It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:50

All times are UTC+02:00

nl 
 Post subject: Portal update?
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 08:20 
Community slut (13473)
Steam update last night...
Quote:
Portal - Changed radio transmission frequency to comply with federal and state spectrum management regulations
Huh?

nl 
 Post subject: Re: Portal update?
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 08:21 
Community slut (13473)
Quote:
Valve add new secret puzzles to Portal, teasing something
1-Mar-2010 What new game might they tease through Portal?
A mysterious update to Portal has changed the radios in the game to emit a series of twenty-six secret codes when brought to the correct locations. The Steam forumites are still hard at work cracking them at time of writing, but what's been deciphered so far sounds like a boot-up sequence for some computer system - perhaps one that's still alive?

Chunks translated so far read:

Interior transmission active
External data line active
Message digest active

System data dump active
User back up active
Password back up active

And the phrase "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" in checksum form (a way of verifying data). Best of all, one of the morse code snippets translates to the words "BEEP BEEEP BEEP BEEP" and so on. Translate that as if it's Morse code, and you get: LOL. Classy, Valve.

Check in with how the deciphering is going in the Steam thread. It's likely to be cracked soon, and it could well be the first hints of a new Portal game.

Update: some of the other sound files can be converted into images, showing a computer keyboard, Aperture Science letterheads, and some formulae. Check them out here.
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 2&site=pcg

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 10:45 
Geek (975)
I wish they would spend more time designing new games than thinking up new ways to tease us!

I really should play this game, I got bored after the first few levels.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 10:49 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
JUST MAKE ***TING EP 3 OR HALFLIFE 3 OR PORTAL 2 YOU RICH **NTS! ...

im so bored of new hats and left 4 dead add ons!

at 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 10:58 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
I thought it might be something like this when I read the changelog yesterday.

I've been reading the Steam forums, it's so crazy! Over 3000 posts on this topic alone.

By now, way more has been deciphered than in that post you linked, but it's not quite sure yet what it all means.

de 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 11:10 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Thats why I love Valve. :5:

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 11:14 
Community slut (13473)
Dekar wrote:
Thats why I love Valve. :5:
Excactly! I LOVE their marketing!

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 11:21 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]demm wrote:
I thought it might be something like this when I read the changelog yesterday.

I've been reading the Steam forums, it's so crazy! Over 3000 posts on this topic alone.

By now, way more has been deciphered than in that post you linked, but it's not quite sure yet what it all means.
Is there a post which summs all findings up?

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 11:22 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
True, great marketing, but how about they make some games to market. I miss my speechless physicist.

at 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 11:39 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
Yes, there are some posts that try to summarize everything, but most of the are outdated.

What it all comes down to is this:
There are radios in portal, as there always used to be. You need to go get those radios, pick them up and carry them to some location. Suddenly it will start transmitting morse code or SSTV. SSTV is a way to transmit pictures through sound. In total, there are 26 radios, 4 transmitting morse code and the rest SSTV.

The best summary is here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1169027

What this summary doesn't mention so far is, that they have found a phone number, used for BBS (a 90's forum system through modems). If you connect to it, you get some weird shit like this:
http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.php?p ... count=1441 (2nd picture is an elephant)
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6278/portalascii.png
http://i.imgur.com/Z01I6.png (blurred ASCII, so you can easily see the contours of the Portal sentry)

What it all comes down to is this: EPISODE 3 and PORTAL 2. Many of the hints feature some known theme (image, voice, ...) of one of the games. Speculation is, that the next part of those games will feature them more interconnected than before. (as we already know, Portal takes place in the HL universe)

The funniest thing is this: One radio transmit morse code, which if you spell it out translates to:
BEEP BEEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP
BEEP BEEEP BEEP BEEP
And if you translate that back it spells out LOL.
Valve is trolling us! :demm:

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 11:42 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]demm wrote:
Yes, there are some posts that try to summarize everything, but most of the are outdated.

What it all comes down to is this:
There are radios in portal, as there always used to be. You need to go get those radios, pick them up and carry them to some location. Suddenly it will start transmitting morse code or SSTV. SSTV is a way to transmit pictures through sound. In total, there are 26 radios, 4 transmitting morse code and the rest SSTV.

The best summary is here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1169027

What this summary doesn't mention so far is, that they have found a phone number, used for BBS (a 90's forum system through modems). If you connect to it, you get some weird shit like this:
http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.php?p ... count=1441 (2nd picture is an elephant)
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6278/portalascii.png

What it all comes down to is this: EPISODE 3 and PORTAL 2. Many of the hints feature some known theme (image, voice, ...) of one of the games. Speculation is, that the next part of those games will feature them more interconnected than before. (as we already know, Portal takes place in the HL universe)

The funniest thing is this: One radio transmit morse code, which if you spell it out translates to:
BEEP BEEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP
BEEP BEEEP BEEP BEEP
And if you translate that back it spells out LOL.
Valve is trolling us! :demm:

Whahaha thats fkin awsome :mrgreen:

at 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 11:46 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
Another thing I forgot: the title in the BBS system is GladOS 3.11.
March 11th is the during the Game Developers Conference. Gabe Newell will receive the Game Developers Choice Pioneer Award on that day.

Speculation is, that an announcement will be made during that speech.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 12:06 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
He better bloody do, if he announces left 4 dead 17 i will... well... piss and moan about it like an inconsiderate prick on forums to people who can't do anything about it anyway.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 15:57 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
I hope he announces L4D3.

I think I'd laugh until my heart exploded.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 16:05 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
now you get a tooth pick melee weapon, and they added brand new f**k all.

pl 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 16:10 
Has no REAL life! (1715)
I love how valve started avalanche of speculations and discussions with something that brilliant :D They extracted the sounds, cleaned them a bit http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1169929 , it sound like 2 people talking, speculations are Barney and Alex. I bet in Ep3 we will find out a lot of connections between Aperture Science, GLaDOS AI and a main mystery.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 16:37 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
im sick of being teased, it's given me blue balls from all the teasing - just give me the stinking game that we should have got ages ago. Short episodes that come out frequently... ha!

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 17:05 
Geek (975)
Whatever is announced it will be shipping Nov 10, then delay until March 11, then Sept 11 until finally launched Jun 2012.

However pre-orders will be availabe from next month with a free exclusive skin for Freemans Crowbar

pl 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 17:26 
Has no REAL life! (1715)
Quote:
We have coordinates, blueprints, hailing frequencies. Quite ingenious of Dr. Mossman to hide it all in the carrier wave.
Seems like Borealis might be the link between portal and hl series and ep3 will focus heavily on the infamous Borealis.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 17:40 
Geek (993)
This makes no sense whatsoever, gonna have a look for myself. :|

at 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 18:10 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
The newest version of that image:

se 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 18:16 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
How exactly was the audio converted to images?

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 18:21 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
just release/announce the game! i seriously cant be bothered with all this bullshit teasing... just gives the steam forum "insert name here" something to waste the days with... no offence, im just sick of it... id rather have the game given to me in a timely mannor than get an erection from a load of BS propaganda then receive a 4 hour game 700 years later.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 18:24 
Geek (993)
They don't look like EP.3 images, maybe more likely something to do with Portal 2.

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 19:10 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
just release/announce the game! i seriously cant be bothered with all this bullshit teasing... just gives the steam forum "insert name here" something to waste the days with... no offence, im just sick of it... id rather have the game given to me in a timely mannor than get an erection from a load of BS propaganda then receive a 4 hour game 700 years later.
So impatient :lol:

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 19:12 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
:shock: MOOSE!!!!!!

oh wait,... i get it... hardy ha ha.. my bad i get impatient when im made to wait 3-5 years... for a 4 hour game. :(

:ugly:

at 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 19:21 
Has no REAL life! (1831)
m3n wrote:
How exactly was the audio converted to images?
http://tinyurl.com/yecbo5q
[SpA]Repel wrote:
They don't look like EP.3 images, maybe more likely something to do with Portal 2.
True, at this point it's pretty much just speculation. But still, one of the pictures shows the contours of either 2 vortigons or dog and someone else. Another one looks like a combine soldier. And the voices in the audio transmission sound like people from HL2.

So hopefully this event is related to EP3 and Portal 2, because if it is only for Portal 2, there will be thousands of upset fans. Would be strange if Valve manages to upset people with their last two game announcements, even though their games rock :demm:

gb 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 19:26 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
at the end of ep2 it hinted to portal so im pretty sure they will stick both together...

pl 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 20:27 
Has no REAL life! (1715)
Well the portal guns technology and probably GLaDOS are located on Borealis, so two games must be related ;) And I'm sure combine would love to get the hands on portal gun :mrgreen:

se 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 20:33 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
[SpA]demm wrote:
Thanks.