Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:37

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: Soundcard
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 18:49 
Has no REAL life! (2026)
Anyone suggest one in the £50 - 80 range? Needs to support 5.1, needs to pump those tooons. etc etc.

I also have no idea how to put on in my pc, cos im that cool. therein and therefore, external is preferable... but internal is cool as long as it doesnt need anything special... i doubt i have anything special :(

de 
 Post subject: Re: Soundcard
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 20:09 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
What do you need it for?

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 23:17 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Dekar wrote:
What do you need it for?
Sound on the computer is my guess 8)

de 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 02:05 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Doesnt every mainboard nowadays have a perfectly fine soundchip thing?

nl 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 03:16 
SpA Fookah (4459)
what plugs do you need on it?
Maybe you can hallor saint , he's got an x-fi where he's too noobish for, maybe your noobness contra weights the x-fi unability range and makes you able to work that junk in your trunk.

(sorry, it's too late and i'm too weird atm to talk normal)

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 07:54 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Dekar wrote:
Doesnt every mainboard nowadays have a perfectly fine soundchip thing?
Dunno, the last onboard soundcard I had sucked balls.

nl 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 10:32 
Community slut (13473)
u really don't want that x-fi tbh...

de 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 12:55 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
A real X-Fi (not that lowcost X-Fi labelled shit) is fine. :4

nl 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 13:08 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
A real X-Fi (not that lowcost X-Fi labelled shit) is fine. :4
Mine wasn't really all that low cost.... :|

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 13:51 
Has no REAL life! (2026)
I want it for my PC ^^ to play music loudly and games nicely etc etc, my inbuilt soundcard on my mobo was fucked as it threaded both mic and sound through the same output, making mumble unusable.

Atm using an external one, only supports 2.1 thou - not too fussed what "make" it is... tbh thats whats confused me more than anything else, too many makes and names and numbers i cant really understand.

Any help is appreciated :P

si 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 14:19 
Geek (690)
Creative Audigy SE 7.1 OEM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

It's like 20€. If you're not really an audiophile but are looking for clearer sound, this is already good.

Or you could use something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

If you manage to find it anywhere.

nl 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 16:05 
Nerdish, tbh. (455)
Id go (and went for amy) with the audigy its 20ish euros but internal.
the external soundscards suck unless you go for the 400 euro ones(external x-fi)

de 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 17:21 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
X-Fi > Audigy :18

Cheapest X-Fi is the Gamer version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829102006

If you find it cheaper, it's a Audigy chip labelled as X-Fi. :|

nl 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 17:46 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
X-Fi > Audigy :18

Cheapest X-Fi is the Gamer version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6829102006

If you find it cheaper, it's a Audigy chip labelled as X-Fi. :|
I have that one... If it works its allright, but damn the driver support blow more donkey cock then the entire middle east together.

si 
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 20:48 
Geek (690)
Unless you have some kickass bling bling bad mofo speakers, I personally wouldn't go for a soundcard that costs more than 35€.

de 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 09:30 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Never had driver problems with the X-Fi... ok... never tried to play a game on Vista. ;)
Murk wrote:
Unless you have some kickass bling bling bad mofo speakers, I personally wouldn't go for a soundcard that costs more than 35€.
Ye... so buy some decent speakers, too. You get the stuff so cheap nowadays. :94

at 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 13:38 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
Never had driver problems with the X-Fi... ok... never tried to play a game on Vista. ;)
Well, I have an X-Fi Platinum Fatl1ty, though not in my PC anymore, it's in my closet. The drivers for Vista (or 7) are a fucking joke! Even the drivers for the cheap on-board HD audio chip are better than Creative's. All of those advantages they advertise are nearly non existent. For example, the audio crystallizer works great, and it really does improve the music quality, if it weren't for the fact that it also distorts the music and creates a loud noise on occasion. All the other features are useless as well.
Up to a few years ago I've always been a fan of the SoundBlaster cards and I would have never used the onboard chips. Now I just use my Logitech USB Headset and USB Speakers, with a built in soundcard. The quality is virtually the same, with the added bonus that the drivers actually work.

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 13:48 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
Murk wrote:
Ye... so buy some decent speakers, too. You get the stuff so cheap nowadays. :94
I'm using XP :|

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 13:49 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]demm wrote:
[SpA]Blackhawk wrote:
Well, I have an X-Fi Platinum Fatl1ty, though not in my PC anymore, it's in my closet. The drivers for Vista (or 7) are a fucking joke! Even the drivers for the cheap on-board HD audio chip are better than Creative's. All of those advantages they advertise are nearly non existent. For example, the audio crystallizer works great, and it really does improve the music quality, if it weren't for the fact that it also distorts the music and creates a loud noise on occasion. All the other features are useless as well.
Up to a few years ago I've always been a fan of the SoundBlaster cards and I would have never used the onboard chips. Now I just use my Logitech USB Headset and USB Speakers, with a built in soundcard. The quality is virtually the same, with the added bonus that the drivers actually work.
My thoughts exactly. My formar motherboard had an onboard chip which sweeped the floor (driver wise) with the creative one.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 16:41 
Has no REAL life! (2026)
Ok - well as I'm running windows 7 I dont wanna spend £60 on an x-fi if the drivers wont work, so what are my other options available?

The audigy drivers work? or all creative ones fail@windows vista/7?

at 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 16:51 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
All Creative drivers fail on Vista/7.

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 18:27 
Geek (913)
not here!

ro 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 18:47 
The Necromancer (4970)
Nah, my Audigy 2 has been working fine for like 2.5 years now. ^^

However, at one point I thought to myself that it'd be time to change the soundcard for some reason and I bought some sort of high end SB X-Fi - needless to say the drivers utterly failed, so I returned it to the shop and never though about changing my sound card ever since. :-P

si 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 19:17 
Geek (690)
[SpA]demm wrote:
Vista/7 x64 working perfectly here.

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 19:34 
Community slut (13473)
I'm interested in this as well btw.

All my life i have bought nothing else then Creative/Soundblaster. The last time i bought it, i was turned down completely.

So, seeing i might want to buy a new card some day. What the heck are decent producers these days?

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 19:47 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
I heard the ASUS offerings were good, I guess the ASUS Xonar D1 (PCI) or DX (PCI-e) are the ones to go for.

ro 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 20:14 
The Necromancer (4970)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
I heard the ASUS offerings were good, I guess the ASUS Xonar D1 (PCI) or DX (PCI-e) are the ones to go for.
Yeah, I'd go with ASUS if I were to buy a card right now. However, I wouldn't choose the low range of cards since they are of the 5 transistors and 6 capacitors far-and-between variety which I'm allergic to. If it's just for gaming, then why buy an additional card - most on-board audio solutions are more than enough for that purpose.

Xonar D2/D2X would be my choice for price-performance.

If I were truly an audiophile, which to me is funny since you're buying expensive cards to listen to FailPeeThrees on your PC instead of putting in a CD in your home stereo (well, unless your PC is the ONLY multimedia device you have at home), then I'd go with some of Auzentech's solutions which use Creative chipsets (for good compatibility) but with none of the driver and support failings Creative has become known for in recent years.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 21:03 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
Yeah, I'd go with ASUS if I were to buy a card right now. However, I wouldn't choose the low range of cards since they are of the 5 transistors and 6 capacitors far-and-between variety which I'm allergic to. If it's just for gaming, then why buy an additional card - most on-board audio solutions are more than enough for that purpose.

Xonar D2/D2X would be my choice for price-performance.

If I were truly an audiophile, which to me is funny since you're buying expensive cards to listen to FailPeeThrees on your PC instead of putting in a CD in your home stereo (well, unless your PC is the ONLY multimedia device you have at home), then I'd go with some of Auzentech's solutions which use Creative chipsets (for good compatibility) but with none of the driver and support failings Creative has become known for in recent years.
Yeah, but spending £80 on a soundcard is a bit much imo, not that I'm the person buying one ;)

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 22:33 
Doesn't get out much (366)
Murk wrote:
[SpA]demm wrote:
Vista/7 x64 working perfectly here.
7 x64 working fine for me too. Surprised as I had to use modded drivers to get it to work in vista because creative were trying to force the update to the cards :evil:

nl 
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 12:08 
SpA Fookah (4459)
I got an audigy type from a few years back layin around doin nothin, you can have that greasy, if you want?
I myself use this one:
http://www.hardware.info/en-US/productd ... _CMSTHAGR/
Dutch review:
http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/news/ym+ ... uidskaart/
I really like this one.