PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 09:20 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8078322.stm

gb 
 Post subject: Re: Project Natal
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 09:58 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
I just saw this.

it's beyond freaky, actually. is the future going to be that we just have relationships with computers and not with real people?

it could be cool if it could be used for 'real' games, but... yeah. it's more disturbing than cool imo.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 09:59 
Nerdish, tbh. (416)
Thats taking humin input devices to the extream... want catch me boning a DVD drive

de 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 10:35 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
The video doesnt load for me, but I think I found the video somewhere else: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09 ... milo/50015

Impressive, but I wonder how interactive that demo really is. Computers cant do things nobody thaught them after all.

fr 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 11:25 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (110)
Dekar wrote:
Computers cant do things nobody thaught them after all.
We're walking a fine line here. Computers can, with present technology, "reprogram" themselves based on previous reactions to their interactions, and that's the fuel for many sci-fi books about programs flipping out and suddenly reprogramming for world domination. It's still eons away from a computer being sentient but who knows where we're going.

That's another subject tho, this is but a demo and there's indeed nothing telling us this was all acted. I doubt they're as advanced as they pretend to be. This is from the creator of Fable after all ^^

gr 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 11:54 
Doesn't get out much (337)
Dekar wrote:

"Ah - there isn't enough neurotoxin to kill you, so I guess you win. Ha - I'm making more! That's going to take a few minutes though. Meanwhile - oh look, it's your old pal the rocket turret."

Valve mustn't port this to Natal....

[SpA]DrMcMoist

ro 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 13:00 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
Artificial Intelligence is a very new and complex science. It's a compendium of 9-10 other domains of research(phylosophy, mathematics, linguistics, cs, knowledge representation etc) but the progress done so far is amazing.
Right now the only true and strict impediment in developing complex rational agents is hardware related. If we'd come up with a way of developing a computer system the size of a briefcase capable or rivalling a human brain in calculation power tomorrow, then we'd have hollywood robots in front of us, doing our chores or cracking our skulls as the popular apocalyptic scenerio goes.

As it is, the most powerful computational systems in the world today cannot rival in any way a human brain, even a mediocre one. But if Moore's Law stays true for the next 50 years as it has these past 50 then we might just live to see such a system developed.
Quote:
Computers can, with present technology, "reprogram" themselves based on previous reactions to their interactions
This is hardly "present", the programing language capable of such is dated all the way back to 1958, it's called LISP and it is still the high-level programming language used in developing AI.
Dekar wrote:
Don't confuse the computer you have in front of you with a rational agent, a "smart" system. They are built differently and work differently on every level possible.
Knowledge Representation can take the world as you see it and think it and put it in 0s and 1s. Yes, it's that powerful. The only thing it cannot represent is what you may call human nature, the thing that makes be and act irrational so often.
To give ya a small example, one of the questions for an AI exam I took was: When is it rational for an agent(robot) to play the lottery?
You don't tell him to play or not to play, or when to do it, you just make sure he can make the best decission according to the information he has and the math numbers he can come up with when processing decissional trees (how one choice leads to another and so on). And by making sure I mean designing him properly.

dk 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 13:36 
Geek (877)
I want this. Just a girl. With big tits. And then force her to strip for me. Then rape her. Oh yeah...

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 13:47 
Has no REAL life! (5288)

de 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 14:07 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Im aware of the fact that there is learning AI, but they are years away from an AI that acts human no matter what you do with it. I just didnt want to create a discussion about this what funnily happened because I tried to evade it. :ugly:

pl 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 14:14 
Has no REAL life! (1715)
For now it looks more like Wii without controllers, not human AI ;)

gr 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 14:53 
Quote:
....I sat down while my MTV Multiplayer blog successor Russ Frushtick tried the next part of the Milo demo. He stood in front of the TV as Milo approached him and then, using his hands to make goggles over his face, he initiated an EyeToy-style novelty. He waved his hands to make the water ripple. (Molyneux told us that you can also help Milo build a treehouse.)

I looked away from the TV to ask Molyneux what I should make of this Milo project. Is it really right to think of it as a game? He said it had to be. It had to have a goal and even an ending, he said. At its most basic he said that we could think of Milo as a Tamagotchi but that it would be much more advanced and magical than those old virtual pets ever were.

Molyneux had me wrap up the demo by approaching Milo again. He asked me to call Milo over by saying my own name and acting happy. Milo walked up to me and complimented me on my blue shirt (my shirt was indeed blue). Then he stood there, waiting for me to say things. There was a little awkwardness here. The Milo demo was partially being manipulated by a developer who was sitting nearby, and I couldn't tell if he was merely calibrating the game or how much he was pulling its strings. I said nice things to Milo and the virtual boy smiled. I said I was standing next to Peter Molyneux and he sort of sighed. The most charming moment was that blue-shirt moment. It felt like this virtual person made a connection with me.
http://kotaku.com/5275204/testing-molyn ... -yes-a-dog

[SpA]DrMcMoist

fr 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 15:24 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
Don't believe anything Peter Molyneux says.
He and his big ideas... it happened several already times already with him, always announcing some radical new thing, but when it's actually released, you see that there's nothing really new about it and that it doesn't work as well as advertised.

ro 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 16:00 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
Quote:
He and his big ideas... it happened several already times already with him, always announcing some radical new thing, but when it's actually released, you see that there's nothing really new about it and that it doesn't work as well as advertised.
That's not true. Magic Carpet, Populous, Dungeon Keeper and B&W all had innovations, quite a lot of them. Sure, the games had flaws and never quite delivered all that was promised but that doesn't wipe all the good stuff away. Even Fable turned out to be a nice game despite failing at the whole life-cicle gameplay.

That being said though, this project sounds a lot like Spore, promising exceptional AI but delivering heavy scripting.

ro 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 16:06 
The Necromancer (4970)
I'm with Sebas on this one - pretty much everything he did in Bullfrog was ace.

Even nowadays he TRIES to innovate but his ideas are too big given the time and budget limits. I think he's a really positive figure in the video game industry and is always very open with video game journalists. He also isn't dishonest or sneaky - yes, he says a lot of bullshit that doesn't make it into his games but it's only because he's so passionate about what he does, not because he's a liar.

fr 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 16:32 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
I didn't say he lies intentionally. It's obvious that he would really like those games to work the way he imagines them. They simply never do. I'm not saying that those were bad games, on the contrary, most of them were great and I've had a lot of fun playing them. But experience has taught me, not to take those kind of announcements from Peter Molyneux literally.

For example, the crap with the blue t-shirt in the Kotaku preview: it's so obvious that this kind of behaviour is a simple script and has nothing to do with "intelligence" at all.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 16:36 
Geek (778)
[SpA]demm wrote:
it's so obvious that this kind of behaviour is a simple script and has nothing to do with "intelligence" at all.
They should stop now, has no body SEEN terminator?!

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 16:48 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
An easy test would be to draw a really shit fish and feed it in and see if he says its helpful, or not helpful at all :3

ro 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 16:57 
The Necromancer (4970)
[SpA]demm wrote:
I didn't say he lies intentionally. It's obvious that he would really like those games to work the way he imagines them. They simply never do. I'm not saying that those were bad games, on the contrary, most of them were great and I've had a lot of fun playing them. But experience has taught me, not to take those kind of announcements from Peter Molyneux literally.

For example, the crap with the blue t-shirt in the Kotaku preview: it's so obvious that this kind of behaviour is a simple script and has nothing to do with "intelligence" at all.
Ah OK - so you basically say not to take Peter seriously. Well - then we're on the same page here. :-D
Ironically his excitement about everything he does hurts his games quite a lot because they are usually totally overhyped - but as long as they sell well...

de 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 18:16 
Geek (856)
I am looking forward to it. If some true good games will be released for Natal I would consider rebuying a X360.

Oh yes and finally a game which is not based on big tits!

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 18:53 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]Voegelchen wrote:
I am looking forward to it. If some true good games will be released for Natal I would consider rebuying a X360.

Oh yes and finally a game which is not based on big tits!
There will no doubt be games made with that in mind though :3

no 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 18:54 
Has no REAL life! (1242)
[SpA]Voegelchen wrote:
finally a game which is not based on big tits!
WHAT?..... I refuse to buy this....

[SpA]Mint "IN.... MY....PANTS"

[SpA]Minimoose "Revenge is going to jump out of your pants?"

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 21:14 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
An easy test would be to draw a really shit fish and feed it in and see if he says its helpful, or not helpful at all :3
I would draw him a pic of a big floppy cock and see if he thought that was helpful.

Then I'd put my foot through the TV. Then I'd slap Peter Molyneux and tell him to stop force feeding us this bullshit.

I'm sick of his shit, I really am.

gr 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 21:41 
Millo game =
but i prefer something with boobs

[SpA]DrMcMoist

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 23:07 
Has no REAL life! (1620)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
Ah OK - so you basically say not to take Peter seriously. Well - then we're on the same page here. :-D
Ironically his excitement about everything he does hurts his games quite a lot because they are usually totally overhyped - but as long as they sell well...
He's really nice though and the child like enthusiasm really helps the industry. A friend of mine worked at lionhead a while back, they were litterly trying to do everything he said and then demo'ing the tech to the other studios who'd try to match it. Even if he never delivers I feel better that the world has on guy with the ambition of Molyneux.

ro 
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 23:12 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
Some people are still passionate in an industry that's developed so much towards a corporate business. That's refreshing and good.

ru 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009, 11:00 
Has no REAL life! (2026)
Milo:"hai there"
???:"hai"
Milo: "im sad"
???:"Oh no whys that?"
Milo:"..."
???:"Please you can talk to me"
Milo: "Turns out Im a computer generated peice of coding and am not real! All these fish! Bollocks! My book just where I need it! Bollocks! Im just some kind of advanced interactive loading screen between pointless minigames of touch the fish, talk with the spackkid and do his homework!"
???: "Yeh your right, you are a bit pointless, why can't I just use a menu and keep all these awkward silences between us where they belong, with strangers outside this room"
Milo: "God damn, cant wait to get rid of me eh? well screw you"
*Tantrum ensues*
???: "Shut up dipshit"
*Pretends to hit, thrice*
Milo: "..."
*Milo bleeds from the head*
*The Xbox is turned off and buried*

???: "...Well that taught me how to look after kids and it was thoroughly pointless"

Joseph fritzl is done with the xbox.. for now.

N.B. looks like its a big fat pile of fail.

nl 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009, 17:01 
Has no REAL life! (2359)
afaik it isn't a game. It was just a tech demo to show some possibilities. Sure some of the stuff you have seen might make it into games. But AFAIK Milo is a tech demo and not a game.

fr 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009, 17:47 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (110)
Commercial here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkSV1rXJ0pU

de 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009, 17:50 
Has no REAL life! (3426)
Dark wrote:
haha~ to quote sum1 @ youtube "Nintendo Owned" xD