Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:41

All times are UTC+02:00

dk 
 Post subject: [BF] Battlefield 1943
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 12:16 
So long and thanks for all the fish! (1771)
...It's fricking awesome :O

JuncoPartner: I could barely hold it up for long.

nl 
 Post subject: Re: Battlefield 1943
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 12:35 
Has no REAL life! (1359)
its out already?

dk 
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 12:59 
So long and thanks for all the fish! (1771)
Yeah, it has been for a while.... And it's cheap aswell.... 10 Euros!

JuncoPartner: I could barely hold it up for long.

md 
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 13:06 
Nerdish, tbh. (461)
Out on X360 and PS3 maybe :P september release for the pc version (don't know the exact date :( ) i'm going to buy it for sure :D

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 13:11 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Played it a little on the PS3, it's bloody amazing, can't wait for it to come out for the PC

nl 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 20:41 
SpA Fookah (4459)
If rumors are true, this is gonna suck big time for the pc. I'm not a fan of small maps and small battles when it comes down to Battlefield. BF2 gives you battles and maps for 64 ppl, turning this down low to 24 max or something is just bollocks :?

ro 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 22:00 
The Necromancer (4970)
These aren't rumors, it will be (/is) indeed 24 player only and the console and PC versions will be identical in that regard. The only difference is that PC owners will get one additional map from the beginning while the console versions will receive it later.

I *may* have some additional impressions on it *cough cough* even if I don't have a console - I don't think they need to be kept secret since the console versions are out already. Basically the "feel" of the patented Battlefield gameplay has been preserved and e.g. Wake Island is an almost exact clone of the BF2 Wake Island map layout-wise (well, obviously). There are fewer players but on the other hand you respawn quicker. The recharging health mechanic might be detrimental to realism BUT leads to more dynamic rounds, since you no longer need to wait for a medic to heal you after a fight and a skilled player can survive for quite a while. Also, your ammo supplies never run out. Sadly this makes the teamplay aspect less important... But at the same time the game is more accessible and you are no longer dragged down as much by having a loser team who doesn't know how to support each other with health and ammo. The maps don't feel small at all, even when flying a plane - perhaps because the WWII aircraft are much slower.

All in all I have no problems at all with the gameplay alone.

My main criticism would be the graphics. They're HORRIBLE. Not because they look bad from a technical standpoint but because the art design is utter trash. Everything looks SO plasticky with the ocean having been filled with blue Curacao and the hills and trees resembling a children's inflatable castle.

Of course die-hard Battlefield fans will surely complain about the changes Dice has made to the series but for a player who has never been that much in love with it (I still played BF2 for a year or so) it is a solid title and a game we should probably be looking out for when it comes to hosting.

nl 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 22:06 
Community slut (13473)
are there squads and commanders?

ro 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 22:23 
The Necromancer (4970)
There are squads (so there's of course a squad-spawn too) but no commander... On one hand the no-commander thing again takes away from the teamplay BUT there's no need for supply crates (infinite ammo/health) or radar sweeps (enemies light up on everybody's map if they are spotted by at least one player, who doesn't need to use the "spotted" command or anything anymore - it's automatic) and airstrikes are available to ANY player who enters a small radar-dish building. They're quite fun to do, since you're directly steering a wing of bombers which can even be taken down by AA guns, so you have to do a certain amount of evasion. :-D

So basically a successful team relies less on following a good commander's orders and can use any good player giving instructions instead - at least there isn't an additional man "down", who isn't directly involved in fighting, which would be disastrous in 24-player only conflicts.

To preemptively answer something: if anybody complains about the gameplay having been simplified and dumbed down - you will be right. However, if you're asking if the game is fun, then I'd answer that it still is and the increased accessibility means that it could potentially attract more players in our community, since very few play BF2, even if they have it. ^^

P.S. Don't fret too much over BF1943 - BF3 is in the works and you can treat this title as a small intermission to keep players occupied, since it'll take another year or two before another "full" BF will be released. There's also the upcoming BF: Bad Company 2 to be released in 2010 but it will be very similar gameplay-wise to this one, if you remember what BF:BC 1 was like (pretty much exactly the same gameplay changes, 24 players and such).

nl 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2009, 23:00 
SpA Fookah (4459)
screw this, after all i read, there's not much convincing me to buy this game... I'm almost sure I won't...

md 
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2009, 16:11 
Nerdish, tbh. (461)
Battlefield 1943 PC release delayed until 2010 but at least the maximum player count will be 32 :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2009, 18:12 
Geek (695)
It's a simple mans BF2, good game though.