Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:30

All times are UTC+02:00

ro 
 Post subject: Re: HoN general thread
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 14:40 
The Necromancer (4970)
:-D
I got owned by CrackHead and Goudvis just now in 1on1. I'm slowly starting to get the hang of it - the first match was epic fail, the second one was slightly better. In the end it wasn't a close call on any account but I knew exactly why I lost in certain cases and it was because I failed at remembering to use items or skills in the heat of battle. ;-)

Prime example - Goudvis is chasing me down and it was quite early in the game. He doesn't deal too much damage but I still realize I won't make it back to the tower before dying. In the last 3 seconds I suddenly see that I have Runes of the Blight in my inventory, which I should have used LONG before, since they work over time. Panicking, I use them in the last second before dying which results in BOTH my death AND wasting the item. It went on and on like this. :-P

gb 
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 15:58 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Quote:
Runes of the Blight

nl 
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 17:01 
Has no REAL life! (1439)
healing item :)

BTW. Im not that experienced, but i do know where and when(usually) to choose my battles. The whole thing is. Yes guides can help, but i didnt even follow the guide and the thunderbringer guide is actually PRECISELY the same as I use.

And the scout spec I used on Limmy on the 2nd 1on1 I actually killed him in 5 seconds flat. Also a spec i didnt look up. And it works like a charm, but it differs a bit from the guides online.

nl 
 Post subject: Re: [HoN] General thread
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 20:15 
Has no REAL life! (1439)
How about some 1 on 1 rapeage? Im sick so u guys will have an advantage on me.

de 
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 21:22 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
So do I get the gameplay right:

1. Buy some stuff
2. Kill some creeps / enemies
3. Level up and get some gold
4. If you're not uber yet, go back to 1.
5. Destroy enemy camp

Ye?

be 
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 22:03 
Has no REAL life! (1254)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:

1. Buy some stuff
5. Destroy enemy camp

Ye?
Add 'get raped' between every one of those items and you're spot on.

ro 
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 22:15 
The Necromancer (4970)
[SpA]Mr Orange wrote:
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:

1. Buy some stuff
5. Destroy enemy camp

Ye?
Add 'get raped' between every one of those items and you're spot on.
Ha, ha, ha! So true - especially in my case. ^^

And remember that this algorithm applies both to you and the enemy, so basically the team that gets more cycles in, wins. :-D

P.S. Some heroes are more uber early in the game, so they should repeat step 2 all the time, preferably the "enemies" part. ^^

ro 
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 02:06 
The Necromancer (4970)
OK - small bump.

Crackhead, futari and I left the SpA clan in HoN. I encourage everybody to do so as well for reasons I will outline below. We weren't able to get a good game for 2 hours because people were just looking at the fact that we have the same clantag, not our skill rating. They kept kicking us or locking us in teams with like 80%:20% gameplay imbalance.

We only have 3 semi-good and experienced players in HoN, rarely online at the same time, and LOADS of newbies (i.e. me, with a K:D ratio of 0.4 and more losses than wins ;-) - wearing clantags doesn't provide us with any benefits whatsoever and considering how all beta accounts will be deleted on release anyway it doesn't matter what stats we have etc. - I actually look forward to playing the game with my stats reset after it's released, preferably on Steam. ^^

de 
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 11:11 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Haha.. I didn't even find where to enter the clan. :ugly:

nl 
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 12:06 
Has no REAL life! (2546)
You had to be invited, and I ragequit before I could leave the clan. Will do so later~
It's nice and all to be in the same clan.. but maybe an option to not show tags would be great..

ro 
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 13:18 
The Necromancer (4970)
[SpA]futari wrote:
You had to be invited, and I ragequit before I could leave the clan. Will do so later~
It's nice and all to be in the same clan.. but maybe an option to not show tags would be great..
I guess the inability to hide tags is there to avoid "smurfing" - a popular tactic in any given game that has auto-ranked matches.
Speaking of auto-ranked matches - I find it annoying that HoN keeps track of your stats no matter what. I prefer a dual system in which you can either choose to play a casual non-ranked match or a "so serious it hurts" ranked one.

It's the inability to turn off stats-tracking that makes the HoN (and DotA, and WC3, and StarCraft - and so forth) community so toxic and full of pro-kiddie idiots. It's semi-understandable that people get pissed off when an inexperienced player drags the whole team down but at the same time there absolutely no way whatsoever to learn the game without playing real "live" games so you just have to suck it up - reading guides can only get you so far, e.g. I knew the builds, I knew the skills, but in the heat of battle absolutely failed to execute everything properly.

nl 
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009, 18:38 
Has no REAL life! (1439)
This is something i would like 2 get off my chest, ahem....

ISNT THERE ANY1 ALSE PLAYING HoN except me and lim?

nl 
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009, 18:57 
Has no REAL life! (2546)
VillageCrackHead wrote:
ISNT THERE ANY1 ELSE PLAYING HoN AS MUCH AS me and lim?
fixed~ I do play it but meh I've got loads of games that need my attention and I suck at HoN anyway :3

se 
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2009, 01:28 
Geek (970)
I play sometimes, not very often, perhaps once a week :p
I also just recently this weekend got invited to the League of Legends beta by my brother and currently altering between that and HoN whenever I feel for a MOBA-game... Still, I think I prefer TF2 :)

de 
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2009, 20:20 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Still in the moving process, but I'd be up for some games in a couple of days. :18

nl 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2009, 13:55 
Geek (913)
wow need to post here too!!! invite me GeleGoudvis

ro 
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2009, 21:59 
The Necromancer (4970)
OK, I'm becoming more and more proficient at HoN, as evidenced by my recent "leap" from a skill rating of below 1280-something to over 1400 (for reference: you start with 1500 ;-).

The skill rating system is a bit retarded - when you're a newbie it's easy to earn and lose points and then, as you "level up" your account, the changes are smaller. It makes sense for DotA veterans but when you're a complete newcomer like me you will at first drop in the rankings A LOT and then it will be hard to get back up. With skill ratings like 1200 or even 1300 you will be kicked from games, people won't join your team and stack against you and whatever. The player base in HoN is really nasty sometimes. :-\

So far I haven't really tried out every hero in the game, only some. I think I should stick to several characters like in fighting games, although it's best to pick a couple from each category, so you can counter the enemy team and aren't blocked if somebody "steals" your character.

I am familiar with the following characters now:

Defiler - good early/mid game ganker and mid/late game pusher - late game her role diminishes to clearing out creeps around teamfights with her ultra and silencing enemies. Her damage output becomes negligible. Upside is - people will usually tell you to solo mid with her, so you level up quickly and Defiler isn't killed that easily since she can silence her attackers and heal with her Ultimate, which can be kept up even on the run. I remember a Swiftblade player who kept pestering me throughout the game, trying to follow me with Blade Frenzy, which makes you immune to magic - too bad Defi's ultra deals normal damage. He failed three times in a row and died - "If at first you don't succeed, you fail" ;-)

Swiftblade - One of my favorite carries (heroes that have abilities that scale well with items and deal more damage as the game progresses). He has no stuns, silence or even slows but isn't that weak early in the game, since his blade frenzy can harass enemies quite nicely if you have a good lane partner. Also, it's immensely useful for farming creeps and even late in the game gives you magic immunity for quite a long while, so you can escape fights. His ultimate is lulzy, since it relies on his own attack damage and regardless of the stage of the game deals ridiculous amounts of damage if the enemies don't have creeps around them (since the ultimate attacks random targets). It's so funny to target a greedy enemy who thinks he's got you but separated from the rest with the ultra - instant karma. ;-)

Pestilence - A semi-tank-semi-carry with great mobility and an awesome spammable AoE stun. I usually don't kill that many people with him but get TONS of assists (like 20+ in a game 0_o). His Ultimate reveals stealthed units in addition to lowering their armor for epic Scout and Night Hound pwnage. A great addition to any team, although lots of ranged heroes and/or Arachna can counter him pretty badly, if the enemy knows what he's doing.

Hellbringer - Basically a support hero, who can push very nicely with his ultimate which summons a demon. Late in the game the demon is only good for the initial stun, since he will die in mere seconds. He has lots of spells that retain their usefulness throughout the game though - reducing the enemy's magic armor, slowing them down and even a poison-like spell for early lane harassment.

Soulstealer - Nice hero who is very strong mid-game but becomes less useful with time, IMHO. The only late-game skill he has going for him is the armor reduction on enemies. His ultimate is INSANELY powerful before very, very late in the game but requires good positioning. He has a funny AoE spell that has three separate ranges and three separate cooldowns for them - he can farm creeps like no one in the game. If you need an item, you go out and clear like 2-3 creep waves and have it immediately. If you're good at targeting the spell also reinforces your amazing mid-game ganking potential. First ultimate, which deals like 600 damage to everybody in the area, if you position yourself correctly, and then some Dark Hands - you can bring down any hero in mere seconds. Ah - he has this "Soulsteal" ability too, which increases his damage and feeds his ultimate. For every enemy/creep he kills, he gets +2 damage (up to +60). If you're good at last hitting/denying, you are absolutely epic in the middle lane - the better you are at last hitting/denying initially, the easier it becomes later.

Madman - Currently my favorite carry. He deals INSANE damage mid-late game and also has a stun ability that both helps your team and makes it virtually impossible for the enemy to escape. His only weakness is being less useful early in the game and being hopeless at lane pushing.

Slither - A good early/mid game harasser/ganker and late-game pusher. His ultimate is crazy early-mid game but can't kill targets - only bring them down to 1 hp. I haven't played him for a while, so I don't remember him that much.

Pharaoh - Again, haven't played him for a while but I remember him as being quite lulzy. He requires a LOT of precise timing and targeting and good multitasking abilities, since he has 4 active spells, one of which he can cast at ANY location on the map. Definitely a hero I want to learn properly some day, since he is quite nice in ganks throughout the game because of the funny ring of mummies snare and his stuns. He can also defend a lane without being in it with his aforementioned infinite range spell.

----

Now to the "bad" heroes. That is, heroes I have tried and failed with - not necessarily bad themselves (with the exception of Night Hound ;-)

Thunderbringer - I might try him out again some day, Crackhead is awesome with him. I'm not in the right mind-set for him though since he is basically a "hero sniper". A good Thunderbringer player should be able to amass more kills than probably any other hero in the game and make the enemy team lose simply by the constant drain on their money. I like to have him on my team, fear him on the enemy's team if he's good but personally absolutely suck with him. ;-)

Night Hound - Oh God, a typical noob hero. I was like everyone else, going "OMFGWTFBBQ, he can be invisible permanently", however, experienced teams will have means to detect him and he is much, much less useful than almost any other carry in the game. At least he has this AoE slow/silence spell but I rarely see people falling for it - they simply quickly disperse. He doesn't have stuns, doesn't deal epic amounts of damage like other carries, sucks at pushing and very often ends up being in a team with lots of kills but which still loses the whole game.

Jerziah - Another of these "I need to learn him" heroes. A good Jereziah is often what makes or breaks a game. He is a good pusher and arguably the best support hero/tank in the game but you have to know how to play him. I saw Jereziahs who couldn't be killed despite 4 people targeting him, sadly I'm not one of them. Early in the game he's an awesome lane partner, late in the game he is good at pushing and keeping everybody alive in team fights.

Electrician - Supposedly a good early game harasser, for me he was a good early gamer funeral. With experienced teams (and clueless enemies) he can be a good disabler and tank but I don't get him, neither do I really want to.

----

Heroes I've seen people do wonders with:

Valkyrie - Seems a good ranged carry with stuns and escaping abilities. Also a pushing spell. For pure hero killing Arachna seems to be the better choice then.

Zephyr - If you know what you're doing he can literally turn into an unkillable death machine mid-late game. I had the fortune of playing with a very good one - both on the same team and against me - and he carried the team he was on to victory on both occasions. Then again I saw people fail with him a lot too. ;-)

Behemoth - A popular choice due to his mass stun abilities - and they allow you to cut off an enemy from escaping too. Probably the best gank initiator in the game. If you are laning against Behemoth and somebody calls that middle lane is missing, then chances are you will be ganked. If nobody calls miss, then you are most likely dead. ;-)

Arachna - Definitely the best ranged carry in the game. She wreaks HAVOC among melee heroes and makes sure that no one will ever escape a gank without some kind of blinking ability.

Puppet Master - Good disabler. Has some pushing ability too. His voodoo puppet skill is nice but your team mates have to know how to use it (attack the puppet instead of the target it's been cast on). He fails or wins depending on how good the rest of the team is.

Glacius - Has an aura that enhances mana regen ON THE WHOLE MAP for his team. Is relatively underpowered but his team-mates LOVE him. He can also disable a bit in ganks, so he's overall a nice support hero.

Succubus - BEWBS! Just ask YellowGoudvis how awesome she is. He transformed from Magebane failure into instant team-hero in a matter of like two matches. Her disables are INSANE and she can basically win any 1on1 duel you throw at her, provided she isn't taken by surprise and has enough mana/skills not in cooldown.

Accursed - Basically like Jereziah with completely different skills and yet similar results. One of the best support heroes/tanks in the game. A good Accursed usually makes or breaks the game but doesn't get many kills.

Magmus - Don't get me started. Like someone on the forums once wrote, his strategy involves "rolling your face on the keyboard; everybody dies". ;-)
Definitely have to learn him. An INSANELY powerful early/mid game hero, who still has some potential because of his stuns later in the game. I should learn him.

----

Heroes I've mostly seen people fail with:

Scout - Scout, SCOUT, S C O U T! Seriously! I have seen very good Scout players, who placed lots of wards, SCOUTED (*doh*) the map for ganks/gank opportunities and helped their team to the best of their ability but most of the players just sit there invisible and wait for somebody's HP to get into red territory only to kill-steal. Then they vote to concede lost games in which they still have like a 2:1 K:D ratio. ;-)
GET THE FUCK OUT! :-P
If you're a newbie NEVER EVER pick Scout. He is very easy to play as if you ONLY care for your K:D ratio and team losses don't bother you but he actually is FAR better in the hands of an expert who knows how to play the game with other heroes. You will never learn how to play HoN properly by using only Scout - AND on top of that experienced teams will absolutely OWN you when they start to carry means to detect invisible heroes.

Magebane - The reason why Goudvis has such a low skill rating. ;-)
Seriously - he probably the weakest early-game hero there is and even late in the game other carries are FAR better. I've never ever seen a victory that was brought on mainly by Magebane but I've seen people fail with him badly.

Chronos - A VERY late game carry. Usually his team either wins or loses by the time he manages to get his optimal gear - then he becomes an unstoppable force of nature. Before that, uhm, game over man, game over. You can be successful with him in pub games which tend to drag on for quite a while if the rest of the team is competent enough to play 4vs5 (figuratively speaking) for 75% of the game. ;-)
What I'm basically saying is: you are unlikely to see someone exclaim: "Wow, we wouldn't have won if it weren't for Chronos!". ;-)

Legionnaire - I think there really are far better tanks than him and his insta-kill ultimate requires good battle orientation. Needless to say I usually see people failing with him although he's a good pusher and a good early game laner.

Phew - what a lengthy post. :-D

P.S. Your mileage might vary if you're playing a lot of 1on1 matches or easy mode, neither of which is the "real" HoN. *wink at you know who you are*. :-P

P.P.S. I'll post it as a blog entry too, so that we have some new content on the front page. ^^

be 
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2009, 22:13 
Has no REAL life! (1254)
Lengthy but very interesting.

When I play (IF I ever play), it's usually with the Demented Shaman. I really, really like his AoE heal that damages multiple enemies depending on how many allied units you've healed with it. Also has a very nice root/snare ability and can be a great addition to a team that likes to take their foes on head on and in numbers.

de 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 13:29 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Still unsure if the game will be to pr0 for me. Not that convinced of it.

ro 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 13:45 
The Necromancer (4970)
If I can get the hang of it despite my absolute distaste with click-fest RTTs and not playing this kind of games very often, then anybody can.

To me DotA/HoN is like a team-based Diablo, all contained in a 30-60 game without any meta-game grinding. As I said earlier I find it more enjoyable than I thought I would.

Blackhawk - start playing instead of theorizing. I saw your stats and you haven't even begun to explore the game. :-P
In the most recent patch a new practice mode has been implemented in which you can try out all the heroes and stuff. Also, this forum is a GREAT place to start:

http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Read the guides, especially the ones aimed at beginners. Hell, even read Hero guides before picking them. Some people think they're too good and smart to follow guides and want to explore the game by themselves BUT for me that's not the way to go, especially since the game isn't actually new, being a DotA clone and all, and "best practices" have been found out long, long ago. A lot of the guides have been written by people who have been playing DotA for years and if you try out stupid stuff for yourself you might be seeing yourself "evolving" in the wrong direction. Learn the basics and tested & tried builds first, adapt them to your own gameplay style later. During the fast paced gameplay you won't have time to figure out stuff solely by yourself and if you are clueless, you will be dragging the whole team down, also slowing your learning process by dying repeatedly without even knowing why.

Many skills aren't self-explanatory and/or have some hidden properties you should be aware of beforehand. If you start picking skills in the wrong order you will be literally useless for the whole game. You CAN learn by failing repeatedly and being insulted by your angry team-mates all the time, but why not give yourself a head-start?

Initially I was literally having guides launched in the Steam overlay for the whole game, checking up on each and every skill or item. Nowadays I only read a guide on a hero once, to get the general impression of what he is like, what items and strategies could work for him, and then build him myself, since I already know the hero-build archetypes. =)

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 14:57 
Has no REAL life! (2546)
Description... overkill... nice read though :D
I'll play some practice games to find my true hero, nice that they added it~

de 
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 18:10 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
1. I've got a complete lack of time due to move and work. In the free time I have to play Evil Genius.

2. I don't like games which require to read guides.

3. Practice mode sounds good.

ro 
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 18:23 
The Necromancer (4970)
Ha, ha, ha, ha!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRtMdPWv ... 26fmt%3D18[/youtube]

Incidentally I've been playing Magmus a lot recently. Of course applying the face-roll technique. ^^
This is an actual thread in the "Guides" section of the HoN forums. :-D

On a more serious note Magmus actually does require above average skill compared to some other heroes to play correctly since he makes use of command queuing to land his Ultimate with Lava Surge (early) and Portal Key (later).

ro 
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 20:57 
The Necromancer (4970)
I am never ever getting another kill. :-D

gb 
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 22:23 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
ah you can always go for 1337

de 
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 22:47 
Pretty useless (61)
Ah, good old HoN...we at the HH have been playing since early(ier) beta, most of us allready stopped playing again, lol.
I even pre-ordered it, about 2 minutes before realizing that I have no more interest in the game...played 1 game since.
Will surely come back to it sooner or later, it's not bad at all, though rage-inducing.

gb 
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 23:43 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
You can normally cancel pre-orders :P

ro 
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 00:27 
The Necromancer (4970)
Not here. :-P

But anyways - if you're playing HoN then it's much more likely that you will manage to get in a game with me than in Street Fighter IV. ^^

What's your nickname?

de 
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 11:26 
Pretty useless (61)
Nah, like I said I dont play it at all atm, can still add me tho of course. Nick is FluffyM.

fi 
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 12:28 
Has no REAL life! (1309)
LOL :ugly: I was banned from the forums because I had bad equipment ingame :mrgreen:

EDIT: Now it doesent say anything about banning?

02:47 <@NabNab> saifon: you so sexy ;)
02:47 <+saifon> D: