Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:53

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: Gaming Mouse
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 18:48 
Likes to type... (250)
Hey all,

My Razor Deathadder has decided to stop working!!!! And I am now stuck with my old crappy wireless piece of junk!!! :cry: Can anyone recomend a decent gaming mouse please?

Cheers

:4 Scouse :4

gb 
 Post subject: Re: Gaming Mouse
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 20:11 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/930592/Mi ... prd:930592

I use the 3.5G deathadder, but if it ever broke I would switch to this I think. Oh and get a decent mouse pad, mouse pad is just as important as the mouse if you care about accuracy ;)

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 20:38 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001D4X8OM/r ... B001D4X8OM

I really cannot recommend this rodent enough. I know that MS have just discontinued this product but, speaking as someone who has been gaming for a VERY long time indeed, this thing is just perfect. The feel of it (assuming you do not have tiny girl hands) is amazing, the response is perfect and the charging cable/receiver is very well designed.

Honestly a great buy - you have to consider it.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 19:00 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
logitech mx518 is a popular one, and using it mysself i can see why, it's pretty much perfect :5:
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
mouse pad is just as important as the mouse if you care about accuracy ;)
in Mr. Moose's professional opinion, does this apply to high sens users too? (just moving the wrist, or around 1-and-a-half inches of mouse movements, is enough for a 180 turn in tf2). whilst i'm probably too used to this setup to get used to anything else, but if it improves consistency then it might be worth it.

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 19:06 
Community slut (13473)
G5 4tw :5: :4

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:07 
Has learned to write! (217)
I have the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 with the everglide mouse pad that's my personal favourite.

http://www.everglide.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=42

de 
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:30 
Has no REAL life! (3230)
Logitech MX 518 8)

no 
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 23:18 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
i got Logitech MX518 and Icemat. awsome combination, but the pads under the mouse gets worn out and i need new ones.

Cant find any new pads made for MX518 in norwegian stores, but perhaps other allarounders might work.

Anyway

MX518 and Icemat (now steelseries glass version) yay

de 
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 23:52 
Has no REAL life! (3230)
Steelseries qck+ and everythings fine.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 02:17 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
mouse pad is important no matter what mouse and sensitivity :hug:

Might take a bit of experimenting to get one you like though (can be costly, so meh)

no 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 02:34 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
i was quite lucky there. think i was at a store once and could test the different ones there, liked the icemat and has stuck with that ever since.

actually, had the same one for like 8 years or so now :D

ca 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 02:39 
The Necromancer (4970)
By the way - there is no such thing as a gaming mouse. There are mice that you are comfortable with and ones you are not - that's pretty much it. ;-)

us 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 04:02 
Geek (638)
Huh, mousepad? I'll have to get one... never really thought of it I guess.
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
By the way - there is no such thing as a gaming mouse. There are mice that you are comfortable with and ones you are not - that's pretty much it. ;-)
Yeah, just don't use an apple mouse, those are just fucked up big time.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 15:33 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Fehzor wrote:
Yeah, just don't use an apple mouse, those are just fucked up big time.
agreed

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 16:11 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
I really do not understand why people still use mouse mats. Mouse mats were invented to give traction to old ball-style mice and were obviously necessary in the past, but now that mice are optical they make no sense. Unless you buy a shoddy mouse the optical system will track perfectly on just about any surface. Having a mouse pad just delineates the amount of usable space you have to move the mouse about in. Why would you want to do that? :?

nl 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 16:12 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
I really do not understand why people still use mouse mats. Mouse mats were invented to give traction to old ball-style mice and were obviously necessary in the past, but now that mice are optical they make no sense. Unless you buy a shoddy mouse the optical system will track perfectly on just about any surface. Having a mouse pad just delineates the amount of usable space you have to move the mouse about in. Why would you want to do that? :?
My steel mousemat rules. It's much better then mousing on my desk, although i have a laser mouse, you still notice the difference.

de 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 17:13 
Has no REAL life! (3230)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Mousehandling is much smoother than on the blank table. And the "mousefeet" (I think they are called like that), those small parts that actually touch the surface u are playing on, dont wear off. :18

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 17:57 
Likes to type... (250)
Thanks for all the advice guys!!!

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 18:14 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
I disagree, there are mice which are good quality and mice which are bad quality, generally the 'gaming' mice are good quality with good sensors. I tried to play tf2 on a £5 mouse and the thing was just awful. You can be comfortable with a mouse which gives you worse results than a different mouse, just due to getting used to it. You might not notice the problems it is causing (it is pretty hard to tell whether there is acceleration or smoothing without specifically looking for it). The first mouse I suggested is not a 'gaming' mouse, but it is one of the best mice around in tracking.

I was extremely comfortable with my Logitech G9 on the worst mouse mat possible, because of this I thought that I was playing the best I possibly could. When it started breaking I bought a DA 3.5G and a good mouse mat and it felt awful. After a while of adjusting I was amazed I managed to play on my previous set up...

It is the same kind of thing when people say that net settings (interp and the like) and smoothing make no difference in game...
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Tracking is better, you notice a huge difference between a decent mouse mat and a table. Whether that is just because the mouse glides better on the mouse mat rather than the sensor making errors makes no difference to how much of an advantage it gives you. Mouse mats can come in sizes like 1000x500mm so it's hardly like you can't get one big enough.

As sonny says, if you are spending money on a decent mouse, you might as well keep the glides from wearing down so much, which is another advantage of a mouse mat.

tl;dr get a good mouse and mouse mat and you will like it! :ugly:

Last edited by [SpA]Minimoose! on 11 Mar 2011, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 18:29 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
I use a mouse mat because otherwise the mouse leaves scratches on my desk. Plus I have quite a large steelseries mouse mat giving plenty of room for my mouse manouvers.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 19:43 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
I disagree, there are mice which are good quality and mice which are bad quality, generally the 'gaming' mice are good quality with good sensors. I tried to play tf2 on a £5 mouse and the thing was just awful. You can be comfortable with a mouse which gives you worse results than a different mouse, just due to getting used to it. You might not notice the problems it is causing (it is pretty hard to tell whether there is acceleration or smoothing without specifically looking for it). The first mouse I suggested is not a 'gaming' mouse, but it is one of the best mice around in tracking.

I was extremely comfortable with my Logitech G9 on the worst mouse mat possible, because of this I thought that I was playing the best I possibly could. When it started breaking I bought a DA 3.5G and a good mouse mat and it felt awful. After a while of adjusting I was amazed I managed to play on my previous set up...

It is the same kind of thing when people say that net settings (interp and the like) and smoothing make no difference in game...
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Tracking is better, you notice a huge difference between a decent mouse mat and a table. Whether that is just because the mouse glides better on the mouse mat rather than the sensor making errors makes no difference to how much of an advantage it gives you. Mouse mats can come in sizes like 1000x500mm so it's hardly like you can't get one big enough.

As sonny says, if you are spending money on a decent mouse, you might as well keep the glides from wearing down so much, which is another advantage of a mouse mat.

tl;dr get a good mouse and mouse mat and you will like it! :ugly:

Well I gotta say I disagree, but each to their own :D I would simply never dream of using a mat now - far too 90's :lol:

se 
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 20:47 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
mx518, intelli 3.0 or just ms sidewinder. guess tf2 isn't that hard on your mouse, but any of those will last you forever
[SpA]SonnyBlack wrote:
Mousehandling is much smoother than on the blank table. And the "mousefeet" (I think they are called like that), those small parts that actually touch the surface u are playing on, dont wear off. :18
only ever heard people call them that on etf2l/tf2 subforum on steampowered. :ugly:

glides or alternatively - but preferably not - skates.

at 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 09:10 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
Scouse wrote:
Hey all,

My Razor Deathadder has decided to stop working!!!! And I am now stuck with my old crappy wireless piece of junk!!! :cry: Can anyone recomend a decent gaming mouse please?

Cheers

If you were satisfied with your Deathadder... why don't you just buy another one?

ca 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 15:24 
The Necromancer (4970)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:

We are not talking about quality here. Of course quality matters. I just said that all the mice being advertised as "gaming" mice aren't necessarily the best mice for a particular person. They are very often overpriced and offer gimmicks instead of sensible features. People ejaculate about high and adjustable sensor resolution for instance because that has become the flagship parameter for "precision" without even checking the sensor or most important of all USB polling rates and so on.

Speaking of "high quality" - I think I told my story about the Razer Diamondback already. Left mouse button started locking up after like 3 weeks, the silicon lined sides started wearing off shortly after - clearly superior build quality. My Icemat Syberia headphones broke (I mean, the plastic, the still worked after some gluing ;-) after falling from a height of around 1m...
That's why for instance any Sennheiser headphones will be better "gaming" products than ones actually advertised as "gaming" products.

So again - buy GOOD quality stuff but stay away from anything that is being marketed specifically to gamers (in most cases) because it mostly focuses on gimmicks and "progamers'" needs to compare dick sizes ("Duuuude, my mouse has over 9000 dpi!").

P.S. Acceleration and smoothing are performed software-wise i.e. with drivers and don't have anything to do with the hardware. Even if a mouse has shitty drivers (incidentally the worst drivers I've ever seen and wrote about as well were Razer drivers ;-) there are ways around it.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 15:41 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:

We are not talking about quality here. Of course quality matters. I just said that all the mice being advertised as "gaming" mice aren't necessarily the best mice for a particular person. They are very often overpriced and offer gimmicks instead of sensible features. People ejaculate about high and adjustable sensor resolution for instance because that has become the flagship parameter for "precision" without even checking the sensor or most important of all USB polling rates and so on.

Speaking of "high quality" - I think I told my story about the Razer Diamondback already. Left mouse button started locking up after like 3 weeks, the silicon lined sides started wearing off shortly after - clearly superior build quality. My Icemat Syberia headphones broke (I mean, the plastic, the still worked after some gluing ;-) after falling from a height of around 1m...
That's why for instance any Sennheiser headphones will be better "gaming" products than ones actually advertised as "gaming" products.

So again - buy GOOD quality stuff but stay away from anything that is being marketed specifically to gamers (in most cases) because it mostly focuses on gimmicks and "progamers'" needs to compare dick sizes ("Duuuude, my mouse has over 9000 dpi!").

P.S. Acceleration and smoothing are performed software-wise i.e. with drivers and don't have anything to do with the hardware. Even if a mouse has shitty drivers (incidentally the worst drivers I've ever seen and wrote about as well were Razer drivers ;-) there are ways around it.
The best mice are often advertised for gamers though, even though they try to advertise the stupid features such as dpi, they are actually good mice. The mx518 and deathadder are both advertised as gaming mice and are the mice I would recommend other than the intellimouse 3.0. Of course you have to do your research because most 'gaming' mice are rip offs but that is the same with any product, the difference with mice is that there aren't really any other alternatives than the one I suggested.

Gaming/non-gaming headsets and headphones are a completely ball game than when comparing gaming/non-gaming mice, you don't get companies who make good mice really for anything other than gaming (the intellimouse 3.0 being the mouse that breaks the rule), it's not a good comparison.

Acceleration is often due to shitty firmware and if the mouse firmware isn't updated by the company then it might as well be a hardware issue. There are a lot of mice with 5-10% negative/positive acceleration. Oh, and I meant prediction, not 'smoothing' to be pedantic.

Oh and on a dpi note, some mice struggle on their max dpi so I would try and avoid setting it, since it isn't needed anyway.

Last edited by [SpA]Minimoose! on 12 Mar 2011, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 15:50 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Don't listen to these mugs. This is my mouse, and it's absolutely perfect for gaming. Just last week I was playing Broken Sword 2 with it, and it was absolutely flawless for my entire 14 minute playtime. Don't have any complaints at all.

And before you even ask; yes, it's lights come on when it's plugged into the USB. 8)

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 15:54 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Probably cost a bomb though, way too cool to be cheap!

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 15:54 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
I use a logitech G500 and its pretty tastey. It comes with mini weights too, so between rounds i can do reps with my fingers... :D

Seriously though, i do recommend a steelseries steel mouse matt, its not a matt, but a big chunk of smooth ass metal hater!, and as well as protecting my table, just feels smoother and is just a better surface, as a wooden table has micro grains and some texture to it, and glass/reflective tables can sometimes fuck with certain mice.

just saying!

Moist, that is the kind of mouse a player has,... respect! :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 16:40 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
Probably cost a bomb though, way too cool to be cheap!
Well, it's designed to resemble a high performance sports car, Jack, and they usually go for around £100,000 so, yeah!

Money isn't an issue when you're buying a mouse that looks like a car though, especially when it has working headlights. :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 16:49 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Thanks for that information Craig, appreciate it :5: