to invest too much. Like the cs:go competitive isn't difficult. To begin with the players are pretty disorganised and unskilled, the teamwork comes after you've played a some games as it uses a ranking system. That doesn't really take much effort, eventually more and more people are using the mics and talking strats. All you have to do in cs:go is click competitive, pick the maps you like and it just puts you in a game. Not many other games really have that, but games like TF2 have lobbies and the like. Sometimes just joining a good server helps and speaking on the mic yourself. I think even BF3 had squad deathmatch? Not sure if that was any good for teamwork?

There's also like a heap of co-op players vs enemy games like Killing Floor and L4D, which aren't strictly new games, but there's a lot of games like them or being developed that only work with teamwork. There's a mech fighter game called Hawken, the team that doesn't work together just gets totally flattened like you either fight together or die. I've played a few games that work like that. A lot of game developers are trying to find a good balance between making games acessible while encouraging teamwork. Not an easy task now that so many gamers today are just very casual or young. In my opinion it was the players who made old games so tight in terms of teamwork.

I remember when there was little known voxel shooter called Ace of Spades where you could build like in minecraft, and it was just excellent to begin with. People were working together to build awesome forts and cover to shoot from. Breaking off into little squads for flank attacks and secret tunnels, it was excellent. Then as it got popular the shitters arrived, and before you knew it people were switching team to grief buildings and teamkill. No one was working together and people were raging like children shouting profanity in global chat. No more awesome castles that took a real push to destroy, just piles of green blocks and pink dildos to use as cover. It went from one of the best games I've played to literally one of worst, solely because of the players.

So I do think your right that teamwork just isn't the same, but I blame the players. There is only so much developers can do about that, and have to make the game enjoyable without teamwork since there is a lack of players who use it. So you end up with stuff like upgradeable loadouts and weapons and self progression to make up for it. Though stuff like that is still fun in it's own way.

nl 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 15:05 
SpA Fookah (4459)
I think it's an interactive process though. Players are definitely responsible for a big part. Game developers also develop to what there is a question for. With making money in mind as well. That ends up with for instance, free games with buyable content. Free games attract players from all over, which doesn't always end up in getting loads of fun players that want to work together.
Also, there's tons and tons of console people in the up and coming. Imo, that's something that destroyed all the battlefields apart from 1942 and bf2. You see that the maps are getting smaller and the gameplay changes to more emphasis on more and more of a deathmatch element in whatever gameplay mode they offer.
In BF4 there were supposed to be big maps as well, but there aren't, compared to the aforementioned. Also, you walk a lot faster, which ends up making the maps even smaller. As the game was also ported with consoles in mind, this tends to happen a lot.
Also, what gamers want, is changing. Which has it's down sides and up sides.

Anyway, back more on topic. How is this all in Firefall?