Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:51

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: PS3 and the Monitor.
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 21:04 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Basically, I'm thinking about getting myself a PS3 cause I'm blown away by Uncharted 2. And at this point in time, there's enough games out for it for me to justify a purchase. Not to mention Blu Ray.

Anyway, my problem is, and the reason for my trepidation about buying one right now, is that I only have a monitor in my room. I have no problem hooking my Xbox 360 up to it as Microsoft released a VGA cable with it pretty much on launch. Sony on the other hand, don't seem to have thought this was necessary and so I'm kinda snookered. Obviously I've done the usual internet trawl looking for a third party cable that could do the job but I haven't really came up with any kind of solid solution.

Also I've been searching for maybe some kind of VGA to HDMI splitter box as that would really come in handy but I've come up short on that too.

I guess I was just wondering if anybody here has hooked the PS3 up to a monitor in this way, or has used some kind of method to do so. Somehow I think the answer is going to be no but it's worth a try anyway.

Cheers.

si 
 Post subject: Re: PS3 and the Monitor.
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 21:12 
Geek (690)
use hmdi to dvi and dvi to vga adapters

nothing can go wrong

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 21:13 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
I'm guessing the PS3 is using a HDMI cable. does your monitor have a DVI slot? because I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter for connecting my PC (DVI) to the the HDMI slot in my monitor, and I'm pretty sure it would work the other way round (HDMI -> DVI). not sure if a similar adapter could be got for VGA to HDMI (or vcie versa) though.

I probably couldn't have put that more confusingly if I tried, actually, so here's a pic of the adapter cable I mean. DVI on the left HDMI on the right obv.

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 21:27 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
That's the thing, my monitor is pretty new but I dunno if it uses a DVI input. I doubt it though.

EDIT: Nah I checked it out. It's only VGA.

EDIT EDIT: The thing is, I could probably get an adapter to convert from DVI to VGA but I'm just wondering if the visuals will take a hit if I do this.

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 22:16 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
[SpA]DrMcMoist wrote:
That's the thing, my monitor is pretty new but I dunno if it uses a DVI input. I doubt it though.

EDIT: Nah I checked it out. It's only VGA.

EDIT EDIT: The thing is, I could probably get an adapter to convert from DVI to VGA but I'm just wondering if the visuals will take a hit if I do this.
it's worth a shot. I just found my DVI/HDMI adapter lying around so it might be worth rummaging through some cables and stuff you've got stashed somewhere.

de 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 02:32 
Has learned to write! (190)
as far as i know you need something like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDFury-Gamer-Fu ... 128&sr=8-1
or this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDfury-1080P-HD ... 128&sr=8-3
cause the ps3 hdmi output signal is hdcp protected and with a standard dvi-vga adapter you won't see more than a black screen

de 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 10:57 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Buy a new monitor! :18

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 14:34 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Yeah, pretty lousy if your new monitor doesn't work over dvi as that's pretty much handling the fact if you can watch HD or not. VGA won't ... :? as far as I know.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 15:10 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
That HD Fury will work as a short term solution.

I plan on getting a new TV soon enough anyway. Decent 32 inch TV's are fairly easy to come by anyway, and I'll be able to set up a PS3 and my Xbox 360 without having to switch wires around too which will be much better. Then of course, I can just hook the PS3 up through HDMI and the 360 can remain VGA. My 360 is gonna be 3 years old this month so it doesn't have any fancy schmancy HDMI on it.

ro 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 10:38 
Geek (736)
You can ceck if you have "component" (is something with 5 jacks if I remember well), there is hdmi to component cable

nl 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 10:53 
SpA Fookah (4459)
No jacks, tulips. But if you have those, that would be good quality yes.