Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:14

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: Internet problems ;(
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 22:15 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Ok so I am getting rather annoying internet problems, and I think it is my router dieing on me but im not sure. It says the downstream line speed is fine 4000-5200mbps (when I check on the router status online, which is good for my area), but the actual speed I am getting is about 60kB/s max download speed (tested on my download manager), normally my download manager gets downloads to about 340kB/s. My ping is 150+ on every server on tf2, css etc...

Also this only started happening after my router turned itself off for a few hours then just came back to life, this could have just been a loose connection, but thats why I made this thread.

Does anyone know how I could test if my router is the problem, without using another router (mainly because I don't have another one) ^^ I can't just plug the internet cable straight into my computer to test it either. I'm using the main telephone plug thingy + a microfilter thing.

I think I will just switch my parents over to BT since I can get a nice telephone + broadband package along with the BT Homehub to replace the old router im using but I want to make sure its the router being crap :3

de 
 Post subject: Re: Internet problems ;(
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 10:27 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
a) Call your ISP to check your line. I had some difficulties twice and the tech support told me then that my damping was way to high for my DSL in hightraffic times. So call them to be sure that's not their fault.

b) Spend some money to buy a good router. Had some problems with the one provided by my ISP after around a year. Replacing it with a shiny Linksys helped a lot.

c) Blame Saint for braking your internet.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 11:09 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
My router has been good (netgear) but is getting old now :( Thats why I was thinking of switching to BT just to get the homehub :ugly: but I think they limit traffic even on their unlimited option, which sucks balls.

I contacted my ISP but they like to ignore technical problems so I'm going to ring them when I have the time.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 11:31 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
My router has been good (netgear) but is getting old now :( Thats why I was thinking of switching to BT just to get the homehub :ugly: but I think they limit traffic even on their unlimited option, which sucks balls.

I contacted my ISP but they like to ignore technical problems so I'm going to ring them when I have the time.
the BT homehub has been fine with me so far, I've been with them since February. I switched over from a netgear too and there's been nothing to complain about so far

and as far as I can tell, they don't actually limit your traffic; if you're on the limited download package (which I am) and you happen to exceed the limit, they just charge you a bit more (20p per GB or something, it might even be less)

eu 
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 13:09 
Getcha' Pull (402)
Scatterbrain/ETMI wrote:
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
laalaa
more laalaa
I'm guessing that we are talking about the "fair usage" policy here. It means that they will throttle your BW down if you download too much in peak prime time. Ie. from 9 am to 7 pm.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 15:35 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Yeah, which is silly if you pay for an unlimited service :(

Anyway I just replaced my microfilter and it seems to have done the trick, although I think I am being slapped about by my ISP...

What's an IP profile? Is it something on the line that limits the speed you get? Mine is as 3000 kbps eventhough my line speed down is 5408 kbps... So my actual throughput is 2800 kbps, I want it higher :cry: These are all according to speedtest.bt, which my ISP told me to do and send them the information.

At least my latency is back to being nearly normal :D My gaming addiction can continue!

gr 
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 16:40 
Doesn't get out much (337)
No, your not done
someguy wrote:
c) Blame Saint for braking your internet.
now you are

[SpA]DrMcMoist

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2009, 18:58 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Damn it Saint! No more cookies for you, blackhawk will get your share :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 02:20 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (136)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
What's an IP profile? Is it something on the line that limits the speed you get? Mine is as 3000 kbps eventhough my line speed down is 5408 kbps... So my actual throughput is 2800 kbps, I want it higher :cry: These are all according to speedtest.bt, which my ISP told me to do and send them the information.
From my isp's website:

"The Downstream Rate is the speed that your kit connects to the exchange at. Unless you are on a fixed rate product (512k 1MB or 2MB) this will always be the highest possible speed up to a maximum of 8MB. If there is a problem with your line or equipment, this can and will vary.

The IP Profile is the speed your throughput is restricted to, BT believe that this is the fastest speed that you can receive whilst also receiving a stable connection. You will never see throughput speeds higher than the IP Profile and this will never be higher than the downstream rate.

2. Low IP Profile
If the IP profile is much lower than the downstream rate, your line speed will have dipped recently. An IP profile will reduce quickly if a line becomes unstable, but will not increase until the line has been stable for at least 3 days.

Often this is a symptom of a connection problem. A dropping line will keep the IP Profile at a much lower rate than it would be usually. If this is happening then report the fault as an dropping connection problem."

My downstream rate was shown as 7500 kbps, and I had an IP profile of 2000 kbps for ages thus limiting me to 1900kbps or so. After bombarding the support team with loads of info it changed one-day to 6000 and no probs since.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 10:37 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Ah ok, because I pay for 8mbps, my downstream connection (on my router) says its at a minimum of 4400kbps, it often goes as high as 5200kbps, but my IP profile is only 3000kbps. My ISP say that to get my full speed I have to upgrade to another package, eventhough my current package is up to 8mbps... arseholes.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2009, 12:02 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (136)
That's bs and has nothing to do with upgrading package.

Vote with your feet.