It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:26

All times are UTC+02:00

de 
 Post subject: News from da block
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 15:59 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2193
Quote:
We're just about done with the Scout pack, and our design and coding has already moved on to the next pack. The weapons and achievements are all nailed down, and we just have to finish up the final artwork on them. We like to do the final art as late as possible to ensure that we don't waste any work, which turned out to be a good decision this time around due to the large number of unlockables we tried out as alternatives to the Scattergun. Balancing his replacement weapon has been very tricky due to large threat difference of the Scout between skilled and non-skilled hands. More on that soon.

In the meantime, here's a few answers to some questions we get regularly:

"When's the next update going to be out?"

* We've got an update that should be out tomorrow with a bunch of bug & exploit fixes. Later this week we hope to have another update out that changes the way we store your unlockable items. You shouldn't notice much difference, other than if you play on multiple computers we'll now propagate your item choices. You can think of that update as the one that moves your inventory into the Steam Cloud. Once that's out of the way, we'll be able to ship the Scout pack.

"Why did you change the minigun's muzzle flash away from the original one shown in Meet the Heavy?"

* That muzzle flash was one of the earliest effects that we put in the game and it was done before our new particle system was in place. As we moved forward with the effects we decided that such a cartoony hard-edged look to the effects didn't help the readability of the overall game. If the muzzle flashes and all the effects had well defined edges, they would visually compete with the rest of the TF2 world and the players. So it was decided that the effects should be much softer than the rest of the game so as to not overwhelm an already visually dense game.

"Why should I use Natascha? And doesn't she only do 66% damage, not 75%?"

* You're correct, there was a bug that caused her to lose 0.75 damage off each individual bullet she fired. She spits out so many bullets that a tiny amount like that added up to a significant difference. Tomorrow's update will fix that, and also includes a slight boost to the amount of slowdown she delivers. Our internal playtesters have been finding her much more useful, especially on the large number of Scouts running around with new toys.

"Why is the Sniper such a fake Australian? Aren't several members of the TF2 team Australian?"

* Yes, it's true, the Sniper is a fairly unconvincing Australian. Most of his lines make him sound more English than Australian, and the voice actor is clearly an English actor faking an Australian accent. As for why we didn't fight to make him more authentic, we though it was appropriate that he was about as convincing an Australian as the Demoman is a Scotsman, or the Medic a German.
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2193

Edit: Natasha will get an upgrade. Yay! :mrgreen:

nl 
 Post subject: Re: News from da block
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 16:08 
Geek (913)
hoooraaay!!!

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 16:30 
Geek (778)
lol at the australian comment

I think it makes the sniper more amusing that he's dodgy english australian :)

yay for updates! :D

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 16:37 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Cannot wait for the scout unlockables ;)

no 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 16:38 
Likes to type... (261)
Well one thing's foru sure, I will def get practice against scouts.
Me I'm just gonna farm the achivements because I never play scout.

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 16:40 
The Necromancer (4970)
Quote:
Me I'm just gonna farm the achivements because I never play scout.
Boycott Valve's weapon unlocking policy like me then and use the Steam Achievement Manager. ^^

no 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 16:53 
Likes to type... (261)
Yeah, I got fed up with fucking achievements from the 360.
Unless they've managed to make achievements that doesn't require you to do stupid shit.

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 17:10 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
Cannot wait for the scout unlockables ;)
It's hard to express how anxious I am about them. :4
And curious. Because, if the pistol and bat are "easily" upgradable, offering a viable option to the scattergun is very hard to imagine.

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 17:14 
The Necromancer (4970)
The pistol is and always has been a viable alternative to the scattergun (in certain situations) - the only people who don't use it are the ones who don't play scout much or will never fully exploit the potential of this class. I can't count the times I finished off enemy scouts with my pistol when they were backpedaling to get some health after a scattergun duel. I also use it quite often as a fight opener to do some initial damage to the enemy at medium range before I close in.

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 17:17 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
I was talking about each weapon vs. upgradable, not about using your pistol at long range which pretty much every scout knows is should be done. Same goes for finishing off scouts.

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 17:20 
The Necromancer (4970)
Well - in that case I have to agree with you but consider that secondary weapons in all the class packs have hardly ever been a real alternative to the primary weapon - the primary weapon defines the class so it would be ridiculous if the pistol/bat upgrades were better than the scattergun in general - and Valve knows that... However, I'm interested in what the scattergun upgrade will be all about - this is the one that could indeed change the way you play a scout...

P.S. Taking bets on whether one of the unlockables will have something to do with increased crit chances. ;-)

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 17:24 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
You still didn't understand my point. :P :D
The scattergun, as it is, is a fabulous primary weapon and there isn't anything that comes in my mind or suggestions that I've read on various forums that would make a scout player drop it for anything else. Unless it's a complete buff, with no real downside. So far, the primary weapon upgrades for the other classes are either situational or just downright useless. (Natasha is useless, backburner is half-useless and Kritzkrieg is situational)

edit.
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
P.S. Taking bets on whether one of the unlockables will have something to do with increased crit chances. ;-)
Hehe, yeah. some of the best player ideas were based around increased crit chance. Like that doublejump 100% crit for scatter. But that would be just imba as everything with less than 150hp would die from one med-close hit.
That charging slow swinging bat ideea was awesome though.

Last edited by sebas on 28 Jan 2009, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 17:41 
The Necromancer (4970)
Quote:
You still didn't understand my point. :P :D
The scattergun, as it is, is a fabulous primary weapon and there isn't anything that comes in my mind or suggestions that I've read on various forums that would make a scout player drop it for anything else. Unless it's a complete buff, with no real downside. So far, the primary weapon upgrades for the other classes are either situational or just downright useless.
Hmm... That I don't quite agree with.

I mean - consider the Medic. Both the Ubersaw and the Kritzkrieg are viable alternatives to the main weapons (especially after the Kritzkrieg buff) and the Blutsauger more or less completely replaced the Syringe Gun (well, I think the Ubersaw might have done the same to the Bonesaw). Then, in the Pyro pack there's indeed a situational upgrade, the Axtinguisher, but melee weapons are not that important anyway (and the Axtinguisher benefits from the Pyro being a close-range class) and the outright useless Flare Gun but the choice of a primary weapon is very balanced - guaranteed crits from behind and more hp or the air blast? You can use both successfully.

The Heavy update introduced pretty useless upgrades except for the sandwich which is only good when there's no medic around but the upcoming Natasha buff might change that - I always thought this weapon had potential with a slight upgrade but the damage output was unsatisfying and the slow-down effect was laughable, both will be accounted for in the update, apparently.

Ah, and keep in mind that Valve reads player suggestions but has no problem with completely ignoring them and going against the flow. I haven't seen a single good suggestion for a scattergun replacement either but you know, this is the internet, it's full of crap. ^^

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 17:49 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
Well, you do agree then because that was my point aswell. :P Just that I was reffering solely to the primary weapons. Kritzkrieg is indeed a fabulous alternative though a lot players still believe it's uless and will nag you do death in voice and chat when using it. Funny how that goes.
Natasha is by all means useless.
While the backburner..well, it is half-useless. It serves no point in 6vs6 where then only thing the pyro has on it's side is the blowback; while in pub-games it's highly dependant on the other team's set-up since you have to get behind them (ambush) to make it useful. No good team will allow you to do that. Not consistently. :) Still it's a far better upgrade than natasha will ever be, even with the extra 9% damage.

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 17:56 
The Necromancer (4970)
In 6vs6 the Pyro is pretty useless anyway and not because it's such a bad class but because you'd rather have other class slots filled with able players first.

As to the Backburner and Flamethrower. Considering TF2's hit detection especially when it comes to identifying the "back" of a player it's pretty awesome in all kinds of situations; the enemy only needs to alter his angle slightly and BAM, you prevail - you should see Amyl, Nonice or McMoist with it even during clan fights - wait, you have, haven't you? ^^
Also, we shouldn't evaluate unlockables only by clanwar standards - relatively few people play that way. In that case the sandwich is pretty much useless while in FFA it's an absolute blessing considering how few medics you usually have around.

ro 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 18:15 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
Back crits woun't count for nothing when a soldier is jugling you. The backburner is a kamikaze weapon. It is however very good at clearing up a room with an uber after the sentries have been destroyed. Not that a heavy couldn't do the same. :)

Blowback can make enemy ubers useless, provide the edge in fights against demomen and soldiers, block a point capture+disorientate the flying piggies..err..enemies, render kritzkrieg useless and, for the lol, provide engies with kills by blowing the enemies into the sentry range. :P

pl 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 18:42 
Has no REAL life! (1715)
Cant wait for first few days after the update, with 26 scouts running around:

se 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 20:16 
Likes to type... (284)
Bartg wrote:
Cant wait for first few days after the update, with 26 scouts running around:
*snip*
Ahh, good ol' Pyro days.

No, that was not sudden death - actual gameplay from a normal match.

de 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 21:20 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
For Kritz vs Medigun: I think I'm using them around 50:50. I normally have the Kritz and switch to Medigun, if ubers are needed. :)

de 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009, 21:40 
Has no REAL life! (1548)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
For Kritz vs Medigun: I think I'm using them around 50:50. I normally have the Kritz and switch to Medigun, if ubers are needed. :)
So do I, while attacking I mostly use medigun.
On defence Kritzkrieg is just pure awesomeness! <3
Anyway, can't wait for the update.

se 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 03:09 
Likes to type... (284)
Update released.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2203/
Quote:
Team Fortress 2
  • Added percentage to UberCharge HUD panel for the Medic
  • Added upgrade progress and levels to Engineer HUD panel for all buildings
  • Added mp_tournament_allow_non_admin_restart server ConVar to allow server admin to toggle whether non-admin players can issue the mp_tournament_restart ConCommand on the server. Default is 1 (current behavior)
  • Added flag to the gamerules entity so map authors can override the HUD type being used. Allows map authors to force CTF or CP HUD to be used if they mix CTF/CP entities in the map
  • Added check in CTF HUD to make sure it doesn't point at disabled capture zones when the player is carrying the flag. Allows map authors to have more than one capture zone for each team in the map
  • Changed AutoTeam to give new players to the attackers on attack/defend maps if the teams are even
  • Fixed Pyro model not animating in the class menu
  • Fixed players getting stuck in the "prepare to respawn..." countdown loop
  • Fixed Natascha not getting the proper 75% of damage and slightly increased the strength of Natascha's slowdown
  • Fixed teleporter entrance/exit effects being drawn when they don't have a matching teleporter entrance/exit
  • Fixed announcer saying "the cart is nearing the checkpoint" after the round has already been won
  • Fixed cloaked spies having a particle-beam effect while standing next to a dispenser that's healing them
  • Fixed server crash when trying to load a map that contains control points with duplicate index values
  • Fixed several materials warnings in the console
  • Fixed "Cart.Explode" sound script entry using an unknown sound channel
  • Marked the cl_bobcycle and cl_bobup ConVars as cheats

se 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 07:08 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
Loke wrote:
Good stuff. Bit surprised they took out the healing beam for cloaked spies though. Oh well, all of this is jolly nice.

fr 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 08:32 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
Lim-Dul is gonna be very happy, since it fixes one of his custom map favorites with the CTF/CP mode.

de 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 10:30 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Ya missed to quote the other stuff:
Quote:
Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat: Source
* Fixed clients using reloadresponsesystems, sv_soundemitter_flush, sv_soundemitter_filecheck, sv_findsoundname, and sv_soundscape_printdebuginfo to lag/crash servers

Source Engine
* Fixed client "timeout on mapchange" problem
* Fixed setinfo exploit
* Marked the r_aspectratio ConVar as a cheat

Server Browser
* Renamed "Quick List" to "Map List"
* Removed minimum ping filter from Map List
Timeout on mapchanged fixed... yay! :)

gr 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 12:01 
Geek (611)
Great update can't wait for the next! :P

ro 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 12:23 
The Necromancer (4970)
[SpA]demm wrote:
Lim-Dul is gonna be very happy, since it fixes one of his custom map favorites with the CTF/CP mode.
Wow - you noticed. =)

In fact Shmitz immediately posted some news on the TF2maps.net forums - work on tc_meridian resumes. I think the changes might have been implemented by request - the goal of Shmitz & Co. is to include tc_meridian as the community map in the next update (a.k.a. the Scout pack), I don't know how far they came in the talks with Valve.

de 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 12:43 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
the goal of Shmitz & Co. is to include tc_meridian as the community map in the next update
Arrr... that would be awesome. Only played the last minutes of the map in one round, but the look is simply wow.

ro 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 12:51 
The Necromancer (4970)
Yeah, but as Spike noted back in the day it was pretty much unplayable without an intelligence indicator (huh? ;-). Multiple paths to the flag rooms, which are a good thing in a normal scenario, made flag carriers absolutely unstoppable if you didn't know where they were going and didn't have a perfectly organized team (rare for FFA) and that led to 30-second rounds of pure chaos. ;-)

ro 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 13:31 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
Nice update!
Next, please. ^_^

pl 
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2009, 16:12 
Has no REAL life! (1715)
I love that fix:
Code:
Fixed teleporter entrance/exit effects being drawn when they don't have a matching teleporter entrance/exit
I spend waaay to much time waiting for teleporter that just isnt there :shock: :mrgreen: