Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:54

All times are UTC+02:00

at 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 10:15 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
Read our news post for more information.

These maps will be played this weekend:
ccp_circlejerk_rc1
cp_egypt_v2
cp_vertigo_b3
cp_junction_v2
cp_science
cp_aqua
ctf_quarry_v2
ctf_moonwalk_v2
ctf_geothermal_b2
ctf_chaos
ctf_barns
ctf_freezers_v2
pl_dustbowl

Post any suggestions in this thread.

de 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 10:47 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Quote:
alternating between CP and CTF gameplay modes
Hey... there's a PL-map. ;)

Love the idea, hope that I can spare some time to play at the weekend.

se 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 12:50 
Has learned to write! (217)
I see dates, but no times. Is it right to assume that the custom map weekend starts at 00:00 2008-07-25 CEST and ends 24:00 2008-07-25 CEST?

nl 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 13:18 
Has no REAL life! (1359)
Blackhawk wrote:
Quote:
alternating between CP and CTF gameplay modes
Hey... there's a PL-map. ;)

Love the idea, hope that I can spare some time to play at the weekend.
yeah i saw that too :P.. what is PL anyways?

at 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 13:49 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
[SpA]VictorOfSweden wrote:
I see dates, but no times. Is it right to assume that the custom map weekend starts at 00:00 2008-07-25 CEST and ends 24:00 2008-07-25 CEST?
Don't blame me, I didn't write the text and I'm not the organiser of the even. I'm just managing the technical aspects.

I assume it is meant to be 2008-07-25 12:00 to 2008-07-27 23:59. (Friday afternoon till Sunday night). Due to technical limitations (=me being asleep) I guess those times won't be exact. :ugly:
UndeadDruid wrote:
what is PL anyways?
pl = payload = the game mode of goldrush = the one where you push the bomb (=payload) to the enemy base.

de 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 15:52 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
[SpA]demm wrote:
Don't blame me, I didn't write the text and I'm not the organiser of the even. I'm just managing the technical aspects.
It's great to be the techie who can always blame the management. ;)

ro 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 15:57 
The Necromancer (4970)
The management *cough*... Yeah, blame the management *cough*... ^^

No, seriously - I came up with the idea and wrote the text so bash me if you have to. It's true that there's one payload map but you all know it very well - it's simply dustbowl with a cart. :-D

And yes, demm is correct to assume that my plan was to start the whole thing on Friday in the afternoon (or at noon :-P).

I don't think the times are THAT important although you could add them to the news item if you want to. I didn't list them on purpose to grant ourselves a bit of flexibility so that people don't whine if we're late or so that we can prolong the weekend on Sunday for a bit if the server is full etc...

ro 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 23:49 
The Necromancer (4970)
By the way - I bought ctf_mach4 twice today and although I knew the map very well before (it's immensely popular among custom maps) I probably never played it with 26 players.

I have to say that all fears concerning the map being overcrowded were unfounded. Yes, there's a lot of action BUT that's awesome. I always claimed that mach4 is like 2fort done right. There are very few stalemates because there's virtually no sentry position you can't bomb WITHOUT an uber if the enemy isn't careful. The route between the intelligence rooms is quite short and luckily the intelligence ISN'T placed BEHIND the enemy spawn like on that pile of crap 2fort where you have to pass it twice...
Also, snipers tend to engage far less in useless duels because the sniping positions are kind of exposed but at the same time offer a far better field of vision so you can really kill critical foes.
It's also nice that the defending team ALWAYS has a bit of a disadvantage if they want to simply camp around the intelligence because once you drop into the room you have to run around to get up again (if your engies don't set up teleporters)...
All in all I'm glad that it's on the server now - the overall reaction was quite positive as well, I think - the server was full and except some initial whining like "I don't know the map", "it's too complicated" (ironic, since mach4 is more straight-forward than any standard map - maybe with the exception of turbine) everybody was glad and the class-composition was kinda balanced as well...
Ah - the map looks also very nice - it has a soft "bloom" effect added in certain places, I think, and looks at least as good as Valve's maps. No wonder - it went through 4 major versions to reach the pinnacle of balance and craftsmanship! ^^ I have a strong suspicion that it will be added in some class-pack sooner or later...

at 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 08:53 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
Yes Lim-Dul, that's why I added the map :D

Certainly the best ctf map I've ever played.

nl 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 09:03 
Has no REAL life! (2546)
yeah mach4 is great if there aren't 5/6+ engi's and 10 snipers :D

de 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 12:02 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
I just took a quick look at the maps at fpsbanana... wohoo... the stuff looks really great and I cannot wait for the weekend to test'em... altough I'll get severly lost... I know it... I'll get lost... :mrgreen:

ee 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 16:11 
Illiterate (12)
cp_egypt_v2 ftw

ro 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 16:23 
The Necromancer (4970)
Quote:
I just took a quick look at the maps at fpsbanana... wohoo... the stuff looks really great and I cannot wait for the weekend to test'em... altough I'll get severly lost... I know it... I'll get lost...
No worries, we all will. ^^

Besides - don't look at the pretty screens on FPSBanana.com and download our map pack instead - you can then run around the maps and familiarize yourself with them as well... You don't want to download 510 MB (uncompressed) in-game and the biggest map with exclusively custom-made textures is around 60 MB in size, I believe. ;-)

P.S. demm, add a download link to the basic map pack (the exe) to your first post - some people visit the forums more often than the homepage. =)

Custom Map Weekend Pack v1.1 (150 MB) @ Rapidshare.com

at 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 17:36 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
P.S. demm, add a download link to the basic map pack (the exe) to your first post - some people visit the forums more often than the homepage. =)
They should get their lazy asses to the HP then!
I'm not adding the link :ugly:

de 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 22:14 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Already downloaded the pack. So I just need to start a local server and do some voodoo so that I can run around? Is v1.1 a altered pack?

ro 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 22:31 
The Necromancer (4970)
You don't even need any voodoo - you simply choose the map you want from the list when you start a server. In-game you change maps in the console with the map "map_name" command. =)

Yes, v1.1 of the pack is new. There was a v1.0 which added some shortcuts to the start menu like a link to the website and an uninstall option but demm remarked they weren't really necessary so I removed these from the installer. =)

fi 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 00:17 
Doesn't get out much (389)
I won't be at home when this happens, will some of these be added to the mapcycle afterwards?

ro 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 04:06 
The Necromancer (4970)
To the MC, no; to the SpA-points buying option, perhaps, if the maps receive a good enough feedback.

Maybe, somewhere in the far future when we all agree on messing around with the Dynamic Map Rotation plugin some custom maps will be added but for now there are no plans for that AFAIK - I only mentioned it once to the techies and the management. =)

Also, the best custom maps will be included in future class packs anyway and we can only hope that Valve will settle for something better than Turbine (there are dozens of better maps out there).

de 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 10:35 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
What about using PIE #3 as a custom map server? :)

ro 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 14:21 
The Necromancer (4970)
Let's see about the Custom Map Weekend first. There's a reason why I'm organizing it... You may have noticed that people will be asked to rate the maps. It may very well turn out that there aren't enough good and really playable maps to fill a single nice map cycle. ;-)

de 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 21:08 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Ok... but it seems that I won't have much time to play. :(

nl 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 21:16 
Has no REAL life! (2546)
Blackhawk wrote:
+1, same here :/

de 
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 13:49 
Has no REAL life! (3426)
[SpA]futari wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:
+1, same here :/
&nd again +1 - but not sure...maybe i can...

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 16:25 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
Let's see about the Custom Map Weekend first. There's a reason why I'm organizing it... You may have noticed that people will be asked to rate the maps. It may very well turn out that there aren't enough good and really playable maps to fill a single nice map cycle. ;-)
I do enjoy that map Mach 4, although when I played it there was only 8 per team. Imagine if it was a full house it might be a bit overwhelming with it being such a small map. What say you Mr.Dul?

ro 
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 17:21 
The Necromancer (4970)
Well - I played it 3 times already on server #1 and it was 13 vs 13... The map is working fine.

Read my comment several posts above - LOL...

http://forum.specialattack.net/viewtopi ... 469#p33469

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 11:13 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Oh yeah. I didn't realise you'd covered it already, sorry bout that.

Anyway, I'll download the map pack when I get back down the homestead. It should spice things up nicely having some variety. I'm glad Convoy isn't in the pack cause quite frankly, it's a bit crap. I know you like it Lim... but it is.

at 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 15:00 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
The weekend has officially started :D

Thanks to Roofuzz we also have a fast download mirror now.

nl 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 15:43 
Pretty useless (97)
[SpA]demm wrote:
The weekend has officially started :D

Thanks to Roofuzz we also have a fast download mirror now.
Wee , ow well if it's fast dunno ... it should be :) I was waiting 1 hour for the download to finish so i thought it might be handy.

One hour for me till weekend, see you 2night.

ro 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 15:56 
The Necromancer (4970)
Roofuz - have you downloaded the map pack? You said you had to wait one hour at first... =)

Ah - sorry, I see now. Rapidshare was giving you problems. ^^

A few additional words from me.

So far the attendance rate is pretty good and everything is working fine HOWEVER I'm very, very annoyed by some people who start to whine about a map after like 5 minutes because it's new (remember when you first played TF2? Did you know all the maps like, genetically or instinctively?) and hence they don't know it or are too dumb or stubborn to learn it properly. I don't have the time to argue with everyone on the server, so please, please post the comments HERE where they can be evaluated properly - it's not that your opinion doesn't matter, quite the opposite, but there's a time and place for everything and we won't be tracking in-game comments, especially ones that have no merit to them...

One example. cp_science - it doesn't matter what I or anybody else thinks about this map BUT a certain player, let's call him esOb (he, he) spent like the whole map whining on the voice-comm because he couldn't find his way on it even though it has HUGE FUCKING arrows (I have screenshots - they change dynamically, by the way), labels and even dynamic map signs!

Another thing is that Valve will probably release custom maps in the next class pack - perhaps even one we prepared on our servers, who knows - and then suddenly everybody will praise them. Wow! New maps! Valve is awesome! etc.

Guess what - cp_badlands, ctf_turbine, cp_fastlane - they all started out as custom maps but now everybody takes them for granted as standards (well - turbine might be an exception). How did they become so good? So widely accepted? Through hours and hours of tweaking and testing and because people seem to like things coming directly from Valve...

The Custom Map Weekend is meant both as a fun alternative - remember you STILL have 2 other European servers and one USA server running only standard maps to choose from - AND a way of testing the maps so they may be made available in the SpA-shop. I have bent over backwards to make the weekend an enjoyable experience. I found a map rating plugin so that the player opinions can be easily kept track of, we have a forum topic, I have tested DOZENS of maps both on custom map servers and solo (e.g. to test running times on CTF maps), compiled a fucking map pack with an automated installer and spent literally several days to prepare it all. You can already see that ctf_moonwalk didn't receive high ratings and guess what - I expected that because the lowered gravity in the center is a controversial feature BUT it might have been deemed awesome by many people, especially since the map is very polished, so it had to be tested. On our server it seems to have become instantly hated so it'll most likely not make it into any SpA-shop, map cycle etc. There, your opinion matters to us!

Trust me, if I hadn't picked maps that were at least SOMEWHAT playable, visually attractive and in my opinion needed further evaluation to confirm their value or dismiss it on our servers then you wouldn't believe what shit you would have had to wade through if I had e.g. picked maps at random - there are so many truly awful projects out there and I was forced to play on some of them so YOU wouldn't have to...

Hence - please excuse me if I'm kind of sensitive towards whining players etc. but I want to play on all the maps with YOU and TEST them, not listen to or argue with some people whining like 2 year-olds in a sandbox, especially if they can simply rate a map with a low score, post something on the forums or join Server #2 and Server #3 and play cp_dustbowl or pl_goldrush some more (not bad maps by any means but some players, e.g. me, get bored if they are played too often!).

Appreciate the time both I and demm have invested in this event and don't spoil the fun for some players. I mean - if you look at the ratings it becomes apparent that not EVERYBODY finds certain maps THAT bad and it's only due to some especially vocal and whine-y individuals that they become virtually unplayable for the team (at least for me - I get annoyed very quickly).

You WILL get silenced on the server sooner or later if you stay on it and only bash the map all the time instead of leaving or posting on the forums. Most certainly if I'M playing at the same moment...

de 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 20:46 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
*thumbsup* for you guys and just take some pills to calm down. :)

I have one last question... what's the official map cycle? It's not the order in the annoucement.