Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:38

All times are UTC+02:00

se 
 Post subject: fans
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 15:29 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
Since a few months back, my komputar has started dying on me when I'm doing CPU heavy tasks such as rendering or converting videos or compiling something.

I've been told to clean the fans out but I'm having a hard time believing that alone could be the cause. Should I just clean the err... propellers or other parts as well? Is there any way to instruct my komputar to take things down a notch?

I'd prefer being able to fix it without actually replacing anything since I'm about to toss this komputar anyway, but I still need some things done.

Attached is a snapshot from SpeedFan. I'm assuming the fire icon means things are bad. (I checked the "Automatic fan speeds" checkbox just now, first time installing SpeedFan).

Attachments:
File comment: Speedfan screenshot
Speedfan screenshot
speedfan.jpg [ 150.5 KiB | Viewed 4509 times ]

gb 
 Post subject: Re: fans
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 15:36 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
i take it that you've cleaned out any dust and other crap? and that core 1 (the one at 76 degrees) is your CPU?

as for cleaning it out, other that dusting w/ a can of compress air, i don't know too much. maybe open it up and take a look at the fan while stuff is running? can't think of much else to do, other than make sure it hasn't been knocked and isn't connected properly (CPU fans especially can be quite finnicky)

de 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 15:38 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Is this during idle or after/during 30mins of gaming?

76° would be high for idle and borderline for gaming.

Last time I cleaned my fans the temperature dropped by 10°.

nl 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 19:41 
Community slut (13473)
Clean your fans and the rest of the PC with a vacuum cleaner. When you clean your fan's make sure you hold the blade so it wont start spinning! The blades etc you can clean with those things you can clean your ears with as well.

If the CPU still remains too hot it could be the fan is not correctly fitted (anymore) or the coolingpaste completely dried out.

at 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 21:13 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
I'll just highjack this thread.

It's been like this for I believe 4 weeks now in idle. Started from one hour to the next one after I got a bluescreen for no reason. What do I do?

(Don't ask me how it survived this long.)

se 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 21:20 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
[SpA]Scatterbrain wrote:
i take it that you've cleaned out any dust and other crap? and that core 1 (the one at 76 degrees) is your CPU?

as for cleaning it out, other that dusting w/ a can of compress air, i don't know too much. maybe open it up and take a look at the fan while stuff is running? can't think of much else to do, other than make sure it hasn't been knocked and isn't connected properly (CPU fans especially can be quite finnicky)
No, I was just about to. I have no idea what Temp1 or Temp2 is. I figured I'd just leave the screenshot here for you guys to see.
[SpA]Dekar wrote:

It's from about 15 minutes after booting the komputar up again from yet another crash. When idle everything but Temp1 and Core is the same. The upper Temp1 is at 47C (down from 54) and Core is at 48 (down from 50). The lower Temp1 is still at 76C. :|
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Clean your fans and the rest of the PC with a vacuum cleaner. When you clean your fan's make sure you hold the blade so it wont start spinning! The blades etc you can clean with those things you can clean your ears with as well.

If the CPU still remains too hot it could be the fan is not correctly fitted (anymore) or the coolingpaste completely dried out.
Correctly fitted? Like, loose?

I'll give it a go now.

nl 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 22:22 
Community slut (13473)
m3n wrote:
[SpA]Scatterbrain wrote:

No, I was just about to. I have no idea what Temp1 or Temp2 is. I figured I'd just leave the screenshot here for you guys to see.
[SpA]Dekar wrote:

It's from about 15 minutes after booting the komputar up again from yet another crash. When idle everything but Temp1 and Core is the same. The upper Temp1 is at 47C (down from 54) and Core is at 48 (down from 50). The lower Temp1 is still at 76C. :|
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

Correctly fitted? Like, loose?

I'll give it a go now.
Nope, tightly screwed, it should really be fixed proper onto each other. The more contact it makes, the better!

@ [SpA]Relentless

Fix your GPU fan! 109c is mental on idle!

de 
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 22:24 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Fix your GPU fan! 109c is mental on idle!
This. :o

de 
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 10:37 
Geek (856)
109°C is really high. But it depends on your GPU. My 8800GT SLI system had 130°C. No I didnt try to boil eggs on it :-) But for most cards over 90°C is hell. Throttling starts and soon the dieing begins.
Check if your GPU fan is running or if the cooling attachment is loose and/if the thermal grease is properly done.

General tipps:
Don't let dust get into your system. It will lower the speed of your fans, hence the airflow, lower the cooling area of your fins etc.
A proper airflow is important. One area for intake, one area for exhaust. Fans at the side of the pc or other unusual places are just killing your airflow and harming your temperatures
The bigger the fan the better. Generally spoken a 140mm fan at 600rpm can move as much air as a 80mm fan with 2000rpm
If you are not bad at pcing and your mainboard/gpu supports it undervolt your hardware. It will have the same speed but will require considerably less power and run cooler.

se 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 16:53 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
I opened my PC today to check the GPU. It really was very dusty and I thought cleaning it would do the trick. But after reconnecting and checking I noticed that the fan wasn't turning at all, so that's likely the problem.

What's confusing me a bit is that there are two cables going from the GPU that aren't connected at the other end (one has GND written on it which is ground obviously, the other one SPDIF which I never heard of before, but I guess it's just the signal one). There was only one connecter nearby where the cable could've gone but no combination I tried made the fan turn - in fact, I think I shorted my PC a few times ^_^''
I also checked the internet now and apparently the card (Geforce 9300GE) doesn't even have an external power supply, which leads me to the conclusion that fan is just broken (it hardly turns when I try to turn it manually with my fingers).

I guess I will buy a new card some time in the future (since this one isn't really worth saving, you all know my famous TF2 screenshots :ugly: )

I also just checked and apparently I just made things worse - the GPU is now running at 125°C while idling.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 17:19 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Relentless wrote:
I opened my PC today to check the GPU. It really was very dusty and I thought cleaning it would do the trick. But after reconnecting and checking I noticed that the fan wasn't turning at all, so that's likely the problem.

What's confusing me a bit is that there are two cables going from the GPU that aren't connected at the other end (one has GND written on it which is ground obviously, the other one SPDIF which I never heard of before, but I guess it's just the signal one). There was only one connecter nearby where the cable could've gone but no combination I tried made the fan turn - in fact, I think I shorted my PC a few times ^_^''
I also checked the internet now and apparently the card (Geforce 9300GE) doesn't even have an external power supply, which leads me to the conclusion that fan is just broken (it hardly turns when I try to turn it manually with my fingers).

I guess I will buy a new card some time in the future (since this one isn't really worth saving, you all know my famous TF2 screenshots :ugly: )

I also just checked and apparently I just made things worse - the GPU is now running at 125°C while idling.
Wait...what? Dude, SPDIF is a soundcard feature. You sure youa re looking at the right thing here? I'm rather worried... :?

de 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 17:52 
Geek (856)
hey dood,

the two loose wires are the spdif connector. You can attach it to your mainboard or sound card and then get sound over your hdmi output.

An external power supply has nothing to do with a spinning fan or not. The PCIe interface can deliver up to 75 watt without external power. Thats sufficient enough to run every card and fan in 2d mode. If supported because some cards wont boot up with enough power for 3d. But your card is a very very low end (almost over the sea so far away is the end :P) so thats not an issue here.

If you have enough space in your pc you can just attach a 80mm or 120mm fan to your gpu heatsink and power it over the mainboard or by your psu. Simple cable clips will do the trick.

a 9300 is so much low power that even full passive it shouldnt exeed about 80°C. Maybe your heatsink is loosened to and has not full contact to the gpu die.

de 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 18:20 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Run some benchmarks to finish it off and buy a new one! :D

at 
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 19:05 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
A friend from the internet I talked to over steam had the suspicion that I might have been running on onboard gfx for some reason, which would explain the high temperatures and not spinning fan he said.

Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter anymore. My PC just died an hour ago - the screen turned white, the PC itself off and I wasn't able to turn it on again since then.

I guess I got more problems than just the GPU...

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 09:33 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Voegelchen wrote:
hey dood,

the two loose wires are the spdif connector. You can attach it to your mainboard or sound card and then get sound over your hdmi output.

An external power supply has nothing to do with a spinning fan or not. The PCIe interface can deliver up to 75 watt without external power. Thats sufficient enough to run every card and fan in 2d mode. If supported because some cards wont boot up with enough power for 3d. But your card is a very very low end (almost over the sea so far away is the end :P) so thats not an issue here.

If you have enough space in your pc you can just attach a 80mm or 120mm fan to your gpu heatsink and power it over the mainboard or by your psu. Simple cable clips will do the trick.

a 9300 is so much low power that even full passive it shouldnt exeed about 80°C. Maybe your heatsink is loosened to and has not full contact to the gpu die.
That's just confusing. Having Googled about I can see you are right, Vogel, but why on earth do these things exist? PCIe cards are more than capable of getting their audio stream in with their video stream without the need for a soundcard bridge. In fact that is one o their purposes and the reason they enabled PCs to have HDMI outputs in the first place.
Having the extra cables there to link into a sound-card offers functionality that is already part of the card and its driver. It's like having an extra SATA cable on a HD to carry JPGs or something. Most odd... :?

Anyway - moot point by the sounds as it looks like Relentless' PC goose is now well and truly cooked =(

EDIT: I get it. On the 9XXX series of cards AMD were too damned cheap to put the audio decoder chip on, thus the need for it to have a bridge to the sound-card. Interesting.
EDIT 2: As a side note I installed SpeedFan for fun and realised that my north-bridge was iddling at 52C, which was too high. Quick case clean and a fan modded onto the sink and its dropped a pleasing 15 degrees. So, thatnks for bringing this up is my point. I'd not have installed SpeedFan otherwise :)

de 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 14:06 
Has learned to write! (161)
I just checked the temperatures in my computer as well, and I'm a bit worried, that the programm tells me that my CPU, my GPU and all four cores are too hot. Is this serious?

de 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 14:31 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
That should be fine.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 14:45 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Sawyer wrote:
I just checked the temperatures in my computer as well, and I'm a bit worried, that the programm tells me that my CPU, my GPU and all four cores are too hot. Is this serious?

They are within standard operational parameters but the cooler you can get your system to run the longer it will live. What fans do you have in your rig? Judging by the fact that everything is around the same temperature I would guess that you need some extra exhaust fans more than anything else.

se 
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2010, 15:31 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
Just a quick update, a friend of the family that is somewhat computer literate (= at least 100x more than me) checked my system and apparently only the GPU was cooked by a surge which lead to the PC not booting (it's now running "normally" with the GPU removed).

He'll also buy us a new GPU and PSU (current one with 250W is too shit to allow for a decent new GPU - yep, that's the wonderful 600€ complete system deal from the competent computer shop :18 ), which will total around 200€. Guess it could've been worse^^

se 
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010, 19:30 
Has no REAL life! (1168)
Just wondering if it is too hot, i have a laptop and minecraft is running :o

se 
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010, 20:02 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
I think laptops usually run a little hotter than normal PCs but that's still borderline. Clean your fans and see if it cools down.

dk 
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2010, 20:43 
Likes to type... (290)
Invest in a HeatShift from http://thermapak.com It makes no annoying sounds and its rather effective

se 
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010, 11:39 
Has no REAL life! (1168)
Quote:
SUBTOTAL $34.99
SHIPPING & HANDLING (UNITED PARCEL SERVICE - WORLDWIDE EXPEDITED) $94.71
D: im not going to buy it directly from their site then. Might check some local stores for it. Is there any site you would recommend me to buy it from?
(i'm considering buying it)

dk 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 18:51 
Likes to type... (290)
Mr.green wrote:
Quote:
SUBTOTAL $34.99
SHIPPING & HANDLING (UNITED PARCEL SERVICE - WORLDWIDE EXPEDITED) $94.71
D: im not going to buy it directly from their site then. Might check some local stores for it. Is there any site you would recommend me to buy it from?
(i'm considering buying it)
amazon.com ? if i recall right their shipping aint that expensive
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_rhf_s_1? ... =ThermaPAK

se 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 18:52 
Has no REAL life! (1168)
oh should have thought of that :|

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 19:45 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Overstock carry these but they are a bit hit and miss with stock. Worth checking out though:
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=ther ... CDUQrQQwAg

us 
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 05:33 
Geek (943)
I've had heat issues in the past. Turns out my heat sink had detached partially from my processor. Easy fix. Whenever I have heat issues, I check that, as well as the fans.

Note: This is a home-built PC, so potentially this won't happen to other people very often.

gb 
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2010, 19:39 
Has no REAL life! (5288)

Bloody GPUs :-x

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 02:17 
Has learned to write! (173)
: / Why does everyone use Speedfan? I could guess your temperatures myself better than it can.

ro 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 09:47 
Geek (602)
nope, it is really good :D
btw am i fan obsessed if i have 3 120mm fans, 1 90mm and 1 140mm fan in my pc ? :-3
the ambient even reached 27 degrees :4 and full load barely reaches 57-60