Post subject: Re: Lag
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 02:19 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Spotify wrecks a lot of internetz

nl 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 10:08 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Haven't read all, but is it dsl? Or cable? Usually, ppl around you going online shouldn't affect it so much you get fokked. Well, at least over here we don't have that problem anymore for over a good 10 years or something? You see, it does pay off not to live in a 3rd world country :P

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 10:15 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
So true bucky, so true :(

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 10:18 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
Spotify? People downloading small files but using all your bandwitdh?
probably one of these two; if there is, I don't think there's much I can do to stop it :/
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
A good router shouldn't have problems with other parties using the interwebz.
I don't think the BT homehub qualifies as a good router ;D I do still have a decent-ish Netgear router lying around which I could try out, but it's been a real hassle in the past to set up and I'm doubtful that it'll be a major improvement.
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
Haven't read all, but is it dsl? Or cable? Usually, ppl around you going online shouldn't affect it so much you get fokked. Well, at least over here we don't have that problem anymore for over a good 10 years or something? You see, it does pay off not to live in a 3rd world country :P
(A)DSL, sadly. I know that I shouldn't expect too much from a copper wire connection out in the back end of nowhere, but sometimes it's just plain stupid how bad it is.

edit: fun fact, I'm about 3km from my exchange in a straight line, although it's probably alot more than that because going in a straight line would involve going over a cliff, under the sea and all the way down a beach. yay for being in a backwards country!

nl 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 11:17 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Oy, I had that same problem with my dsl connection, it had to run through the streets for about 2,5 clicks, that resulted in a max download speed of 800kbyte per second. The ping was good though, I had a better ping then I do now. Problems were when they fully opened my line, my computer tried downloading the files at around 1 mb per second and that made my line disconnecting and connecting over and over again, at a certain point that was a few times per minute. They finally downgraded my line so it could only download at 800kbyte a second max, that solved the disconnecting and reconnecting. At a line measure, they discovered I was just in the marge of what db my line should get, hearing your complaint, I think you aren't in the margin of what it should be, although I doubt BT will give a rats ass about margins. Could be that the quality of your line is crap and should be replaced.
My solution at the time was going over to cable, that results in a 5 megabyte per second download speed, a 3megabit upload, a 80 mbit download and 5 mbit up in octobre and costing me around 64,95 euros per month. It's not cheap, but I get da bomb diggy diggy bomb download speed with it :lol:
Solution for you: flee your country :P or bomb BT ( probably won't help you, but it'll ease your pain :P )

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 12:03 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
even if I wanted to complain about it to BT I couldn't do it effectively - I would end up on the phone for 3 hours with someone in India telling me to check my firewall :66

solution for now: wait till uni, I guess :<

nl 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 13:52 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Oh yeah, forgot to mention it, but suddenly came aware of it, you could also have an auto update on your computer or on someone else's computer fucking the whole thing up. Like a java update (which usually ain't big) or a windows update, or anything that downloads a lot from the net with certain time intervals.
Or your own virus scanner.

se 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 16:27 
Has no REAL life! (1168)
to as something i can paly without lags...when 2 others and me is on the wireless

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 16:45 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
ok, some success!

I can put the worst of the lag down to spotify being used on other pc's on the network. so, I'm using netlimiter to constrict spotify, to the point where it can still stream music just fine and my ping has gone down from being at 300+ to normal levels while spotify is in use. my choke, however, remains at a solid 50-60 in tf2. I'm guessing that this is just bad routing, but any more ideas as to how I might improve it? I haven't touched my rates, and choke is fine when spotify isn't being used.

de 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 11:02 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Buy a decent router. :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 18:02 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
watch this space

random guy in the server today told me to set my rates to 60000 and it might just have cured everything. maybe. haven't tried it much yet but it looks promising! :4

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2009, 18:42 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
should be 50000, am I right brutha!

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 20:47 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
what are the sv and var reading on the bottom row of net_graph 4? they go haywire when I get lagspikes. more to the point, it happens even if I'm playing in a private servers (not online). I'm pretty certain that's new, but it probably means it's fixable.

weirdly, my fps seems to now be part of the. it was always reading solid 60 but now it can drop to like 20, all of a sudden :s