Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:47

All times are UTC+02:00

nl 
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 08:54 
Community slut (13473)
My biggest objection to switching to windows 7 is the Vista/win7 theme. I simply can't work with it, and for that reason i refuse to switch to windows 7.

Even at work we *need* to work with 7 as we're Microsoft partner, and they tell us we're only allowed to run 1 version behind (which would be Vista). So far i've been successfull in keeping windows XP on my laptop, but i know its a battle i am going to lose in the long run.

Now my collegue stumbled upon this little nifty tool, which might just make my life with windows 7 more barable.

Behold, the windows Classic Shell tool for Windows 7!

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/features.html
Quote:
Classic Start Menu is a clone of the original start menu, which you can find in all versions of Windows from 95 to Vista. It has a variety of advanced features:

* Drag and drop to let you organize your applications
* Options to show Favorites, expand Control Panel, etc
* Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable
* Translated in 35 languages, including Right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew
* Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
* Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
* Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
* Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins
* Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
* Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
* And last but not least – it's FREE!

If you have used the start menu in older versions of Windows you’ll feel right at home:

nl 
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 10:17 
Has learned to write! (188)
Apart from Windows Vista, have you ever even tried to work with the Windows 7 interface for 1 week straight? Because I can tell you that at first it is all very new and such and takes a little time to adjust, but after getting used to it, I was horrified by the fact that I had to switch back to Windows XP because of unavailability of my own PC.

You should just give it a decent chance.
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
My biggest objection to switching to windows 7 is the Vista/win7 theme. I simply can't work with it, and for that reason i refuse to switch to windows 7.

Even at work we *need* to work with 7 as we're Microsoft partner, and they tell us we're only allowed to run 1 version behind (which would be Vista). So far i've been successfull in keeping windows XP on my laptop, but i know its a battle i am going to lose in the long run.

Now my collegue stumbled upon this little nifty tool, which might just make my life with windows 7 more barable.

Behold, the windows Classic Shell tool for Windows 7!

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/features.html
Quote:
Classic Start Menu is a clone of the original start menu, which you can find in all versions of Windows from 95 to Vista. It has a variety of advanced features:

* Drag and drop to let you organize your applications
* Options to show Favorites, expand Control Panel, etc
* Shows recently used documents. The number of documents to display is customizable
* Translated in 35 languages, including Right-to-left support for Arabic and Hebrew
* Does not disable the original start menu in Windows. You can access it by Shift+Click on the start button
* Right-click on an item in the menu to delete, rename, sort, or perform other tasks
* Available for 32 and 64-bit operating systems
* Has support for skins, including additional 3rd party skins
* Fully customizable in both looks and functionality
* Support for Microsoft’s Active Accessibility
* And last but not least – it's FREE!

If you have used the start menu in older versions of Windows you’ll feel right at home:

nl 
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 10:40 
Community slut (13473)
Yes i have cause its being forced upon me at work.

gb 
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 14:16 
Clan leaders (1417)
"Fear change."

eu 
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 14:28 
Getcha' Pull (402)
[SpA]th3-mute wrote:
"Fear change."
Amen brother, Amen!

nl 
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 13:33 
Has no REAL life! (1306)
i like the new start menu of win 7,
you can search in the start menu, swithing between program's have never been this easy

comon saint, it's gonna take a day or 2 max before you are used to it

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 15:42 
Clan leaders (1417)
I do need to get laid.

Windows 7 hasn't helped with that yet, but it's good for computery type tasks...

de 
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 20:33 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Saint is like the old man sitting on his chair in front of his door not moving for ages! :18

gb 
PostPosted: 08 May 2010, 12:15 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
I use a Windows 3.1 shell on XP.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 13:01 
Clan leaders (1417)
This actually reminds me of one of my first encounters with Win95, just as I had my first PC (was an Amiga boy for years) in Jan96...

Thought it'd be cool to run a C64 emulator, but didn't know much about Windows configuration yet; so installed this emulator which worked a treat... However when I switched it off and rebooted, the machine would only boot straight into C64 mode... Most expensive C64 ever (pc had cost £1500 and the realisation that I'd turned it into a C64 almost made me cry; until after several hours I used factory restore mode to wipe the fucker!)!

in 
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 10:52 
Illiterate (3)
There are so many reason to switching on Win 7 to XP.There are list of Reason Why I Choose Win7

HomeGroup : Takes the headache out of sharing files and printers on a home network.
Jump Lists : Speedy access to your favorite pictures, songs, websites, and documents.
Windows Search: Find virtually anything on your PC, instantly.
Windows Taskbar: Better thumbnail previews, easier-to-see icons, and more ways to customize.Windows 7 works the way you want
Performance improvements :Designed to sleep and resume quicker, be less memory hungry, and spot USB devices faster.Windows 7 makes new things possible
Power saver Scheme is the best feature of it.It consume less power then the XP.It increase my betray life.

Last edited by pollkmartine on 30 Jul 2010, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 11:03 
SpA Fookah (4459)
This topic needs to be shot in the head :P

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 11:40 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
I'm catching up on your post count Bucky. :4

in 
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010, 18:58 
Illiterate (4)
I have this Operating System, and Its good as compare to other Operating system because Its give so many new features and Windows 7 are advancements in side panel, touch, speech, and handwriting recognition.

dk 
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010, 22:28 
Likes to type... (290)
xp till i die

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 14:57 
Has no REAL life! (1620)
pollkmartine wrote:
HomeGroup : Takes the headache out of sharing files and printers on a home network.
When was this a headache? Homegroup has been in win since XP it just wasn't called Homegroup, and now that its been re-written its a major pain to get networking with older machines and servers so much so that a friend of mine just built a UNIX file server to bypass the problem in his office.
pollkmartine wrote:
Jump Lists : Speedy access to your favorite pictures, songs, websites, and documents.
Windows Search: Find virtually anything on your PC, instantly.
Organise your files better and this was never a problem.
pollkmartine wrote:
Windows Taskbar: Better thumbnail previews, easier-to-see icons, and more ways to customize.Windows 7 works the way you want
Performance improvements :Designed to sleep and resume quicker, be less memory hungry, and spot USB devices faster.Windows 7 makes new things possible
Power saver Scheme is the best feature of it.It consume less power then the XP.It increase my betray life.
This is its advantage, how ever with all the extra memory you're taking up using Win7 Search as it catalogues and retrieves you're information for a badly organised database your power advantages disappeared.

Though what can I really say I use a GEM shell on Vista 64.

Windows 7 is not good for my work flow... I'm kinda in agreement with Saint I'd prefer more customisation... the "seeming" lack of control I have with 7 out of the box means my workflow would be all over the place while I got used to it, when I have worked with it its been a pain.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 15:17 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Honestly, I am shocked howard hasn't jumped all over this thread ^^

:shock:

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 17:40 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
haters gunna hate

i think windows 7 is pretty good

lu 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 18:14 
Has no REAL life! (1548)
I'm loving Windows 7.
For my use it's great.
And the taskbar is pretty awesome! 8)

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 18:40 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:

What on earth for? No one is gonna change their mind 'cos I voice my opinion and everyone thinks (for reasons I haver never grasped) that they are a bloody expert on OSs. If you guys choose to use useless, antiquated, slow-assed, unstable, virus susceptible OSs then that's your prerogative.

Have fun :lol:

lu 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 18:50 
Has no REAL life! (1548)
[SpA]Howard wrote:

What on earth for? No one is gonna change their mind 'cos I voice my opinion and everyone thinks (for reasons I haver never grasped) that they are a bloody expert on OSs. If you guys choose to use useless, antiquated, slow-assed, unstable, virus susceptible OSs then that's your prerogative.

Soooo, why do you think you're an OS expert? :demm:

<3

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2010, 19:23 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]Migu wrote:
Soooo, why do you think you're an OS expert?
He once raped my sweet virgin butt checks, when i told him i was using XP, and that vista can carefully chew the bark of my big fat log. ^^

Seriously though,... he raped me.... for like 2hours ....

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 00:36 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Migu wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

Soooo, why do you think you're an OS expert? :demm:

<3
...Because I am?
:lol:

Seriously though, I could not give a warm pint of anal leakage what y'all do with your "pc's". I know what I know and those who listen to me are better for it. If you choose to remain afraid of change and ignorant about OSs ( and ignorance is the one and only reason that Vista was never recognised as M$s best OS) yet loudly and continuously voice your "opinion" (based on nothing so you are just following the herd like sheep) then so be it. Bothers me not one jot. I'll just enjoy the fuck out of DX10 and 11 games will you slash around knee deep in your ageing nonsense.
Seriously though,... he raped me.... for like 2hours ....
And you begged for more, bitch. :4

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 19:09 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Who are you talking at Howard? :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 19:39 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
Honestly? No one in particular. We all know who the XP-ites are and we all knwo there is no reason behind their decision to not upgrade than fear and ignorance. Vista got dragged over the coals for being the worst thing since cancer but the simple fact that it is better than XP in every measurable way gets utterly ignored because the haters never even tried it.

As I have said time and time again, I have installed far too may PCs over the years not to know what I am doing and the fact that all my PCs work perfectly speaks for itself. :4

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 20:00 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
Honestly? No one in particular. We all know who the XP-ites are and we all knwo there is no reason behind their decision to not upgrade than fear and ignorance. Vista got dragged over the coals for being the worst thing since cancer but the simple fact that it is better than XP in every measurable way gets utterly ignored because the haters never even tried it.

As I have said time and time again, I have installed far too may PCs over the years not to know what I am doing and the fact that all my PCs work perfectly speaks for itself. :4
M!gu and Me i assumed from the quotations?!

"We all know who the XP-ites are and we all know there is no reason behind their decision to not upgrade than fear and ignorance. "

Howard, you missed out Laziness and wanting to spend the money on food and illegal substances ^^ which are my reasons not to upgrade my shit at home. :D :D :lol:

Plus i use vista at work, and its fine dont get me wrong, but it has more of an ability to annoy me all day, by constantly asking my permission for shit and crashing photoshop every time im just about to save :roll: lol

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 10:14 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Howard wrote:

M!gu and Me i assumed from the quotations?!

"We all know who the XP-ites are and we all know there is no reason behind their decision to not upgrade than fear and ignorance. "

Howard, you missed out Laziness and wanting to spend the money on food and illegal substances ^^ which are my reasons not to upgrade my shit at home. :D :D :lol:

Plus i use vista at work, and its fine dont get me wrong, but it has more of an ability to annoy me all day, by constantly asking my permission for shit and crashing photoshop every time im just about to save :roll: lol
First up - you buy your OS's?! As in you willingly GIVE money to M$? Whoa... Then again, people in this board own 360s so I should check my sanity at the door with my coat. :ugly:

Second - for the love of everything fucking holy, TURN UAC OFF!!!! I am sick beyond my ability to insult people of everyone yammering on about UAC as the most annoying thing in the world. Yes it is, but it has an off-switch!!! GAH! /rant :D

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 10:47 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Hey Howard, :ugly: what the hell is a UAC? :mrgreen: :ugly:

Yeah ofc i buy my OS, duhhh, plus its XP so it was sooooooo cheap ^^ yeah, OS's are the only pieces of software i pay for, as they are normally the cheapest too. :D Have u seen how much photoshop and 3ds max are legitimately lol

ro 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 16:25 
Geek (602)
Since when vista is considered to be a good OS ? O_o i rage-uninstalled it after a month...

gb 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 16:40 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
What do you use now Edeph?