Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 16 May 2024, 05:52

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: teaching mysself guitar?
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010, 14:27 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
my sister has bought hersself a shiny new Benson electric. as i've wanted to play guitar for a while now, the plan is to comandeer it, learn to play it and make mysself infinitely more attractive to the opposite sex in doing so :ugly: i guess i could just ask her for help; but what's the best way to go about learning it mysself? i'm guessing that the internet is full of stuff for beginners, but is that the best way to go? any other recommendations you more experienced guys can give me? cheerses :4

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010, 14:48 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
When i learnt guitar we didnt have you tube and such for help so i dont really know what is out there but that is probably a good source now (damn that makes me sound old) But you cant go wrong with a good music book, or just get tabs off the net and try and learn your favourite songs :D

de 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010, 14:53 
Has learned to write! (153)
Awesome decision!
In my opinion it's possible to learn it all by yourself, but some external feedback is important in the beginning to give you a few tips, like if you cramp your wrist while playing. While videos and tutorial can always tell you how to do it right, they won't be able to specificly tell you what you are doing wrong ;D.

So maybe if you learned something, you can play it while your sister is around and hope that she'll correct you when you are doing somehing wrong, so you don't have to ask her expicitely. :ugly:

A good method is always to pick a song you really like and use it for your motivation to keep on practicing. Maybe not songs with fingerbreaking chords in the beginning. Guitar Pro is really nice to have the tabs visiualized, as you can also slow the track down and practice only certain parts.

Some nice songs for the start:
Green Day - Good Riddance, maybe not the classic E-Guitar song, but it consists of mostly basic chords (G, [Cadd9], D, Em) and sounds good with the basic strumming pattern Down,Down,Up,Up,Down,Up
Foo Fighters - Everlong, pretty easy to play
Foo Fighers - Best of you, no 'standard chords', but it's pretty easy and sounds awesome
Foo Fighers - Times like these acoustic, pretty easy and sounds nice on electric guitar, too :D
Tenacious D - Tribute, (Am, G, F, D), though F is a pain in the ass to get right in the beginning.
(I remember the first time I did the first two hammer-ons of the song, one week after I played the first chord ever on guitar, and I was all like "HOLY POOP, It actually kinda sounds like the song!)

I can highly recommend the Marty Schwartz / Guitarjamz / guitarjamz.com tutorials on youtube. He has tons of videos how to play songs the easy way, great to get the feeling for the guitar.

I've been playing guitar for roughly 11 month now and I still can't get enough of it! :D

My guitar:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010, 15:14 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
The first two songs i learnt were smoke on the water and ironman by black sabath :D recommend :D

ive got the esp ltd ec-300 and my first guitar which was a epiphone sg with emg81 pickups.

be 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010, 15:45 
Has no REAL life! (1254)

Get this funking pedal!
Just listen to it! The wah! It's glorious!
I've been bugging my guitarist so he'd buy it but he's short on money :mrgreen:

Anyway, it's great to hear people taking an interest in playing an instrument. Believe me, if you stick to it it'll change your life and you'll never be able to live without it. Also listen to a lot of music and try to focus on the different instruments. Try to visualise how they do it and learn from it.

I've also learned my instrument (drums) by myself. I believe self taught musicians play less 'robotical' than people who've taken classes (at least in the first year or so).
I do suggest that after having learned to play a bit by yourself you ask others to teach you the little things that make your instrument sound cooler and ask them to maybe correct your technique. But if you feel good doing something, don't ever let others tell you you're doing it wrong.

In short, don't give up on it too soon, or you'll miss out on a lot of fun and musical orgasms :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2010, 15:51 
Geek (993)
I learned to play mostly by using ultimate-guitar.com and using guitarpro which lets you see the tabs and play along with it

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2010, 12:29 
Has no REAL life! (1285)
Just play guitar hero!

We Shall Not Be Moved!

ie 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2010, 18:51 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Playing in sync with my mates helped me learn and downloading guitar tabs from the net.

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2010, 23:43 
Geek (913)
Learn the basic chords first!
and work on your rythm
A C D E G

Those will deffo help you later on if you can play these

If you know the basic chords good yoju cab start with B and F cause they are a bit thouger

Besides that visit tab sites and get yourself Guitar pro 5

ie 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 19:08 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
or just play Guitar Hero :twisted:

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 21:05 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
wow, loads of helpful stuff in here, thanks guys! i'll be sure to attend to as much of it as i can next time i can sit down and have a go at it :mrgreen: :26

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 21:09 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Alternatively, fuck the learning and just try and search for this!
If you don't know what that is... well... that just goes to show, how much of a secret it is in the shredding world!!!!!!

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 21:10 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
it looks like a pick in the shape of a demonic ram.

...how many points do i get for that answer? :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 21:14 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Not enough my friend... not enough....

lu 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010, 21:15 
Has no REAL life! (1548)

de 
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010, 00:35 
Has learned to write! (153)
This reminds me to have another go at "Kickapoo", oh my, that would rock if I could pull it off! :D