Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:10

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: HD5870 Rumours
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 20:16 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=18240

I think this warrants me posting a smiley if it's true.

nl 
 Post subject: Re: HD5870 Rumours
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 21:14 
Has no REAL life! (2546)
Saw it on tweakers, yeah looks good~

si 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 21:21 
Geek (690)
Yes, it will completely kick ass.

Anyone wanna buy my overly priced HD4870 when these come out?

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 21:38 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Murk wrote:
Yes, it will completely kick ass.

Anyone wanna buy my overly priced HD4870 when these come out?
I'll buy it for £10

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 21:54 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Can anybody tell me what all this means?

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 22:29 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
[SpA]DrMcMoist wrote:
Can anybody tell me what all this means?
basically it's a hardware geek's wet dream.

ro 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 23:03 
The Necromancer (4970)
Uhm... The only thing I see that is impressive are the GFLOPS of the HD5870 and only in X2 CrossFire mode compared to a SINGLE GTX 295. Yeah, GFLOPS are nice and dandy but look at the texture fill rate etc. - massive processing power (to make geeks wet their pants) with lots of bottlenecks in other parameters that actually matter just as much if not more.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 23:59 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
Uhm... The only thing I see that is impressive are the GFLOPS of the HD5870 and only in X2 CrossFire mode compared to a SINGLE GTX 295.
The HD5870 X2 wasn't in crossfire, the X2 doesn't mean 2 cards, it just means two dies on one card. It's a single X2 vs a single GTX295. They have been doing the X2's since the 3870's came out. The peak Gtexels have been low on all the ATI cards and they have performed very well (for example the 4870 and 4870 X2). The Gpixel fillrate has also been low on all the cards to date, but on the 5870 X2 it's double what the GTX295 is. It's does around 155% more GFLOPS as well, which in my opinion is pretty impressive in raw performance.

It's only rumours anyway, and they were released in April, a reasonably long time ago ;)

ro 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 01:23 
The Necromancer (4970)
Well - two dice on one card is still kinda like two cards and costs just as much, so you can't compare it directly. Don't get me wrong - I am now a happy ATI card owner but I'm simply not impressed by the figures they posted here.
Also - ATI cards didn't perform THAT well with the lower parameters. NVIDIA pretty much rules the high-end sector while ATI offers better performance for the buck. We'll have to wait and see since these figures are old indeed...

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 09:12 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
At the moment I'm a Nvidia owner ;) The annoying think is my CPU holds it back D:

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 09:55 
Geek (975)
I've really gone off Graphic Cards. I've always changed mine every 12-18mths but I really don't see the point anymore. Game improvements don't justify the hugh expense. Graphics are good enough now and companies need to make the games better now, not graphics.

So I'm sticking with my 10month old 1gb 4870 for at least another 18-24mths and will jsut reduce quality. I'm not going to be duped into buying a £200+ card in order to play a £30 game ever again - as in the that so many people did with Crysis.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 10:19 
Has learned to write! (173)
[SpA]JediLardMaster wrote:
I've really gone off Graphic Cards. I've always changed mine every 12-18mths but I really don't see the point anymore. Game improvements don't justify the hugh expense. Graphics are good enough now and companies need to make the games better now, not graphics.

So I'm sticking with my 10month old 1gb 4870 for at least another 18-24mths and will jsut reduce quality. I'm not going to be duped into buying a £200+ card in order to play a £30 game ever again - as in the that so many people did with Crysis.
I try to aim for a 2 year cycle and I almost ended up with a 4870 myselflast time (only NVidia did their big price cuts first). Towards the end, you can still run everything you want, just not necessarily at high res. On the other hand I'm also a firm believer in buying below the shiny new range (think top of the midrange stuff). Cardboard and I got a new 'puter just over 2 1/2 years ago. I upgraded my graphics a 5 months back, but both my card then and now (originally an NVIDIA 8600, now a 260) combined cost less than the one in Card's first build. He's upgraded again since then (in fact he has a whole new rig) but then he needs his for work and some lovely people gave him the money for it. I'm looking to get a new rig sometime in 2010 (first half, but I may delay for the new ranges to come out so the price of the mid-range stuff drops again ;-)
Like Moose, right now my CPU is the bottleneck for me. Currently a Core2duo@2.4gHz and it does still manage everything I need for now. Reasonably confident when I need the speed I can add a fair chunk to it by OC, but until you need it, why invalidate the warranty.

de 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 11:03 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
I'll replace my good ol' X1900XT (*) with a shiny 5xxx. :4

* Still suprised how good it still can handle current games... although I haven't played any of the over-shiny new 3D stuff, but stuff like the Batman demo run flawlessly.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 15:16 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Pretty much everything I install runs around 60fps, so until that changes, I'm not concerned about buying a new card.

If the industry rumours are true about the console's having longer life cycles than previous years, then I don't see much point in doing so anyway. PC games aren't going to change drastically either. Even Crytek are developing their Cry Engine to run on previous hardware so what's the point in having two of these things in Crossfire?

PC gaming just strikes me as a really expensive hobby most of the time. I just do it cause multiplayer gaming over the net is so much better on the PC. As it should be of course. Single player games though... I'd probably still prefer to kick back with a controller in my hand. And still, nothing beats multiplayer games, huddled round a TV with can in hand, and your mates by your side. Marathon games of Mario Kart 64 and Conkers Bad Fur Day on the N64 have pretty much cemented that in my mind. Not to mention the superlative Timesplitters 2 on the Gamecube.

Sorry, I'm going a wee bit off topic here, but you get my point.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 16:03 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Conkers Bad Fur Day multiplayer was very fun with friends, and mario cart, and super smash bros :P

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 16:09 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
mario kart is still good, although I went back the other day to play goldeneye.

I had forgot how shockingly bad the controls were; I'm so used to dual analogue aiming and whatnot, that it's all but unplayable :56

just to get this off topic even more, I've always thought that lylat wars and F-Zero would be fantastic in multiplayer, but the controls were offputting for anyone who hadn't played the game before so it wasn't very competitive.

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 04:31 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (122)
I really can't decide if I want the 5870 or not. My 4870 plays everything that I throw at it on max settings. That includes Team Fortress 2 and Microsoft Office - max settings. I really couldn't justify spending too much money on it...unless it made me more sexually attractive? Could it make me more sexually attractive?

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 09:50 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
xrs wrote:
I really can't decide if I want the 5870 or not. My 4870 plays everything that I throw at it on max settings. That includes Team Fortress 2 and Microsoft Office - max settings. I really couldn't justify spending too much money on it...unless it made me more sexually attractive? Could it make me more sexually attractive?
To girls who like computers? So no, it can't :P

de 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 15:50 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
xrs wrote:
Before ya replace a 4870 with a 5870 just throw the money out of the window. :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 19:22 
I might wait till the 6800 series comes out

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 04:28 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
xrs wrote:
Before ya replace a 4870 with a 5870 just throw the money out of the window. :ugly:
Which if any women see you doing, will make you more sexually attractive.

Let's face it. If you can afford to simply discard cash like that, you've got to have a lot to spare non? :wink:

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 15:21 
I do have a shit load of monopoly money somewhere....

de 
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 09:56 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
German only: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/hard ... n_hd_5870/

Sweet! Performance around the HD4870X2 (even beating it or the GTX295 in some games), idle power consumption a bit more than the HD4670 and better picture quality... next 350 EUR of SpA donations will be spend on a new gfx card for me... then I can fix Saint's broken stuff really better... :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 12:14 
Has learned to write! (173)
Benchmarks etc. for 5870 and 5850 plus XF on Hexus.net. Prices + where to buy (but you won't find it) and a competition to win a 5870.

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 18:49 
5870x2 is going to be awesome. I hope its going to be sub £400, but I think thats unlikely :(

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 19:15 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Seriously. Why in God's name would anybody even buy this?

Is it going to make your games look any better? I mean, it would make Bart's games look better. For anybody with a circa 2008 rig and not circa 1997 though, is there even any point in spending all that cash?

si 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 21:05 
Geek (690)
[SpA]DrMcMoist wrote:
To run crysis at playable framerate

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 21:57 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Murk wrote:
[SpA]DrMcMoist wrote:
Crysis is a bit shit though.

si 
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 22:00 
Geek (690)
[SpA]DrMcMoist wrote:
Murk wrote:

Crysis is a bit shit though.
So is 3dmark but people still run it

(what a plot twist)