Geek (690)
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
compared to 2 raptor disks in raid0;

gb 
 Post subject: Re: Intel X25 SSD
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 20:15 
Geek (975)
Nooooo SSD are evil.

My SSD now resides in my office draw - my Raptor provides all the speed I need. Worst £250 I ever spent.

My SSD was ok at first but then all the problems started, stuttering and really slow write speeds.

There is a big article in PC Format this month about the known issues with SSD - even the Intel suffers after a while.

I really hope yours stays that good Saint - my fingers are crossed.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 22:17 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
A lot of the problems have been cleared up, SSD's have been developing rather quickly :3

si 
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 23:11 
Geek (690)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
A lot of the problems have been cleared up, SSD's have been developing rather quickly :3
I prefer whirring dinosaurs to solid state fossils.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 23:26 
Pretty useless (65)
Compared to a Velociraptor
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
I heard that the Intel SSDs perform worse when they are nearly full. If you could test that SaintK it would satisfy my curiosity. Also this benchmark shows read performance only, I doubt any HDD can beat you at access.
Quick development it may be(before X-25 I trusted no SSD, and after X-25 I trust no other SSD) but no matter how quick, TIME itself is the main variable, so I think there's a point where you must let time decide if a product is (was) good. SSD took the lead over any HDD out there in terms of performance, but now the second half of the race started, where reliability and stability are the prize and this race will take a long time to produce results.

There are other factors that will decide the future as well, like file systems ( i herd NTFS is crap :( ) or data protection (maybe SSDs with raid 1 built-in; disks are getting bigger so at some point we won't be able to afford losing a disk) or simply another invention.

Meanwhile, Maaaaster Lard , I share thy suspicion.

de 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 08:21 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Cant beat my HD!

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 09:45 
Has no REAL life! (5288)

My two basic HDD's (:

fr 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 12:47 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
Saint, I hope you're installing Windows 7 now. Because you really do need it if you want to get the most out of your SSD.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 14:09 
Pretty useless (65)
[SpA]demm wrote:
Saint, I hope you're installing Windows 7 now. Because you really do need it if you want to get the most out of your SSD.
Elaborate Pleaz

fr 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 14:44 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
Well, every Windows version before Windows 7 handles a SSD just like a normal HDD. Obviously those architectures are very different and that means SSDs are slowed down if you use Windows XP and to a lesser extent also Windows Vista.

Here is a comparison between Vista and 7: http://hothardware.com/Articles/Windows ... ed/?page=3
Windows XP would be even slower.

Also keep in mind that you have to manually set up a lot of stuff if you run Windows XP on a SSD. When you format the disk you need to be careful to set the correct offset of the partition (XP defaults to 63 sectors, which means every write command need to span at least 2 blocks. If you use a better offset like 2048 sectors, then you can save yourself half of the needed write operations) Obviously it's too late for SaintK, if he didn't already do that, because this needs to be done on a completely empty drive.
Also, don't forget to disable the automatic defragmentation Windows XP uses.

nl 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 15:04 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]demm wrote:
Negative :mrgreen:

fi 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 15:10 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (132)
xp til death

fr 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 15:26 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
[SpA]demm wrote:
Yeah, you're right. I mean... it's only a 30% performance increase, who needs that?

nl 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 15:54 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]demm wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

Yeah, you're right. I mean... it's only a 30% performance increase, who needs that?
But.... I dun like 7 :|

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 15:55 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]cookye wrote:
xp til death
I would like to see this happen ^^

si 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 16:01 
Geek (690)
Have fun with compatibility with optical computers after 2014.

fr 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 16:14 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Have you actually tried it? What part about it don't you like? You know you can still disable all the fancy UI stuff if you don't like it!

I have to say Windows 7 runs pretty well on my PC. Certainly an improvement over Vista (though I couldn't complain about the speed of Vista on my PC either). Once you're used to all those little usability improvements, going back to XP is a real pain.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 19:05 
Pretty useless (65)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
I would like to join this club too please.
I felt like a stranger in Win7. So many things that I somehow just (irrationally) can't trust. The more I stayed on win7 the more it felt like I lost a friend. After a few days I was seriously homesick; I had to reinstall winXP. It's just so full of familiarity, I know what to expect from it and how it works (or not). I like the feeling of the whole thing. I like the compatibility and the relative simplicity. There are other things too but unfortunately I can't explain them; they are just... there.

People love XP it's a fact. Vista I feel like it was an experiment or a buffer for windows 7. "Hey guys we want to launch a new OS but it might be crap so let's launch a crap before it to study the responses so that we get better chances when we launch the OS itself." Now windows 7 is receiving ovations from everywhere but is it because it cured vista or because it's so much better than xp?

At the end of the day what are the reasons for using anything else instead of your os of choice? 30% SSD improvement? That isn't a lie but does it matter that much when your speeds are already so much higher and possibly having a bottleneck somewhere else? Plus XP loses touch with newer hardware because they don't want to (thoroughly) update it to be compatible. It's not in their interest. Should we still blame xp for that ? :cry:

The biggest argument however is that XP is .... cuter. Image

Here she's destroying your ssd saint >:)

de 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 11:04 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Yeah... technical progress is sooo overrated! I'd love to ride with a horse in full metal armor to work. :ugly:

I don't want 7 because I'm used to XP? Go back to IE6 or Netscape 4.x then! :roll:

ee 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 14:04 
Illiterate (14)
Mythbusters:episode 1337_ssd=shit

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:22 
Pretty useless (65)
Thanks for the link Snuff, it really made me understand SSDs better.
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
Yeah... technical progress is sooo overrated! I'd love to ride with a horse in full metal armor to work. :ugly:

I don't want 7 because I'm used to XP? Go back to IE6 or Netscape 4.x then! :roll:
If XP is a a full metal armor rider on a horse, what is 7? Better armor? Better horse? The point is (and here your browsers example is good) you use the armor & horse suited for the quest you embarked upon. I stopped using ie6 / netscape 4.x (even if i never used them because i started with opera; internet came late in my life, mind you) because they weren't suited anymore. Vulnerabilities and web standards or technologies that weren't supported anymore. The comparison OS - Browser is still unbalanced because an OS is like your home while a browser has a smaller impact.

After I read the (long) article linked by Snuff I do agree SaintK should use win7 because he has SSD. I will probably start using win7 because similar circumstances will force me. But for now my horse and armor seem suitable for my quest... any suggestions why they arent?

nl 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:32 
Community slut (13473)
all reasons combined I'd still don't switch to windows 7. I don't like it. Period. I've "sworn" windows XP will be my last windows version. If i change OS, it won't be windows. Windows is a piece of bloated crap nowadays. Give me back my oldskool windows 95 looks. Let me wreak what i want to wreak.!!.!

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:52 
Pretty useless (65)
Well just make sure you use that TRIM software thingy then. But what else do you want to use? Mac? Linux? SpaOS? And there's the matter of being able to play games ...

ee 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:56 
Illiterate (14)
I also wanted to add that ssd degradation over time,as discussed in several articles,isnt easily achieved and is not that noticable in everyday usage.
I own an samsung mlc 60gb ssd,and after 4 months of usage it still performs the same.
Only benchmarks can show the difference..

As for JediLardMaster's ssd it was propably one of the first ocz disks using a jmicron controller which s@cked,he should have sold the disk while he could :P

fr 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 18:58 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Give me back my oldskool windows 95 looks. Let me wreak what i want to wreak.!!.!
You can have those looks in Windows 7 too!

There are so many convenient functions in Vista, that make it better OS for me than XP. And Windows 7 really improves on that. (e.g. I have 2 soundcards, in Windows XP I can't manage them as nicely as I can in Vista, and Windows 7 handles them even better)
With my PC it really doesn't matter much which of the OSes I use in terms of performance. And though it might be true that Vista might be a few milliseconds slower than XP with certain tasks, those usability improvements easily save me several seconds a day, so all in all I'm still faster.

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 19:40 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
all reasons combined I'd still don't switch to windows 7. I don't like it. Period. I've "sworn" windows XP will be my last windows version. If i change OS, it won't be windows. Windows is a piece of bloated crap nowadays. Give me back my oldskool windows 95 looks. Let me wreak what i want to wreak.!!.!
http://tinyurl.com/n5ydja

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 20:51 
Pretty useless (65)
Wow , you need to patch win7 for the classic look? I somehow thought it's still available by default.

nl 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 20:54 
Community slut (13473)
ZxS wrote:
Wow , you need to patch win7 for the classic look? I somehow thought it's still available by default.
You see, and thats were my entire problem lies.

I don't want to patch up windows with all sorts of crap. I know i'd have to do the same if I'd switch to Linux, but in that case i can actually see whats being patched and done. I am plain tired of the windows design. It's a true horror finding stuff in windows, messing about with the registry, logging options, low level tweaking options and what not. :6