Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:41

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: Televisions!
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 20:43 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Right so my parents are looking to buy a TV, they want a 32 inch one preferably, my dad watches a lot of football and I heard about 50Hz being pretty shitty when tracking fast moving things, so I guess it needs to be 100Hz.

Now what I don't know is how to find out what kind of panel each TV has. Also I don't know if it really makes a difference, since I guess input lag is only a problem if you want to use it for gaming, which will not happen, viewing angle needs to be pretty decent though.

What I was thinking was getting a Samsung LE32B550 (I'll actually be getting a LE32B551A, but its the same thing just with some extras or a different appearance, I dont know, just I can get it for ~£390). Although I heard a rumour that the Samsung TV's are pretty much a lottery with the quality of the panel you get, don't know if that is true at all.

Also the max price is £400. Anyone got any personal experience with 32 inch lcd TV's?

gb 
 Post subject: Re: Televisions!
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 20:46 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Toshiba. you dont know where the other brands are getting the parts from but most Toshiba tv components are made internally.

fuck samsung tvs.

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 20:50 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Personally I'd go for sony, but they usually cost a lot more. Samsung is making pretty decent televisions now as well though. Their led tv is very nice.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 20:51 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Well this was the Toshiba I was looking at: Toshiba Regza 32RV635DB, highly rated, but then I saw it was only 50Hz, so I don't know :x

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-32RV635 ... ce_title_1

Looks very popular

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 21:10 
SpA Fookah (4459)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL32S5500 ... 809&sr=1-2

I'd go for this one then. You do pay for the name if you buy a sony bravia television, but you get quality for it, it's well worth it.

Or spend a bit more, get 37 inch and full hd : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL37S5500 ... 123&sr=1-9

On a 32 inch it's a bit unecessary to look at full HD, 720p is more then enough, any higher is a bit pointless as the human eye won't differ that anyway by just watching tele. If you go higher then 32 inch/37 inch it starts to show. So that 37 inch wouldn't be a bad choice either.

I wouldn't bother too much with that 50hz on an lcd either. I got a 32 inch 50hz lcd sony bravia tv myself and can watch fast moving vids without a problem.
Biggest problem is the shitty quality of the aired shit they tend to send through. If you like to watch football for instance, you might wanna be looking into sport channels that gives you HD quality or downloadables that are in HD quality.

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 21:23 
Community slut (13473)
Sony bravia.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 22:07 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
afaik the Hz rating is to do with the power supply, and the maximum we get in the UK (last I heard) was 60Hz. but idk, if they're seeling them with 100Hz capability maybe its changed.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 23:17 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Sony bravia.
+1

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 23:24 
SpA Fookah (4459)
If money is no issue atm, I'd rather buy a led tv then a bravia tbh :mrgreen: DG's sister has one and it's awesome :mrgreen:
Bravia is still a very good choice though. The differences between sony and samsung lcd tvs is getting less apparent now though. Google it and you'll read a ton of reviews about telling you samsung is producing the same quality tvs for less money. It all depends on the models though.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 23:38 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
[SpA]Scatterbrain wrote:
afaik the Hz rating is to do with the power supply, and the maximum we get in the UK (last I heard) was 60Hz. but idk, if they're seeling them with 100Hz capability maybe its changed.
There are LG and Samsung sets that do 200 Mhz.

You could probably pick up a 32 inch one for around 550 - 600 quid.

You'd need to buy it online though I think, for that kind of saving.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 00:08 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
I have been told the the song bravia s5500 is not worth it at all, the v5500 is, but its out of my price range.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 00:15 
Has learned to write! (217)
http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetai ... -TXL32X15B - Panasonic Viera :D

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 00:39 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Hmmm, might be able to splash the cash to get that, what are the advantages of it over the others though?

I guess it's due to the IPS Alpha panel and 100Hz?

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 01:09 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
I am extremely confused.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 04:02 
Has learned to write! (217)
If you was going to splash the cash have a look at this - http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?m ... ts_id=2580

Its not much more then the Panasonic only like £20 more with p&p.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 04:48 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Toshiba... thats all i have to say.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 08:54 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]Frosty wrote:
If you was going to splash the cash have a look at this - http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?m ... ts_id=2580

Its not much more then the Panasonic only like £20 more with p&p.
Isn't that one normally like £600? Amazing deal if it is, dunno if my parents will go that far though.

nl 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 10:41 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Toshiba, Panasonic and Sharp are considdered a bit the same quality, which are considdered B section while philips and sony are considdered A brands, while philips doesn't export much under the name of philips, hence their export brand Sharp and their co productions and hardware suplying to Panasonic, although they are their B line.
There are a lot of rumours about samsung supplying same hardware as sony.
As I said, some samsungs are according to rumours supplying sony hardware as well, I don't know what is true of that. Same rumours tell you that some of the higher more expensive samsung teles are the same quality as the higher sony lines.
A lot of them are rumours and aren't proven, you should google it if you really wanna find out what is true of them.
What I do know is that Sony and Philips are providing top of the line A brand quality televisions for decades now, while brands like Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba are considdered a step back according to research. Again, it could all depend on which line you get from them. Next to that, there are a lot of rumours about samsung making the same kinda quality, but I wouldn't trust blindly on that. If I have money, I wouldn't doubt about going for something else then Sony, if you don't have that kind of money, I'd go for a samsung atm. ( I don't like the philips teles giving me true view soap kinda like imagery bwegh :ugly: , some ppl really like that, I love the image that sony teles give me and certainly the bravias).
Got sony televisions for years now, got some sharps, panasonics and some other ones as well. At work we got some 47 inch sony lcds, saint has a 47 inch as well I think, my gf's parents have a 55 inch sony (all bravias) and gf's sister has one of the newest samsung leds. I can assure you if you'd go for one of these that you buy quality.
Again , minimouse, google for reviews and research, sometimes, it gives you a better view on things and sometimes it's even less read work then my posts :P

P.S. Frosty has found you a freaking good deal, like he does a lot in this forum section :mrgreen: (now the only thing we gotta do is get him to step over to ati graphic cards :4)

P.P.S. 3 year extended guarantee, see if you can get that anywhere else with an A brand :P

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 13:14 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Curious where this A, B quality indicator has come from?

Minimoose the most important this about getting a TV is making sure you calibrate it correctly when you setup. Im sure if you google the model you will find some other peoples suggestions for how best to setup the picture.

and get a Toshiba.

at 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 13:40 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
You should buy a Samsung tbh. Best value for money, and the quality is the same as what you get from Sony. My parents recently bought a Samsung, my Grandparents a Sony. There is virtually no difference at all, except for the price.

nl 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 13:40 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Same as buying a receiver from let's say supertech or audiotronic oposed to buying a receiver from onkyo or yamaha. The first brands I named are clearly b line qualities or worse in the case of supertech (melting in the sun, not working anymore after a year, etc.) and the 2nd group are clearly A brands. The same exists for the teles and brands I mentioned :P
I must say I do like what I see from samsung as well. It looks like they're giving you the same quality as sony without the costs attached. I'd still buy a bravia or if you want a LED television you should buy the samsung one :4

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 13:52 
Geek (975)
That sony is bargain, check the review here:

http://hcc.techradar.com/taxonomy/term/3509

Note - Panasonic are not 'B' - they have always produced tv's on par with Sony. Phillips on the other hand have always been a mixed bag - some really good models and some god damn awful ones.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 13:58 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
samsung tvs suck royal balls.. unless your parents want a gaming tv, if your parents dont really care about picture quality and cant aford LED, get a toshibia, if they want a big flat tv then get any old crap..... Toshiba is not a B brand.

nl 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 14:17 
Community slut (13473)
All i can say is im insanely pleased with our 46" Sony Bravia 8)

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 15:22 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
People saying to do research, I have, but most of the things I've seen said they want a 32" for gaming as well as watching tv, so then it's more about thingy time, which I don't care about. Also I can never find out about the viewing angles, a lot of the panels are TNT, now I'm not sure how the technology has evolved but I have to make sure it's one with a large viewing angle. It seems that the only ones which state their viewing angles are the expensive ones, so I guess we'll have to go for one of them.

Anyway, I guess I'll put a few more hours into searching for reviews :x
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
if your parents dont really care about picture quality and cant aford LED, get a toshibia
What? Picture Quality is the most important :|

no 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 16:06 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
All i can say is im insanely pleased with our 46" Sony Bravia 8)
i got one in my room, right next to me :D

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 16:55 
Geek (975)
Mini the Sony that Frosty linked to is all you need. I've just checked with my Dad and its the exact same one he has and its really good.

What more do you need to do?

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 17:39 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Yeah that one is the one I want, but I doubt my parents will pay that much :( It's actually £459, after they add delivery, so that's significantly over £400. I dunno, I will see!

Thanks for the help everyone!

no 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 21:58 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
so that's significantly over £400
ehhh...

well i know old people are cheap

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2010, 22:28 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
if your parents dont really care about picture quality and cant aford LED, get a toshibia
What? Picture Quality is the most important :|[/quote]

sorry typo, i meant if they DO care.. my bad