Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:20

All times are UTC+02:00

ru 
 Post subject: FastCopy
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 14:48 
Has no REAL life! (2026)
My mate showed me this piece of kit and I gotta say its unbelievably fast, beats window copy hands down.

transfers 5 gigs of info in like 2 mins with ease.

In case you hate waiting for windows... 15 mins... 14 mins.... 17 mins.... 26 mins.... 10 mins.... copy like me :)

http://www.ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

gb 
 Post subject: Re: FastCopy
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 15:26 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Quote:
Fast Copy is a file copier for Windows that has been around for some time. It was recently updated making it an ideal time to review it at Ghacks. Fast Copy comes as a portable application that can be used to copy files in an efficient speedy way. It falls in the same category as programs like TeraCopy which offer the same functionality.

A major difference between the two applications is the fact that Fast Copy does not hijack the original Windows copy, delete and move operations but comes only into play when the user selects the application to handle the transfers. This can be done by loading Fast Copy or adding Fast Copy entries to the right-click context menu. The option for the latter is provided in the program’s options.

Since the usage is not automatic using Fast Copy makes only sense in situations where the user has to copy many files and folders at once, for example when moving the contents of one hard drive to another. It simply takes about five to ten seconds to start the file transfer because the source and destination locations have to be added to the program manually.

The context menu entry is only adding the source location to the program but the destination would still have to be selected manually. Fast Copy uses parallel processing if the source and destination location are on different hard drives and a huge buffer if they are on the same. It comes with a lot of options that can be changed like the buffer size or actions to take if a file exists in the destination.

The command line options might make it usable for batch files that use file operations. It lacks a few of the features that TeraCopy comes with like a queue that offers options to skip files or pause the process.

Fast Copy in its current version can be used in batch files because of its command line parameters and to copy large amount of files. It does not work as a real transfer replacement for Windows and have to leave that field to Teracopy.
Could be useful since I might be getting a new hard drive soon. I might try out Teracopy as well, need to read a review on it though.

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 15:32 
Nerdish, tbh. (455)
hmm tried it out.
I think you can have comparable speed with a proper hd setup:
I downloaded 9 gigs between two disks and the speed in windows and this prog was both 4 minutes.
May bee it is optimal for small file transfer on one disk but if you download to one disk and store on a second you apparently don't loos any speed.

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 15:49 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Hmmm it's supposed to be optimal for large file transfers because it takes more time to set up than a normal copy. Did you copy the files or cut them? I really don't have a clue if that would make a difference between this program and the normal in built copy.

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 16:19 
Nerdish, tbh. (455)
Three seasons of weeds 42 files in total. 9299MB
Like I said I copied between two disks (ctrl-c, ctrl-v)

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 16:51 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
I see, well it seems that it's subjective as for who it works for :)

ru 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 22:33 
Has no REAL life! (2026)
today i transfered 150 gig of files to my external hdd with it in 1 hour 30 mins.

Seems fast... :mrgreen: